Pride office in Tokyo, closed for business! [Archive] - Kyokushin4life

View Full Version : Pride office in Tokyo, closed for business!

vapor
10-04-2007, 04:20 PM
There was an article online, reported by Sports Navi. com in Japan, today, announcing that Dream Stage Entertainment, the parent company of Pride, has shut the Pride office in Tokyo, the organziation disbanded, and all employees were let go.

The official annoucement of firing of the employees was made by the President Jaime Pollack by international call from the USA.

Here is the link in Japanese

PRIDE運営事務所が突如解散 事業所閉鎖、スタッフ全 解雇(スポーツナビ) - Yahoo!ニュース (http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20071004-00000024-spnavi-fight)

vapor

ksan
10-04-2007, 05:18 PM
was this out of nowhere or have there been signs of this. Is it a money problem ?

Osu

Kurisu
10-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Pride was boughtout by UFC so this comes as no big surprise.

vapor
10-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Very typical American approach....call in by phone to fire the entire staff!!
Way to step up to the plate on that aspect!

As Mr. Pollack moved his family to Japan, and then back to Las Vegas all within this year, would go to show that this was an aniticipated action...

vapor

smoothsake
10-04-2007, 11:56 PM
The official annoucement of firing of the employees was made by the President Jaime Pollack by international call from the USA.

There's nothing more charming than getting fired by conference call. (Although, I can't speak from experience.)

seienchin
10-05-2007, 03:42 AM
Actually, fired by text message has to be worse. I haven't had it happen to me, but there have been case reports of it in Australia, after our industrial relations legislation was changed to reduce penalties for unfair dismissal. don't know if they are mythical reports or not, but I can envisage it happening.

Sonik
10-06-2007, 03:55 PM
They never gave a damn about the workers. The former Pride director, Mr. Sakakibara should be ashame of not keeping his word. He promissed Pride would continue and that his wokers would still keep their jobs. But i guess those values are starting to fade away. Well, to be honest i never trusted him and i hope his employees were already prepared for this situation and got a new job already.

It would be great if FEG could pick up these emplyees and make Heros the equivalent to Pride. More events and great MMA fights.

Martin H
10-07-2007, 12:19 AM
very sad, but sadly also expected.
As for the word of Mr. Sakakibara, UFC said they would keep pride in buissness. After the sale went through, it was not up to Mr. Sakakibara to keep the promise, it was up to the ufc owners.

I agree. Hero ought to headhunt those pride employees at once.
If nothing else so for their contacts and networks with former pride fighters.

Sonik
10-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Yeah i know but i bet he knew what was gonna happen next. Even for a fan that seemed more likely.

feels
10-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Blame the Japanese media's witch hunt for yakuza to screw up any reputable business. Watch out K-1, you're next.

vapor
10-15-2007, 09:19 PM
Go to a boxing match in Tokyo!!!

I was at a couple of fights for the Kameda brothers (sponsor seats!!) and half of the ringside seats were occupied by yakuza-types!

Once the fight was over, they all stood up in unison, and waddled out with the typical swagger you expect!

vapor

smoothsake
10-16-2007, 12:44 AM
Well Pride is out, but War Victory Road is in. I hear Yoshida and J-ROCK are already signed up as well as all the others that have yet to be converted to UFC post-Pride fallout.

New Japanese MMA Event, Association Introduced (http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=9501)

kakatootoshi
10-16-2007, 01:09 AM
Dear vapor,
Will you be happy to hear that Daiki's fighter's license is now suspened for one year, the father's coach's license has been revoked and Koki has been given a warning?

OSU!

vapor
10-16-2007, 01:48 AM
Dear vapor,
Will you be happy to hear that Daiki's fighter's license is now suspened for one year, the father's coach's license has been revoked and Koki has been given a warning?

OSU!

I saw that on the news today also! Plus, they have lost some of their sponsorships, including the one that the agency that I worked for set up for them (kyoraku)

vapor

Kyokushin_Practioner
04-14-2008, 12:31 PM
since UFC bought PRIDE,why haven't i seen most of the PRIDE fighters in the UFC yet? that's what i've always wondered.i always liked PRIDE better than UFC.did some of the fighters not want to make the switch? did maybe some of the fighters join other fight organizations?

sokaiya
04-14-2008, 01:36 PM
since UFC bought PRIDE,why haven't i seen most of the PRIDE fighters in the UFC yet? that's what i've always wondered.i always liked PRIDE better than UFC.did some of the fighters not want to make the switch? did maybe some of the fighters join other fight organizations?

Dana bought all the rights, trademarks, footage and brand value that PRIDE:FC had. Some Fighters Dana wasn't interested in and others held out for better deals (Fedor) and others are probably banned (Barnett).

Martin H
04-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Dana & the Fertitas brothers neglected to read the fine print. It turned out that most of the pride fighters had contracts that was not transferable in the pride deal.
Basically what Dana & the Fertitas ended up with was partial ownership of the video archive (which was mostly owned by a japanese TV company) and the brand name and logos (all of which were abandoned when the pride production company was disbanded).

