UFC 98 Lyoto Machida vs. Rashad Evans [Archive] - Kyokushin4life

View Full Version : UFC 98 Lyoto Machida vs. Rashad Evans

smoothsake
05-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Machida says it best, "Karate is back!"

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Lyoto_Machida_vs_Rashad_Evans_UFC_98?vid=10005048&tid=100

shidokanatlanta
05-24-2009, 12:37 PM
awesome fight.

meguro
05-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Did the fight seem mismatched? I don't think Machida even worked up a sweat.

Dent
05-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Osu!

Wow.

Wow.

No doubt about the result at all!

Osu!

jcarmello
05-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Did the fight seem mismatched? I don't think Machida even worked up a sweat.

Couldnt tell much from the first round, but thats how it looked in the second round.

shidokanatlanta
05-24-2009, 01:53 PM
it was a mis match in that lyoto's striking skills are superior to evan's. rashad is a good wrestler who learned the striking aspect a few years ago. machida has been doing it his whole life. outside of landing a lucky shot, machida is going to dominate that range of fighting. like joe rogan said in his commentary, the level of striking of a world class karate fighter (like machida) or a k-1 fighter is superior. the guy who competes on a high level in striking who adds the other elements of mma to his game will have the striking advantage over the grappler who adds striking to his game. machida has takedown defense (as well as take downs of his own) and a good ground game. unless a fighter can match his stand up ability, he will be hard to beat.

whatever123
05-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Good fight

I can kind of see the application of shotokan if trained in an alive manner in MMA

smoothsake
05-24-2009, 04:08 PM
There were some aspects of Machida's striking that were very apparent shotokan. For one, he kicks then follows up with a punch right away but his weight looks like he is going backwards. You see this in point fighting slo-mo. He caught Evans with it and floored him. It doesn't look like a lot of power but apparently there was enough, or maybe it was the surprise aspect. Also his narrow stance and gedan mawashi geri from the front foot is unusual, but man you got to love the way he whips his jodan from his back!

I'm jumping on the Machida bandwagon - and officially a fan!

I love his passion for karate too. I think he might be a better ambassador for karate in the UFC then GSP.

GJEC
05-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Bananarama song comes to mind here:

It ain't what you do it's the way that you do it
And that's what gets results

ally
05-24-2009, 05:41 PM
That fight was beautiful

kyofighter
05-24-2009, 05:43 PM
I was a Machida fan since I saw him first time, I think two years ago. A nice and quiet guy, who really believes in his skills and does not listen to all the crap that people say about him not being an exciting fighter. He really looked to me like a true budoka who will try to win in a smart way with minimal damage and man, I can't think of anyone in the whole MMA scene who does it better then him right now.
Now we need GSP to win and say something like - Karate is back and it's here to stay ! Osu !

jlee24
05-24-2009, 05:45 PM
the best display of quality over quantity i've ever seen in a fight. he threw what looked like 9 techniques and most if not all landed clean and accurately. i can't say enough how impressed i am with this win!

OmarB
05-24-2009, 06:50 PM
I didnt see the fight but followed the events online ... I guess I'll see highlights on Sportscenter or online somewhere.

I'm a huge fan of Machida and he's done a lot for karate as oppesed to those guys who think that MMA is about MT/BJJ. My only concern is if this becomes a fashionabel thing and then you'll have a bunch of mcdojos popping up everywhere giving substandard instruction. It's hard enough to find a good Sensei as it is.

olyckan
05-24-2009, 07:15 PM
Side note. He used to have style "shotokan" as mark at his presentation now its Machida Karate... Always the "business" side of it.. However you cant deny his shotokan and traditional karate base.. I think its awesome just to see how he does it. Ive been using him and (Semmy Schilt)as a example on other forums and also on this forum as soon as people ask if you can take karate and go far in K1 or MMA.. yes you can, just apply your traning to it.. the strikes are there, the kicks are their just focus your sparring and training towards what you are going to compete in.. karate is back! =)

Tettsui
05-27-2009, 11:20 PM
I'm mad at Machida for beating Evans so quickly. I was in Vegas over the weekend and I had a $100 saying he'd win by decision. The thing that makes me even more angry is that I second guessed myself. My first instinct was to bet $50 each on the win for the 2nd and 3rd round!!!

Damn you Machida!

DrPhil
05-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Side note. He used to have style "shotokan" as mark at his presentation now its Machida Karate... Always the "business" side of it.. However you cant deny his shotokan and traditional karate base..

Interesting. However, his shotokan base required a substantial adaptation to work in that kind of setting. It seems very few people in the shotokan world have taken a similar path, I wonder why.

