Rhadi Ferguson Is The Sport Of Mixed Martial Arts Barbaric [Archive] - Kyokushin4life

View Full Version : Rhadi Ferguson Is The Sport Of Mixed Martial Arts Barbaric

sdfighter
02-03-2011, 09:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1U4KKSXVqQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHL7SBcTHCM&feature=fvw

sdfighter
02-03-2011, 09:34 PM
At least watch the video before commenting on something you don't have an understanding of.

powerof0ne
02-03-2011, 09:43 PM
At least watch the video before commenting on something you don't have an understanding of.
Not trying to start an argument here of "who's right and wrong" but I do have to agree with sdfighter in this case. Rhadi Ferguson is an intelligent and experienced grappling instructor. Even if you don't agree with his opinions it would behoove anyone to actually listen to what he has to say.

His teaching and applications of grip are light years beyond most grappling instructors I've trained under.
Osu!

Havamal
02-03-2011, 10:13 PM

Ooops, please pardon me. :o
Looking forward to seeing it when I've got access to youtube

FredInChina
02-03-2011, 10:15 PM
Ooops, please pardon me. :o (...)
D'OH!

:(:rolleyes:
Osu!

powerof0ne
02-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Double Doohhh!! :rolleyes: :eek:
Do I sense some K4L chemistry between Fred and Havamal? ;) :eek:
Osu!

GJEC
02-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Get a room

:)

FredInChina
02-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Get a room

:)
ROTFMAO! :D
Osu!

Havamal
02-03-2011, 11:48 PM

Hmm. Interesting. Thanks, sdfighter.

http://www.rhadiferguson.com/Coach_Ferguson_Recommends.html

Hockey fighting's barbaric, because the ref's allow fouls in a game purported to be about scoring puck goals.

MMA's fighting is not barbaric, because the game is self fighting, with ref's control, restraint. The only rules "ignored" are cage holding.

MMA's a civillized zenith of honest combat sports, combining Greek Olympic boxing and wresting with Asian "boxing" and "wrestling."

osu.

FredInChina
02-04-2011, 12:53 AM
Rhadi Fergusson is sometimes articulate & often not...
He turns around the pot without precisely defining "barbaric"; his punch line (pun intended) is because the weapons used in MMA are sophisticated & require learning, they are not crude, therefore not barbaric.
His back up & visuals say that other sports like hockey & football are worse.

Barbaric:
- primitive or unsophisticated; unrestrained
- Savagely cruel; exceedingly brutal.

This applies to MMA............ and football, and hockey, and Aussie footy...
Also to soccer supporters (I remember the Heisel disaster!)
etc...

It is time to make our peace with who we really are. :)

Osu!

powerof0ne
02-04-2011, 05:13 AM
I must admits most "sports" bore the crap out of me but "fighting sports" do not one bit. I won't be watching the superbowl this Sunday, I have an accounting exam to study for but I'll be watching Anderson Silva fight Saturday night :cool:.
Osu!

smoothsake
02-04-2011, 07:48 AM
MMA's a civillized zenith of honest combat sports combining Greek Olympic boxing and wresting with Oriental "boxing" and wrestling.

Oriental? You mean like rugs, spice, and Marco Polo?

The correct term is Asian, as in Asia, you know...the continent.

powerof0ne
02-04-2011, 12:59 PM

Maybe it's because I'm up at about 5 am which I usually am not these days but I've heard of "Chinese boxing" (kung fu) but never Asian wrestling? I'm thinking "Jacket wrestling" which is a term I have heard used for reference to jujitsu and judo in some older writings but I have never heard of Asian wrestling before. Someone please educate me on this mix up?
Osu!

FredInChina
02-04-2011, 01:23 PM

It is true that The Orient is more commonly used for the countries located between Turkey & Afghanistan... :)

Osu!

Havamal
02-04-2011, 01:30 PM
A rose is a rose by any other name. Of course, a botanist may prefer more details, so karate experts here may prefer nuances in words. In unarmed fighting there's stand-up (boxing, muay Thai, etc) or grappling (wrestling, jujitsu, etc).

Out of respect for your sensitivities i'll edit to "Asian" when i get to a laptop, my phone can't scroll down enough.

I'd like better to watch BJ Penn, GSP, A. Silva, or Couture play than a football game.

Osu.