06-20-2010, 11:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlQw9fJ9CKk&

Ryan M Villarosa
06-21-2010, 01:13 AM
Osu.

Is this a good idea?

Thunar
06-21-2010, 01:19 AM
I never took Steven Seagal too seriously (I don`t like his movies), but you know what? After seeing this I definetely have more respecto for the guy now. He got some good moves! Tks for sharing this video sdfighter.

powerof0ne
06-21-2010, 02:16 AM
As a kid I liked Seagal so much I wasted a few years on aikido and aikijujitsu while doing karate. I say wasted because the dojo I was in was way too compliant and many of my senpai and sensei would avoid doing randori with me at the 'old' age of 15. I always knew Seagal had some effectiveness but this still seems strange to me.

I have a feeling there is more behind this training then meets the eye. Possibly Silva or one of his management have some business dealing with Seagal and this is some type of scratching of Seagal's back for whatever reason.

Be nice to see if Silva using any of these techniques. I actually like to 'ten kan' whenever given the opportunity, myself.
Osu!

Last_Empire
06-21-2010, 08:57 AM
Ok I just watched anderson silva on youtube, how come he looks like such a noob when segal is there, but when he is fighting in the cage he looks amazing and effortless?

Nix
06-21-2010, 09:20 AM
Wow, that was random.

"So, wanna come to dinner? No, you should call me 'Sensei'."

GimpTron
06-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Speaking of Seagal, I heard he originally started out in karate. I wonder what made him stop. And Anderson Silva should have also went to a knockdown karate gym to. ;-)

powerof0ne
06-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Seagal started under Demura in shito ryu from my understanding...he eventually did become a yudansha under Demura, too. Chuck Norris is also a yudansha in shito ryu under Demura.

I think Anderson Silva made the right choice since there is some serious money in what he does. Unfortunately that type of money isn't in knockdown karate unless said karateka also trains in something else and competes in MMA, etc.

Still a very strange video to me.
Osu!

GimpTron
06-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Not to take anything away from MMA but it's a shame when MMA fighters make more than kickboxers, which has alot of karatekas participating. This statistic was mention by someone I know.

Dent
06-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Osu!

The money is where the spectators are. The UFC, for example, is not in the business of providing opportunities to fighters. They are in the business of delivering potential customers to advertisers. MMA has found a way to do this that far exceeds the US Kickboxing method.

Osu!

powerof0ne
06-21-2010, 05:51 PM
I don't like the show, but 'The Ultimate Fighter' was a brilliant promoting and marketing move made by Zuffa/Dana White/UFC. "Coincidentally" since that show started the UFC just keeps getting bigger and bigger. I also hear the new UFC video game is amazing by my brother and others I know. Again, another brilliant move... no knockdown karate reality tv show I know exists and no recent knockdown karate video game exists, neither. MMA is realistic to an extent but it's also limited in what's allowed and for good reason but it's also entertainment.

Kickboxing and muay thai events started losing interest in the late 90s to 2003 when MMA started gaining the interest. Now many of the best Thaiboxers and kickboxers are fighting in MMA and you can't fault them..it's where the money is after all.

If you want to make money my advice would be to focus on a safe and secure career..not martial arts as a career. However, I had to learn this advice the hard way a bit myself. Karate is for life, not for immediate monetary gain.

Mean no disrespect to those of you that are full time instructors and making this work. Just saying it's a very hard road for those that want to pay their bills by fighting and teaching.
Osu-EN1

Dent
06-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Osu!

Just saying it's a very hard road for those that want to pay their bills by fighting and teaching.
Osu-EN1

Repped and quoted for truth!

Not many instructors would wish the same life on their kids. Not when careers in politics and questionable financial schemes can net so much more. Of course, you'd have to help them overcome those pesky morals and ethics, but................... :rolleyes:

Osu!

FredInChina
06-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Osu!

Repped and quoted for truth!