Actually, now that I think about it, in the 70s, shotokan practicioners that wanted more contact and continuous sparring moved toward "kickboxing", which didn't look so much like JKA point-fighting anymore.

On the other hand, Machida's style seems closer to point-fighting. I guess the reason is that this style of fighting works well in an MMA setting, as opposed to a context where grappling isn't permitted.

meguro
05-28-2009, 05:11 PM
My only concern is if this becomes a fashionabel thing and then you'll have a bunch of mcdojos popping up everywhere giving substandard instruction.

As opposed to the bunch of mcdojos already giving substandard instruction?:eek::)

smoothsake
05-28-2009, 06:37 PM
Found this on a judo forum from a guy who found it on Sherdog, so here it is. Hilarious.

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww28/strickland403/Rashad%20evans/machidavsrashadgoodfellasstyle.gif

shinobijesus
05-28-2009, 06:55 PM
seen it a dozen times now. what movie is that from?

smoothsake
05-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Goodfellas.

sandman
06-06-2009, 01:31 AM
Just watched the fight - nice! Got off to a slow start, but that Machida looked fantastic - very sharp. I'm definitely a fan

powerof0ne
06-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Interesting. However, his shotokan base required a substantial adaptation to work in that kind of setting. It seems very few people in the shotokan world have taken a similar path, I wonder why.

Actually, now that I think about it, in the 70s, shotokan practicioners that wanted more contact and continuous sparring moved toward "kickboxing", which didn't look so much like JKA point-fighting anymore.

On the other hand, Machida's style seems closer to point-fighting. I guess the reason is that this style of fighting works well in an MMA setting, as opposed to a context where grappling isn't permitted.

Machida is the exception..his father is literally the JKA rep from Japan to Brasil. He grew up in shotokan and has done martial arts his whole life. Join other JKA or "classical" karate organizations and some literally have you sign contracts saying you will not cross train, compete in competition not sanctioned by them, etc. It happened to me when I was part of a well known association where I had to pay out of pocket even though the sensei of that dojo knew I did muay thai and was sharpening up on my karate to get ready for Sabaki. Long story short, I had to pay out of a contract that I hardly used so it wouldn't go on my credit report.
Most JKA yudansha and similar karate styles/orgs I know that get into MMA/muay thai/etc. end up leaving and really don't have a choice if they want to go into more "full contact" competition.
I honestly don't think it would benefit anybody to cross train in JKA or any WKF karate styles to prepare for MMA that is already doing boxing, muay thai, jiu jitsu, judo, wrestling, etc. I know I wouldn't reccomend to anyone go train in shotokan, goju, shito, wado, etc if they were preparing for a MMA bout. Does this mean any less of those styles? no, it doesn't but for MMA competition you need to train as you fight and do sport specific conditioning/training.
Just my .02 cents.
Osu

shidokanatlanta
06-06-2009, 05:50 PM
machida is a cross trained mma fighter with a stand up background of shotokan. he has yet to fight a fighter with a challenging stand up game). the same reason anderson silva wins). the other competitors train in boxing, thai boxing, etc. all that is good, but they don't have a base of stand up. rashad evans is a very good wrestler. he's been training in striking for a few years, compared to machida's lifetime. so, machida is a black belt in striking and evans is a yellow belt in striking. what we see is a good striker who knows the other facets of mma. it's not not as easy the other way around (good grappler becoming a good enough striker to strike with a good stand up fighter who has a good grappling level).

powerof0ne
06-06-2009, 05:57 PM
machida is a cross trained mma fighter with a stand up background of shotokan. he has yet to fight a fighter with a challenging stand up game). the same reason anderson silva wins). the other competitors train in boxing, thai boxing, etc. all that is good, but they don't have a base of stand up. rashad evans is a very good wrestler. he's been training in striking for a few years, compared to machida's lifetime. so, machida is a black belt in striking and evans is a yellow belt in striking. what we see is a good striker who knows the other facets of mma. it's not not as easy the other way around (good grappler becoming a good enough striker to strike with a good stand up fighter who has a good grappling level).

I have to agree and have always thought this is where a lot of MMA fighters lack is striking but it's slowly getting better and better. Maurice Smith was the pioneer of a solid striker in MMA, IMO.

Dent
06-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Osu!

Maurice Smith was the pioneer of a solid striker in MMA, IMO.

More so than Bas Rutten?

Osu!

shidokanatlanta
06-09-2009, 01:16 PM
i'd say maurice was a better striker than bas because, he was a kickboxing and thai boxing world champ. he is also the only american to make past the 1st fight in k-1 japan (the rest always lose in the first fight). bas won a lot a of his bouts via submission. maurice wasn't a grappler at all really (pretty much all striker). he had some submission defense and wore guys down and then kicked them in the head.