iconAll times are GMT. The time now is 10:57 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Kyokushin4life Blogs A journey of a thousand...

Everybody knows the saying about that first step... this blog is to document the travel.
I practice kyokushin again after 20 years; I was once 3rd kyu & opted to start at white belt.
The first milestone is to re-earn my rank, then, of course to attain shodan. Let's see where this will take us in the end.
Expect much frustration hand in hand with a study in humility as the inner battles have but a clear outcome...
I entered the dojo in June of 2009 on crutches; we are now in November and I have mostly regained use of my legs: time to get cracking!
Old

Cardio Exercise Will Increase Your Life Years

Posted 01-24-2010 at 10:28 AM by FredInChina
Updated 01-24-2010 at 11:12 AM by FredInChina
A forum thread started by SteveK got me thinking about short term discomfort vs. long term benefit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK
Q: Doctor, I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
A: Heart only good for so many beats, and that it... Don't waste on exercise. Everything wear out eventually.. Speed up heart
Apprentice
Old

2009 12 - Workouts Planned vs. Accomplished

Posted 01-13-2010 at 02:45 PM by FredInChina
Updated 01-13-2010 at 02:56 PM by FredInChina
On Dec 1st 2009, I set the following goals for the month:

Quote:
On to a Dec KISS:
- 5 to 7 times a week Flight 17 as an ongoing theme; it encompasses legs, cardio and splits routine - preferably before breakfast. Spice it up as the mood goes. (I felt that one coming, didn't I?)
- Dojo classes - Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat --- option fighter's training, or yoga, or rest on Thu & Sun.
- Pilates w Ms. InChina on Tue.
- Write down targets and metrics.
- Formulate a workout
Apprentice
Old

The Perfect Teacher

Posted 01-11-2010 at 09:38 PM by FredInChina
Updated 01-12-2010 at 07:48 PM by FredInChina
Devotions Upon the Heavy Bag.

I've had a lot of good teachers in the martial arts, and very few bad ones. I've had teachers who call out encouragement to me in class, and I've had teachers who would belt me with a wooden paddle. But the best teacher I ever had never said a word to me: not the first time we met, and not once ever up until today. Yet without a single word this teacher has shown me more and more details about kicking correctly than any other teacher. The name of this perfect...
Apprentice
Posted in Teaching
Old

Squeeze The People

Posted 12-19-2009 at 07:04 AM by FredInChina
A message from Jim Sinclair at JS Mineset

Squeeze The People The Album

Please help me get the message across. We have written much and spoken at various venues.

Goldman Sachs' Lloyd Blankfein Doing God's Work!

Still the media makes fun of gold investors and pumps out MOPE daily.

I financed the creation of an album of contemporary folk music...
Apprentice
Posted in Self Protection
Old

A Capital Distinction About Conditioning

Posted 12-18-2009 at 07:45 AM by FredInChina
Updated 12-18-2009 at 09:34 AM by FredInChina
I've been struggling with the notion of conditioning ever since I joined K4L. Reading posts, Ross Enamait's books and searching the web, I encountered several concepts; most of which seemed to converge towards a better ability of the body, and mind, to sustain environmental hardship; but the overall perception was confusing.

I don't know what you do when confused, but my experience is that confusion often comes from assuming a wrong understanding; when confused, my first step is to...
Apprentice
Posted in Training