iconAll times are GMT. The time now is 04:12 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

» Kyokushin4life » General Discussion » General Karate » Japanese Judo Instructor Guilty of Killing 6 year old student

Old 10-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
SteveK
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: The SteveK Way
SteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud of
Japanese Judo Instructor Guilty of Killing 6 year old student

Something wrong here at least 114 deaths from Judo training between 83 and 2010 and this is an instructor guilty of the death of a 6 year old from repeatedly slamming him during training - sad to think this is a sport which is meant to develop character.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/835...r-guilty-death
Old 10-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
GJEC

I can't believe they just fined him.

Makes my blood boil tbh. If he'd trained my 6 year old like that he'd have to find a very remote place to hide in. And I would find him.

Gary
Old 10-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
SteveK
Senior K4L Member

SteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJEC View Post
I can't believe they just fined him.
Yes I had to read that a few times to see if I had missed something

The thing I find so hard to understand is this is an olympic sport with a governing body and training certification and accreditation and yet there appears to be an acceptance of this behaviour in the sport

If there was 114 reported deaths in training incidents over a 27 year period - ie more than 4 a year and involving kids - in any other country they would close the sport down

Old 10-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
ashiharakaicho
Advanced Shoshinsha

Org/Style: Ashihara Karate
ashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud of
Osu,

Thanks for this - sad to hear about it and also makes one somewhat resolute to be ven more careful and considerate.

SteveK - any idea of how many deaths in karate over the same period - if any?

Thanks in advance

Old 10-07-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
DrPhil
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: n/a
DrPhil has a spectacular aura aboutDrPhil has a spectacular aura aboutDrPhil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
If there was 114 reported deaths in training incidents over a 27 year period - ie more than 4 a year and involving kids - in any other country they would close the sport down
I don't know how they train kids in Japan, but I doubt other countries have such statistics. For instance, France has 600 000 judoka, 75% of them are less than 14 years old. I've never heard of any kid death...

I think Asians think that more is better, regarding eduction, training... They work so much but in the end they aren't necessarily better. I think less is more!
Old 10-07-2011, 04:44 AM   #6
harukaze
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Enshin Kaikan
harukaze is a splendid one to beholdharukaze is a splendid one to beholdharukaze is a splendid one to beholdharukaze is a splendid one to beholdharukaze is a splendid one to beholdharukaze is a splendid one to beholdharukaze is a splendid one to beholdharukaze is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I think Asians think that more is better, regarding eduction, training... They work so much but in the end they aren't necessarily better. I think less is more!
Excuse me? Did you just seriously write that?
Old 10-07-2011, 05:52 AM   #7
hokuto12
Senior K4L Member

hokuto12 has a spectacular aura abouthokuto12 has a spectacular aura about
This is bad. In Australia if that happened it would be all over the news. I just spoke with my friend who lives in Osaka and she said that it hasn't been in the news.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:05 AM   #8
s_naka
K4L Member

Org/Style: none
s_naka has a spectacular aura abouts_naka has a spectacular aura abouts_naka has a spectacular aura about
This is horrible. I currently train in Japan and have never witnessed anything like this. Obviously Kyokushin is intense, but my instructors and training partners always take everyone`s safety into consideration.

I teach English in various JHS in my area. Some of the schools have Judo and Kendo as club activities. I`ve watched both and have never seen any severe training.

My daughter will be 6 this November. She has showed interest in training. For those of us with children, I can't even imagine what it would be like if you entrusted someone to train your child and they were seriously injured, or worse in this case.

That instructor should never see the light of day again, needless to say train another child.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
Dobbersky
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: KokuTora Ashiha
Dobbersky is a jewel in the roughDobbersky is a jewel in the roughDobbersky is a jewel in the rough
I am saddened for the family of the 6 Year Old and all the children involved.
I am saddened too for the Instructor as I am sure something changed him to cause him to do such a thing. He will have to live with this for the rest of his life. His Conscious will be knocking on his door every day

My thoughts and prayers go out to those involved.

I have added a sister Thread in the other Forums I frequent, adding a link to this original post

OSU!!!
Old 10-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #10
GJEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbersky View Post
I am saddened too for the Instructor as I am sure something changed him to cause him to do such a thing.
I know you're a believer and I know that involves the concept of forgiveness for the sinner etc

But I can't agree. If this bloke was a big enough name to run a private studio in one of Japan's national sports, you can be sure he was skilful enough to understand what he was doing.

So I have no sympathy for him whatsoever. I just grieve for the loss of so many innocent children by training methods that were both stupid and preventable, even if we give people the benefit of the doubt and hope to believe they weren't malicious.

