Dent
12-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Osu!

And what to make of this...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYXDY5dPhVI

Osu!

Nix
12-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Ah! Yes, I saw it the other day. Interesting, but that's it.

Also, does San-do even translate properly? They translate it as "three-way", but it sounds a little too easy.

knuckleheader
12-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Two competitors get together before the fight. Decide to take the odd man out.
A reciepe for a good exponent to get hurt unecssearily by a stoopid competition. It's just a way to put money in a promoters pocket.
If someone wants to do it. Go ahead. I say thumbs down.

powerof0ne
12-06-2009, 03:12 AM
I agree with knuckleheader and was thinking the same thing about 2 ganging up on 1. I think this would be interesting behind closed doors in the dojo but not for entertainment.

Even if two people didn't agree before hand to gang up on one it will happen sooner or later. I know if I was in that situation and somebody had another one pinned down for instance I would be attacking one of them and then go for the other one as soon as possible.

San-Do just sounds silly to me for some reason but I'm far from a Japanese linguist, too.

sandman
12-06-2009, 03:18 AM
Ah! Yes, I saw it the other day. Interesting, but that's it.

Also, does San-do even translate properly? They translate it as "three-way", but it sounds a little too easy.

I don't think a 3 way should be done in a karate gi...

:rolleyes:

FredInChina
12-06-2009, 03:19 AM
I don't think a 3 way should be done in a karate gi...

:rolleyes:
What do you have in mind then? :D

Martin H
12-06-2009, 06:36 AM
While it may have some realism that 2 fighter gang up on one (which is what WILL happen here -even if its just a very temporary alliance), it is not good sport.

marekmr
12-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Looks like really stupid idea!

Osu!

Dent
12-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Osu!

It just hit me! :eek: This would be perfect for the C-twins from my old high school. (Assuming they're still alive and kicking.) I can't count the number of times they'd bash somebody together, then wind up bashing each other immediately afterwards. :D

Osu!

marekmr
12-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Osu!

It just hit me! :eek: This would be perfect for the C-twins from my old high school. (Assuming they're still alive and kicking.) I can't count the number of times they'd bash somebody together, then wind up bashing each other immediately afterwards. :D

Osu!

Good one Dent :D

Osu!

powerof0ne
12-06-2009, 02:40 PM
What do you have in mind then? :D

Sandman wants to start his own style called "Ménage à trois ryu" ;) instead of wearing a karate gi he would wear leather biker chaps but no pants underneath and a red ball in his mouth...

jcarmello
12-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Sandman wants to start his own style called "Ménage à trois ryu" ;) instead of wearing a karate gi he would wear leather biker chaps but no pants underneath and a red ball in his mouth...

:eek:

sandman
12-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Robocrotch, you had me right up until the ball in the mouth part :D

Also, important note: this is a coed training system.

powerof0ne
12-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Robocrotch, you had me right up until the ball in the mouth part :D

Also, important note: this is a coed training system.

But of course it's coed ;)

sandman
12-06-2009, 10:33 PM
But of course it's coed ;)

Just wanted to make sure everyone was clear on that point :D

powerof0ne
12-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Just wanted to make sure everyone was clear on that point :D

Just had an image of you in a Hugh Heffner like playboy robe as your uniform ;)

Mas
12-07-2009, 03:21 AM
Looks like really stupid idea! Osu!

A pathetic one if you'd say, but good for just watching with no interest.

:eek::eek:, and the theme song would be........?????

vapor
12-07-2009, 04:53 AM
back...on.....topic....please!

vapor

FredInChina
12-07-2009, 05:39 AM
And what to make of this...?
Half way through the vid, one anchor says: "it has never been done before!"
Hummm, wondering if there is a good reason for that! :D
Osu!

powerof0ne
12-07-2009, 05:45 AM
Back on topic, I spent about five minutes trying to find out if Rick Anderton the founder of san-do had a martial art background but couldn't find anything but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I did find a sandojitsu karate style or something of the matter but it has nothing to do with this card.

Apparently this has been going on for over a year and I think they may have been recording it for over a year to start "showing" the fights? I'm not exactly sure on that, hmm.

SHIDOKANATLANTA
12-07-2009, 02:29 PM
very cool stuff. can't wait to see more. there are so many ways for fighters to test themselves. can't see this as being bad.

jcarmello
12-07-2009, 02:30 PM
:eek::eek:, and the theme song would be........?????[/QUOTE]

"Do You Really Want to Hurt Me" Boy George Culture Club:D

jcc
12-07-2009, 03:48 PM
very cool stuff. can't wait to see more. there are so many ways for fighters to test themselves. can't see this as being bad.

