iconAll times are GMT. The time now is 05:29 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Kyokushin4life The Resource Interviews Members Interview with "Hasbeen"

Old 03-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #41
GJEC

Osu! Kakatootoshi

Well spotted!

Without trying to Hijack the thread, here's a piece from my probably-never-to-be-finished book:

Sensei Tatsuo Nakamura

One of the best moves ever by the BKK was to employ a Japanese instructor. (This was controversial at the time, as legendary home-grown talents like Howard Collins and Brian Fitkin had been sidelined and were now teaching overseas - but more about that later)

Many doubted what Sensei Nakamura; a small Japanese 4th Dan would be able to improve. After all, the BKK was by now long established and was running huge successful events. British fighters fought well all over the world, and Sensei Arneil had recently coached the first non-Japanese team to win the WUKO (points) World Championships. In my opinion, speaking as an ambitious young fighter, I wanted to learn all I could about the knockdown style, and as Sensei Nakamura was from the Honbu (headquarters) and had fought in the All-Japan Tournament I knew he obviously had a lot to teach. He was to be based in the south of England, but would travel around the country by arrangement with local instructors. I travelled down expectantly to a course where he was to be formally introduced.

The venue was packed, probably more out of curiosity than anything else, and when Sensei Nakamura came in he looked quite frail. I glanced at some of the seasoned British fighters, some of whom were huge hairy men with hands like crane buckets. I honestly wondered how this small man would measure up. Steve Arneil (who was by now promoted to Shihan Arneil) introduced him, but by his tone and general demeanour I guessed he wasn’t delighted about this whole arrangement. I doubt he felt upstaged, but he probably also wondered what this young man could bring to the table.

Sensei Nakamura then took the warm-up and was impressively flexible. He then showed some combinations, which had everyone open mouthed. Most combinations practised previously were a collection of techniques with various points of focus, but his just flowed. His kicks were fantastic, but the speed and sheer grace he moved with was like comparing a Thoroughbred to Shire horses. We could tell straight away that this was an extremely effective way of moving. Economical and very, very fast.

After about an hour Shihan Arneil brought him to the front and asked him who he’d like to fight with. He flashed a smile, showing a row of gold teeth. I turned to the man next to me and whispered, “I’d hate to fight the man that knocked his teeth out” He grinned back. Then came a shock, “Gary” he said, flashing his teeth.

What? Why me? He doesn’t even know me! Seared through my mind. To my relief Gary Bufton, a big Welshman, stood up. Gary had trained in Japan a few years before so Sensei Nakamura already knew him. He was a PE teacher, big and strong, so we settled down to see what happened. We were not disappointed. Despite being very gentle, this much smaller fighter completely outclassed him. It was incredible to behold, almost like watching a Go Kart racing a Land Rover. Gary sat down smiling and shaking his head. He was no slouch but had been totally outclassed. A few more stepped up and Sensei Nakamura gently kicked them all in the face whenever he felt like it, while skilfully avoiding everything they threw back in return. This was a revelation. Until then my fighting was all about getting in range and throwing bombs. He changed my whole way of thinking in about 10 minutes.

Hope that describes him quite well!

Gary
Old 03-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #42
kakatootoshi
良いお年を!

Org/Style: fumei
kakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond repute
One more hijack of the thread. Gary Bufton Shihan appeared in the opening of "Kenka Karate Kyokushin Buraiken" when he was in Japan.

(I think it is "Bearfighter", not "Bullfighter".)
Old 03-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #43
sandman
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: WYKKO
sandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJEChamberlain View Post
Osu! Kakatootoshi

Well spotted!

Without trying to Hijack the thread, here's a piece from my probably-never-to-be-finished book....
Osu Gary!

I hope this "never-to-be-finished" prophesy doesn't come true. That little bit was a very interesting read... Put me on the pre-order list when it comes about.

Osu!
Old 03-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #44
MilkManX
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Enshin
MilkManX is just really niceMilkManX is just really niceMilkManX is just really niceMilkManX is just really niceMilkManX is just really nice

Add me to that list too!

Old 03-22-2009, 05:06 PM   #45
DKKC
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: IFK/BKK
DKKC will become famous soon enoughDKKC will become famous soon enough
Add me as well!!
Old 03-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #46
senshido
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: IKKU
senshido is a splendid one to beholdsenshido is a splendid one to beholdsenshido is a splendid one to beholdsenshido is a splendid one to beholdsenshido is a splendid one to beholdsenshido is a splendid one to beholdsenshido is a splendid one to behold
Gary, Bernard Creton brought Sensei Nakamura to one of our camps as a guest instructor many moons ago, very impressive, did you ever get the chance to spar with him yourself at a later date?
Old 03-22-2009, 09:44 PM   #47
GJEC

Osu!

Only a little at Zama dojo. All over me like a rash if I'm honest!

Gary
Old 08-28-2011, 01:58 AM   #48
FredInChina
Apprentice

Org/Style: IOGKF,Kyokushin
FredInChina has disabled reputation
Osu,

So sorry to dig an older thread out, but these interviews are eternal...

I was wondering if Bernard Creton and Jeff Wybrow were still active in Karate & if we could conduct an interview with them?
The same goes with Brian Fitkin also mentioned above, but there, I know he is still active.

Osu!
Old 08-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #49
kanku
member k4l drinking club

kanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredInChina View Post
Osu,

So sorry to dig an older thread out, but these interviews are eternal...

I was wondering if Bernard Creton and Jeff Wybrow were still active in Karate & if we could conduct an interview with them?
The same goes with Brian Fitkin also mentioned above, but there, I know he is still active.

Osu!
Osu Fred!

There is an interview with jeff whybrow somewhere in the interview section....if you want to know anything about bernard and you are at kt...if i don`t know senshido will!
Old 08-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #50
FredInChina
Apprentice

Thank you Kanku.
Unfortunately I will not be at K2 this year...
Would you like to conduct an interview or two for the avid K4Lers readers?

Osu!
Old 08-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #51
kanku
member k4l drinking club

kanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredInChina View Post
Thank you Kanku.
Unfortunately I will not be at K2 this year...
Would you like to conduct an interview or two for the avid K4Lers readers?

Osu!
although i`m always keen to do this sort of thing with tmd...this time we have bigger fish to fry, i have even banned mrs and master kanku this year!
Old 08-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #52
FredInChina
Apprentice

That is very true Kanku, please focus on the important first!
Thank you for reminding me.

Osu!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #53
juvee
New K4Ler

Org/Style: n/a
juvee is on a distinguished road
Osu I think so too!!

Juvee