Gary
Old 10-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #11
SteveK
Senior K4L Member

Quote:
He will have to live with this for the rest of his life. His Conscious will be knocking on his door every day
I don't think he will have cared except for the hassels he has been put through because of it - for a 36 year old skilled practitioner to repeatedly throw a 6 year old student in such a manner as to cause this sort of damage tells me enough about his character..

Last edited by SteveK; 10-07-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
GJEC

My first experience of cruel and stupid treatment in MA was when - as a 16 year old green belt - I was beaten up by a Japanese (Wado) 5th Dan for daring to sweep one of his black belts.

That was in 1972

You would've thought that with the way health and safety has entered sport - especially for children - in the developed world that sort of thing would've been in the past.

Sadly, it's not.

Gary
Old 10-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #13
DrPhil
Senior K4L Member

DrPhil has a spectacular aura aboutDrPhil has a spectacular aura aboutDrPhil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by harukaze View Post
Excuse me? Did you just seriously write that?
Sorry if it sounds like a stereotype. It may well be. But I've noticed that in different fields. Some japanese and chinese colleagues, my taiwanese gf and her family, and even muay thai fighters in Thailand. Many of them seem to work too much, and I believe it's counter productive at some point. But again, that's just a personal feeling, not a scientific study.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #14
smoothsake

Org/Style: IKO1
smoothsake is a splendid one to beholdsmoothsake is a splendid one to beholdsmoothsake is a splendid one to beholdsmoothsake is a splendid one to beholdsmoothsake is a splendid one to beholdsmoothsake is a splendid one to beholdsmoothsake is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
LOL - well if salary is any indication, Asian Americans are doing something right.

Quote:
Personal income varied significantly with an individual's racial characteristics with racial discrepancies having remained largely stagnant since 1996. Overall Asian Americans enjoyed higher median personal incomes than any other racial demographic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona....2B.2C_2006-13

http://pubdb3.census.gov/macro/03200.../new03_008.htm
Old 10-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #15
Ros
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Charnwood
Ros is a splendid one to beholdRos is a splendid one to beholdRos is a splendid one to beholdRos is a splendid one to beholdRos is a splendid one to beholdRos is a splendid one to beholdRos is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
His Conscious will be knocking on his door every day
It's a pity his conscience didn't trouble him a little sooner. I can't imagine this is the first child he has 'trained' in a similarly brutal manner.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #16
jcc
Senior K4L Member

jcc has a spectacular aura aboutjcc has a spectacular aura aboutjcc has a spectacular aura about
Osu!

This is really terrible.

There was one guy at my judo club who was big and strong, but not very skillful. One day he lost it during training and started shaking his (much smaller) partner out of frustration. Fortunately our sensei jumped straight in and reminded the guy that judo is the gentle way. Obviously this instuctor forgot that. And only a fine? Obviously we don´t know all the circumstances here, but still it sounds like he got off very lightly.

Osu!
Old 10-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #17
kanku
member k4l drinking club

Org/Style: IKKU
kanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant future
I just can`t get my head around this, at six the poor child barely knew what he was there for, extra care needs be taken with kids this age as their attention span is low and they are just looking to have fun any, introduction to m.a needs to be as gentle as possible........and this **** does this!?

Makes me feel very sad.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #18
Dobbersky
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: KokuTora Ashiha
Dobbersky is a jewel in the roughDobbersky is a jewel in the roughDobbersky is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanku View Post
I just can`t get my head around this, at six the poor child barely knew what he was there for, extra care needs be taken with kids this age as their attention span is low and they are just looking to have fun any, ...............
Makes me feel very sad.
I can't agree more, I don't take Kids until they are 7, I do allow 6 year olds but that is normally with an older Sibling. I don't have Sparring as part of their grading until 6th Kyu. Body conditioning only happens in the Adults class, their bones etc are still "forming" at this young age!

I think there should be a law that no one under 7 should take up Martial Arts. Does Japan or any other country have a CRB (Criminal Record Bureau) check similar to that done for any Instructors etc?
Old 10-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #19
hokuto12
Senior K4L Member

hokuto12 has a spectacular aura abouthokuto12 has a spectacular aura about
I just hope that the parents of the other students that were training with this instructor remove there kids from his school.
Or that the Judo Federation step up and pull his membership and kick him out of their org.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:07 AM   #20
Ryan M Villarosa
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Shin Atemi
Ryan M Villarosa has a spectacular aura aboutRyan M Villarosa has a spectacular aura aboutRyan M Villarosa has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanku View Post
I just can`t get my head around this, at six the poor child barely knew what he was there for, extra care needs be taken with kids this age as their attention span is low and they are just looking to have fun any, introduction to m.a needs to be as gentle as possible........and this **** does this!?

Makes me feel very sad.
Exactly the point, no child deserves such treatment.

Last edited by vapor; 10-09-2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Inappropriate text deleted