Osu!

Sorry, I really don´t understand how this could be any good. Anyone with half a brain would just keep out the way, let the other 2 bash the sh*t out of each other and then pick off the one left standing - where´s the skill there? :D

OSU-EN2

SHIDOKANATLANTA
12-07-2009, 06:58 PM
to each their own. i can't to see more. i know a couple of the guys fighting in this and they are good fighters.

sandman
12-07-2009, 07:05 PM
It would be interesting to see what the rules are - they didn't really go into that on the clip. Can you hold someone for the 3rd guy to batter on? Is there a time limit on how long someone can stand inactive?

I don't know - 2 on 1 training is good in the dojo under controlled circumstances but I'm not sure that I like it as a spectator sport....

SHIDOKANATLANTA
12-07-2009, 07:53 PM
they have really good rules that make it safe and exciting. during the 3 man part, it's stand up fighting with throws, 5 second clinch and no ground fighting (which in reality there won't be time for rolling). once it gets down to the last 2, then it's mma (with ground fighting) with a gi on. no elbows, no pulling the head into knees, etc. it is a great way to see a martial artist fight against more than one opponent. 2 against one will make the fighter make every blow count. as stated in the video, martial artist train fighting against multiple opponents in the dojo, but this is a full contact sport opportunity for them to try it. if you grew watching the american gladiators (where the contestants were always put at a disadvantage), imagine the enjoyment fans will get out of this. i gonna enjoy it.

sandman
12-07-2009, 07:59 PM
ShidokanAtlanta - I did like the old American Gladiators show. One of my dojo mates at the time had long blond surfer's hair and we nicknamed him "Malibu" after one of the gladiators. :D

SHIDOKANATLANTA
12-07-2009, 08:05 PM
notice how the contestants were always smaller than the gladiators and most of the events favored the gladiators.

jcarmello
12-08-2009, 12:26 AM
Looks like fun.........for the younger bucks.

If that was real life, I would rather swing for the fences with my Louisville Slugger then see how I would fare with feet and fists. But I would certainly love to watch these fights, study strategies and be an armchair quarterback.:D

Godai
12-08-2009, 12:44 AM
I was wondering why one guy always seemed to be hanging back a little. They never seem to all be fighting each other at once. But I must be the odd man here....I'd like to do it :o

Well at least once.

Angelslayer
12-08-2009, 06:12 AM
this looks really, really entertaining and yes I would pay to watch it. I can already see myself watching this with my friends over a few beers, awesome.

also I noticed some gracie jiu jitsu/judo guys in there it'd be nice to see some judo guys throwing people around while dodging random haymakers

SHIDOKANATLANTA
12-08-2009, 10:00 AM
it will provide a testing lab to view 2 against one. and it all fighters will be trained martial artists.

GJEC
12-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Interesting ...

I've seen countless demo's where people have done 2 against 1.

I wonder if it works for real?

Gary

SHIDOKANATLANTA
12-08-2009, 02:06 PM
from the video, it look some of the guys got clocked with some hard blows. i'm sure we'll see lots of KOs when the show airs. i'm sure many of us have done sparring against multiple opponents in a simulated way. now we can see guys apply strategy and full power with non complying opponents.

Dent
12-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Osu!

I've been on the receiving end of multiple attackers, and I think this is a really bad idea. The biggest danger coming from hits you don't see coming. I know they're dangerous, and I know they can be potentially fatal.

I can't see any reason to support this that wasn't used to justify the Roman games... :cool:

Osu!

Godai
12-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Osu!

I've been on the receiving end of multiple attackers, and I think this is a really bad idea. The biggest danger coming from hits you don't see coming. I know they're dangerous, and I know they can be potentially fatal.

I can't see any reason to support this that wasn't used to justify the Roman games... :cool:

Osu!

Definitely good points Dent. But then again...I'm one who wishes MMA would go back to how it was at it's start. No gloves, no rules, anything goes.
As long as it's voluntary and no one is being forced to fight against their will then I'm all for it. Actually I'm even for competing myself!!! I'm just into fighting and it is reason #1 I got into martial arts in the first place. Beyond something just being silly, I'm into seeing good fighting. "But" with that said, it has to be something where a strategy can be set and skill is involved. Two guys wielding axes or baseball bats or humans facing lions would not be interesting. I'm into "the fight."

Osu-EN1

SHIDOKANATLANTA
12-08-2009, 03:48 PM
you can see vale tudo anything goes. look up rio heroes.

yoshukai
12-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Well, it was interesting to watch. I honestly don't know what to think about this. I can however see where this type of competition is going. Next they will have 25 guys like WWE Royal Rumble style.