Not many instructors would wish the same life on their kids. Not when careers in politics and questionable financial schemes can net so much more. Of course, you'd have to help them overcome those pesky morals and ethics, but................... :rolleyes:

Osu!
Hummm, maybe money is not a good metric then?
When all is said and done, you only have to be who you are. :)

osu!

Dent
06-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Osu!

Money is the inconvenient truth. We've built one heck of a system on it, complex in its application, yet simple in its failure. :cool:

Osu!

jcbel
06-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Nico has put on some weight since he was Above the Law. :)

tmd
06-21-2010, 09:32 PM
super interesting vid. some interesting stuff from a guy I always thought of as full of BS, why with such apparent talent comes such attitude...then talk of humility??? - be real you wouldn't know humble if it bit your ass... showing a guy I greatly respect 'a trick or two' but like others am left wondering why Silvia looks so out of it, like it's all new? Maybe he just saw stars... or dollars not sure.

Bardock
06-21-2010, 09:40 PM
Or just that.. That he's got humility.. and just found this genuinely amusing.

sdfighter
06-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Not to take anything away from MMA but it's a shame when MMA fighters make more than kickboxers, which has alot of karatekas participating. This statistic was mention by someone I know.

Only the top mma fighters make a lot of money most get paid like crap. Even in the UFC some of the fighters only get paid a few thousands of dollars per fight and the UFC requires sponsors to pay outrageous fees to them in order for fighters to wear their clothing or logos to the cage.

harukaze
06-22-2010, 12:34 AM
I wonder if Anderson was just playing along.
We all know that he likes to fool around sometimes, after all :D

whatever123
06-22-2010, 04:32 AM
As a kid I liked Seagal so much I wasted a few years on aikido and aikijujitsu while doing karate. I say wasted because the dojo I was in was way too compliant and many of my senpai and sensei would avoid doing randori with me at the 'old' age of 15. I always knew Seagal had some effectiveness but this still seems strange to me.

I have a feeling there is more behind this training then meets the eye. Possibly Silva or one of his management have some business dealing with Seagal and this is some type of scratching of Seagal's back for whatever reason.

Be nice to see if Silva using any of these techniques. I actually like to 'ten kan' whenever given the opportunity, myself.
Osu!

Agreed especially the bolded part

Whenever I think of Seagal as a martial artist I remember the story with Gene Lebell :rolleyes:

sandman
06-22-2010, 11:39 AM
I have to admit that I haven't watched the video and I don't intend to - I can't stand watching this guy.

FredInChina
06-22-2010, 11:42 AM
I have to admit that I haven't watched the video and I don't intend to - I can't stand watching this guy.
It's actually a pretty interesting video Sandman. :)
You might reconsider...

Osu!

sandman
06-22-2010, 11:44 AM
NEVER!!!!!

okay....maybe later :o

:D

FredInChina
06-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Lol :d

GimpTron
06-22-2010, 01:27 PM
What turned me off to Seagal was that he made himself "invincible" in all of his movies. At least Van Damme would beat some ass, then take an asswhipping, and then come back on you. I think Seagal got touched 3 times out of all his movies. LOL!!!!

FredInChina
06-22-2010, 01:48 PM
What turned me off to Seagal was that he made himself "invincible" in all of his movies. At least Van Damme would beat some ass, then take an asswhipping, and then come back on you. I think Seagal got touched 3 times out of all his movies. LOL!!!!
Hey, THAT is Aikido!
:D

Osu!

WYKKO
06-22-2010, 02:20 PM
To the video... Meh.

There's never been any doubt in my mind that Segal has martial knowledge. My biggest problem with him is his attitude. There are many knowledgeable people in the world, but respect is earned through how one acts. He is not an individual who is worthy of respect.

GJEC
06-22-2010, 02:40 PM
He is not an individual who is worthy of respect.

He's famous though! Funny how this overlaps another thread.

The individuals I respect the most are the ones who don't seek fame, they just quietly live their lives helping others.

Gary

jcbel
06-22-2010, 05:22 PM
At least Van Damme would beat some ass, then take an asswhipping, and then come back on you.

