UFC 111: St-Pierre vs Hardy [Archive] - Kyokushin4life

View Full Version : UFC 111: St-Pierre vs Hardy

epking1
03-26-2010, 12:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIlS67ZxRtw&feature=player_embedded

Now really i should be behind the British fighter, and Dan Hardy is good but some how i dont see him winning and this fight going very far...

????

sandman
03-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Osu!

I agree with your assessment epking - there's always the chance for an upset, but I don't see anyone in GSP's weight class anywhere near his level.

Hangtime
03-26-2010, 12:48 PM
I agree as well. I don't think Hardy is putting in the work the GSP is...I don't think ANYONE is putting in the work GSP is. GSP took on a bigger, stronger fighter in Alves and didn't skip a beat (even with a pulled groin muscle!).

...speaking of, how cool is Greg Jackson; GSP says "I think I pulled something...when he pushed down my leg" and Jackson blows GSP off as if Alves only stole his juice box...classic!

Dent
03-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Osu!

Hardy has rangy punches, and a strong clinch/ knee history. GSP is just an amazing athlete, covering multiple ranges. Could Hardy catch him? Sure. Maybe even with that rubber guard of his. Is it likely?

Nope.

Osu!

knuckleheader
03-26-2010, 02:24 PM
I think Hardy is getting a title shot too soon. Probably, couldn't find good comp for GSP. Don't think Hardy using Matt Serra for training, equals upset that Serra was lucky with. I'll be waiting for the freebie.

Dent
03-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Osu!

But who is there to challenge GSP with? He's on contract, and those fights need to take place within a certain period of time. (Thanks to Randy Couture.)

Osu!

Hangtime
03-26-2010, 02:32 PM
But who is there to challenge GSP with?

Anderson Silva :p

I'm half joking; I'd like to see GSP move up and dominate, but Silva is a good bit bigger than him.

...perhaps GSP should move down a division?

knuckleheader
03-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Osu!

But who is there to challenge GSP with? He's on contract, and those fights need to take place within a certain period of time. (Thanks to Randy Couture.)

Osu!

Agreed, the promoters have to have a show. A good fight is fine with me.
My girlfriend wanted to go to Newark, N. J. which is close enough for us. But the cheep seats ain't cheep...:D

Dent
03-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Osu!

GSP walks around a fair bit above 170, and I don't think he could cut all the way down to 155. And there's still the "Why?" of it. He's beaten Penn convincingly. And Penn is caning that division.

Fighting Silva would be a bad idea. I think his toolbox is top flight as well. No, the Light-heavy and heavy divisions are were there is the most room for a new face. :)

Osu!

Hangtime
03-26-2010, 02:44 PM
But the jump to light-heavy is a big jump for a guy that goes ~185...

...and that *still* doesn't get him out of Silva's crosshairs...

AmericanWerewolf
03-26-2010, 02:52 PM
something should probably be done about folks cutting a ton of weight down to compete in weight classes where they have a big advantage is size and strength when they re inflate for the fight.

I give Hardy at least a 25% chance because you never know but GSP just looks ...too good and I never bet against the Karateka.

As for him changing weight class , I guess 185 could be a possibility but in all honesty , why not just sit on top and keep taking guys out and getting paid well to do so. no ones that long for the fight game and when your a genius at one weight you may be a can at another.

Hangtime
03-26-2010, 02:56 PM
why not just sit on top and keep taking guys out

...for the love of the game and, what I like to call "The Michael Jordan Arms Race" (or "The Evolution of Kobe" or "The Rising of Lebron"); someone will come along younger, stronger, faster, thirstier and/or hungier that you...you will eventually unceremoniously OUSTED from your perch at some point, so make the best of it while you can.

Dent
03-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Osu!

But the jump to light-heavy is a big jump for a guy that goes ~185...

...and that *still* doesn't get him out of Silva's crosshairs...

Sorry, Hangtime, I wasn't clear about that. No, I'm not talking about GSP as the new face at 205. Silva could steam-clean that division too. :D

As an aside, does anyone care about Mir vs Carwin? Does anyone think that either have a shot against a fit Lesnar?

Osu!

sandman
03-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Osu!

I have to agree about GSP - normally when someone is clearly dominating their weight class, moving up to the next class is a good idea. Except when that means you've got face Silva - that would be an extraordinarily bad idea!

And Dent - regarding Mir and Carwin? Couldn't care less about either of them. I wish somebody would come along and beat the snot out of Brock Lesnar, and then beat the crap out of those two just for the heck of it... :D

Dent
03-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Osu!