Most of the pride staff, and a lot of the old pride fighters, joined the "K-1 Dream" production a couple of months ago.

vapor
04-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Which always goes to show you that you need to read everything---or hire the right lawyers to do so...!!

vapor

Kyokushin_Practioner
04-15-2008, 12:02 PM
yes,Fedor is the cashcow.:D he is very marketable i haven't heard of the Fedor UFC deal in a long time i wonder what happened? and what happened to Gomi?

Mikemok1981
04-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Gomi is going to DREAM I believe. And fedor is without a home currently. I believe he is scheduled to fight Tim Sylvia in the new fight org that Affliction just started. Fedor and the UFC just cant come to terms as far as a contract goes.

Kyokushin_Practioner
04-16-2008, 03:20 AM
Gomi is going to DREAM I believe. And fedor is without a home currently. I believe he is scheduled to fight Tim Sylvia in the new fight org that Affliction just started. Fedor and the UFC just cant come to terms as far as a contract goes.

i did hear that Fedor couldn't come to a contract agreement,so most PRIDE fighters are with DREAM now..thanks alot for the info!:D

Martin H
04-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Basically pride scored big. They sold nothing but a brand name that was tainted in japan by Yakuza connections, having lost all tv deals and going into red fast.
Now one year later, they have reformed as a part of k-1 dream in charge of producing the events (where FEG is in charge of the TV broadcast side). Most of the old pride fighters (especially the japanese fighters which are most important in japan) has or are in the process of joining Dream.
UFC bought a name associated to organized crime (guess how well that goes down with the nevada gaming commission), and a handfull of fighter contracts -most which are on the way to expire by now. Then UFC closed the pride company in japan (earning them a lot of bad publicity, since they had promisde to keep it alive and develope it as part of the deal) and abandoned the pride brand.
The Pride video archive was mostly owned by Fuji TV, and UFC got royaly scr*wed in the deal.
At the moment UFC is in the process of suing the former pride, for reforming and continuing in the same line of buissness. but I have trouble seeing how they would win that case.

Mikemok1981
04-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Basically pride scored big. They sold nothing but a brand name that was tainted in japan by Yakuza connections, having lost all tv deals and going into red fast.
Now one year later, they have reformed as a part of k-1 dream in charge of producing the events (where FEG is in charge of the TV broadcast side). Most of the old pride fighters (especially the japanese fighters which are most important in japan) has or are in the process of joining Dream.
UFC bought a name associated to organized crime (guess how well that goes down with the nevada gaming commission), and a handfull of fighter contracts -most which are on the way to expire by now. Then UFC closed the pride company in japan (earning them a lot of bad publicity, since they had promisde to keep it alive and develope it as part of the deal) and abandoned the pride brand.
The Pride video archive was mostly owned by Fuji TV, and UFC got royaly scr*wed in the deal.
At the moment UFC is in the process of suing the former pride, for reforming and continuing in the same line of buissness. but I have trouble seeing how they would win that case.

Man you are more knowledgeable than 3/4 of the guys on Sherdogs forums, and those cats live for MMA. Im very impressed

seienchin
04-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Man you are more knowledgeable than 3/4 of the guys on Sherdogs forums, and those cats live for MMA. Im very impressed

he is, after all, the "Super-Moderator". What we can't see from his icon or his silhouette is whether his undies are on the outside of his gi pants!!!

Kyokushin_Practioner
04-16-2008, 12:58 PM
is K-1 DREAM going to come on in America or is it Japan only?

Mikemok1981
04-16-2008, 01:50 PM
For right now its just Japan. K-1 Heroes did a show in California a year or so ago and it bombed. I think they'll be waiting a while before ever coming to the US again.

Dent
04-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Osu!

I think Martin H has a totally different perspective (International) on it. UFC tried to conduct business American style, not taking into account that there are factors outside of finance that are far more important to making something a success. Instead of questioning the ease of the sale, they saw an opportunity to control a rival, not realizing that people take their skills with them when they walk. And walk they did.

Osu!

Mikemok1981
04-16-2008, 02:12 PM
Osu!

I think Martin H has a totally different perspective (International) on it. UFC tried to conduct business American style, not taking into account that there are factors outside of finance that are far more important to making something a success. Instead of questioning the ease of the sale, they saw an opportunity to control a rival, not realizing that people take their skills with them when they walk. And walk they did.

Osu!

I completely agree. I thought the buyout was foolish after it happened. They didnt buy hardly any contracts, they hardly got any of the video library. All they really got the rights to was the logo. Most of their names and talent either refuse to fight for the UFC or the UFC has banned them. Its always nice though to have a very informed and rational person to discuss MMA with, especially one with such a broad view of the sport.

Kyokushin_Practioner
04-16-2008, 02:36 PM
For right now its just Japan. K-1 Heroes did a show in California a year or so ago and it bombed. I think they'll be waiting a while before ever coming to the US again.

i remember watching K-1 a loooong time ago.:D thanks for the information though again.:D i also love MMA too.

vapor
04-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Martin- Great post! Lets see if I have some rep for you!!

vapor