Also known as the hero's journey:

http://www.applewarrior.com/lps/writing/hero/myth_quest_model.gif

FredInChina
06-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks JCBel, I've been looking for this for awhile now. :)
Could you by chance share the source?
Osu.

jcbel
06-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Found the diagram using a Google search:

http://www.applewarrior.com/lps/writing/nonfiction.php

http://www.applewarrior.com/lps/writing/hero/heroquest_stages.php

The original theory was formulated by Joseph Campbell in this book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hero_with_a_Thousand_Faces

FredInChina
06-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks JCBel, I knew what I was looking for, just didn't know how it was called & I didn't seem to figure the correct keywords for it. :)
Osu!

jcbel
06-22-2010, 05:47 PM
The only reason I know the term "hero's journey" is because I had a writing class in college. :)

Last_Empire
06-23-2010, 03:31 AM
Actually, I think segal reminds me alot of the attitude of the ninja guys that head off to noda train at bujinkan honbu, but have so much attitude, yet become upset at other people who dont show respect etc

I really think that segal should not have acted that way the more I think about it, and for a guy who apparantly lived and taught in japan, did you notice how he seemed to get slightly frustrated when he had to ask what the word for faster was when he was demonstrating something? I would assume he would have more patience for a language difference

I really can not understand why he would have reached such a high level in japan with this attitude, or did this attitude come once he made movies with big gay shirts he wore

jcc
06-23-2010, 07:40 AM
Osu!

I wouldn´t want to speculate on the competence of Steven Seagal, but at the beginning of the video he is trying to show a technique to the south-paw Silva, with his left leg leading - and just confusing the guy. Not very perceptive really...

Osu!

sandman
06-23-2010, 11:49 AM
I really can not understand why he would have reached such a high level in japan with this attitude, or did this attitude come once he made movies with big gay shirts he wore

LOL! I guess one would have to develop an attitude after wearing all those big gay shirts :D Maybe I was too hard on him... (naw....:cool: ) :D

GimpTron
06-23-2010, 12:22 PM
I still remember on the tv show Martin, Martin Lawrence cracked a joke on Seagal about him fighting with a gut. LMAO!!!!!

medguy
06-23-2010, 02:42 PM
It ended with "Marked for Death." Then it was all downhill from there...

jcbel
06-25-2010, 04:17 PM
My favourite Steven Seagal scene was in the Kurt Russell movie "Executive Decision" where he had to kill himself. :)

http://www.greatestmoviedeaths.com/2007/07/executive-decision-steven-seagal-dies.html

Bardock
06-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Aww.. Go a tad easy on him, eh?
At least he do, sometimes, show signs of humor on his own behalf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VYLCP0JeIU

jcbel
06-25-2010, 09:57 PM
That was pretty good Bardock! :D

sandman
06-26-2010, 01:16 AM
I'll grant you its a good commercial, but it would have been better with Chevy Chase. Seagal is still a d-bag (note: the "d" does not stand for dirt...)

Osu!

Bardock
06-26-2010, 04:36 AM
Well..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vjuLxyo-p4
This one is still the best of them

jcbel
06-26-2010, 04:38 AM
Shower, sandman? ;)

jcarmello
06-26-2010, 04:47 AM
I'll grant you its a good commercial, but it would have been better with Chevy Chase. Seagal is still a d-bag (note: the "d" does not stand for dirt...)

Osu!

Duffle????

FredInChina
06-26-2010, 04:54 AM
Dscum???

Bardock
06-26-2010, 05:18 AM
http://www.formaggiokitchen.com/shop/images/alziari%20gel%20douche.jpg
^_^

harukaze
06-26-2010, 06:13 AM
^_^

LOL, *right click, save as*

sandman
06-28-2010, 01:10 AM
^_^

Ding ding ding! We have a winner folks! :D :D

Hangtime
07-01-2010, 07:38 PM
ROTFLMAO Bardock!

sdfighter
02-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Apparently it training with Seagal wasn't time wasted
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Steven-Seagal-helped-Anderson-Silva-with-KO-fron?urn=mma-317407