And Dent - regarding Mir and Carwin? Couldn't care less about either of them. I wish somebody would come along and beat the snot out of Brock Lesnar, and then beat the crap out of those two just for the heck of it... :D

On the same night! :D

Osu!

sandman
03-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Osu!

On the same night! :D

Osu!

Exactly what I meant! :D

Hangtime
03-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Silva could steam-clean that division too.

Agreed. I would like to see Silva vs Henderson II...

As an aside, does anyone care about Mir vs Carwin? Does anyone think that either have a shot against a fit Lesnar?
Kinda and Nope

And Dent - regarding Mir and Carwin? Couldn't care less about either of them. I wish somebody would come along and beat the snot out of Brock Lesnar, and then beat the crap out of those two just for the heck of it...

On the same night! Osu!

Cain Valezquez??? And if not Valezquez, We'll be calling Brock "GSP the Second", because he's just going to sit at the top and dominate. He can't move down, he's too big...

epking1
03-26-2010, 05:30 PM
OMG, i cant even "jump in the bath" this good. This how to evade a Dan Hardy low kick.

If he loses i hear he is trying for the Canadian Olympic high jump and hurdels team...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3xkoAXKu2E&feature=related

sandman
03-26-2010, 05:34 PM
OMG, i cant even "jump in the bath" this good. This how to evade a Dan Hardy low kick.

If he loses i hear he is trying for the Canadian Olympic high jump and hurdels team...

LOL! That's funny epking :D

On a serious note though, imagine the explosive power it takes to jump like that - I have to imagine that translates easily into explosive fighting technique. GSP is a bad dude...

Bardock
03-26-2010, 09:39 PM
I remember we did jumps like those back when I was a biathlete..
Harsh thingies... (though I focused very little on the fact that it was training, and more on the fact that if I messed up, I'd go teeth first into the ground)

Ryan M Villarosa
03-27-2010, 08:41 AM
LOL! That's funny epking :D

On a serious note though, imagine the explosive power it takes to jump like that - I have to imagine that translates easily into explosive fighting technique. GSP is a bad dude...

With those kinds of legs, and explosive power. I could just imagine that his gadan mawashi geri must really hurt...

Osu!

powerof0ne
03-27-2010, 08:46 AM
something should probably be done about folks cutting a ton of weight down to compete in weight classes where they have a big advantage is size and strength when they re inflate for the fight.

I wouldn't hold my breath about cutting weight. Cutting weight is part of the "fight game", has been around for a very long time and will be around for a very long time.

I'm with most of you on this, if I was a betting man, I'd bet on GSP but Hardy does have some power in his punches. I've seen more then a few fighters that were winning, or should have won and made a stupid mistake (Andre vs. Fedor comes to mind).

I think GSP knows that it wouldn't be in his best interest to fight Anderson Silva. I think Silva already won that mental fight with GSP, too.
Osu!

Ryan M Villarosa
03-28-2010, 06:06 AM
Yay! GSP won!

I didn't expect Shane Carwin to finish the fight at once. So much for Frank Mir. Too Bad.

sdfighter
03-28-2010, 06:58 AM
I was really disappointed that it went to decision and that he didn't finish it in the first round. After GSP took Hardy's back during the first round I kept on thinking, "finish him already, I got to watch the Morales fight.":(

powerof0ne
03-28-2010, 08:13 PM
I only saw what I thought was one bad decision but it was a close fight. Other then that Carwin looked good and it will be interesting to see him fight Lesnar.

Hardy has "double jointed" shoulders or something, was very strange. I wish GSP would have struck with Hardy more then playing the takedown (takedowns at will) grappling game. Very easy to see win for GSP and I know he was sticking to his game plan that his camp made so everyone's a critic, myself included.
Osu-EN1

bobh
03-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Glad to hear the Gentleman of MMA has won.

Ryan M Villarosa
03-29-2010, 02:05 AM
Yeah, but I wish GSP starts mixing up his game plan. His takedown-at-will is good, but I miss a lot of his striking, especially his superman punch set-ups.

But it's still good, at least the Gentleman of MMA won.

P.S. what is double-jointed?

Osu!

bobh
03-29-2010, 02:10 AM
I call him a gentleman. not that there aren't others or that his opponent wasn't -- i didn't mean that. "double-jointed" is an expression that means very flexible in the joints

Ryan M Villarosa
03-29-2010, 02:55 AM
"double-jointed" is an expression that means very flexible in the joints

Oh! So that's what it means. Sorry, I really didn't know that. It was amazing how Dan Hardy managed to endure that kimura arm lock and the armbar.

Osu!

jcbel
03-29-2010, 02:56 PM

That is an incredible vertical jump! :eek: