iconAll times are GMT. The time now is 09:36 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #21
kanku
member k4l drinking club

Org/Style: IKKU
kanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant future
Osu Danbo!

My wife originates from Thailand and i live in South London, if you need any advise...shout.

p.s welcome to k4l

Old 04-11-2012, 06:09 AM   #22
danbo
New K4Ler

Org/Style: n/a
danbo is on a distinguished road
Cheers / domo arigato / khawp khun mak khrap kanku. Whereabouts in London do you train, if I may ask? Not sure which part of town we'll settle in yet. I spent 8 years in London before coming here and had a couple of encouters with 'happy slapping' gangs of hoodied up yoof. One reason to want to train kyokushin and get my reflexes sharper...

Osu!!

Old 04-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #23
kanku
member k4l drinking club

kanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbo View Post
Cheers / domo arigato / khawp khun mak khrap kanku. Whereabouts in London do you train, if I may ask? Not sure which part of town we'll settle in yet. I spent 8 years in London before coming here and had a couple of encouters with 'happy slapping' gangs of hoodied up yoof. One reason to want to train kyokushin and get my reflexes sharper...

Osu!!
I am 56 and falling apart by the day, so long past training due to injury but my boy trains in Wallington ( Sutton Kyokushin KSK ) There are also some very good BKK dojo`s nearby including Hanshi`s in Raynes Park...There are also some really good BKK dojo`s in the Eastend....I can personally recommend all of them...all depends where you want to live, if and when you do move i`ll give you some options, don`t worry about what associations they are all much of a muchness.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:41 AM   #24
danbo
New K4Ler

Thanks for the heads-up kanku. Hope your son enjoys training - I've been brainwashing mine to hopefully have a long-time interest in martial arts. Mostly by watching 'Enter The Dragon' with him, lol, and he recently started doing Muay Thai which, like Kyohushin, I admire for the 'realness' of it's training. I may have my son do a bit of judo further down the line, if he likes the idea. Healthier than videogames and some of the other crap that kids spend so much time doing (though I do let him play games).

Osu!!

BTW can I ask if your injuries are karate-related? Well I just did :-p

If so any tips on avoiding injury in the dojo?

Last edited by Dent; 04-11-2012 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Consecutive posts - Please don't post consecutively. Use the MULTI function button to select multiple posts.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #25
kanku
member k4l drinking club

Quote:
BTW can I ask if your injuries are karate-related? Well I just did :-p

If so any tips on avoiding injury in the dojo?
You will get injured sooner or later...the nature of the beast, however most people don`t get injured badly! My tip would be:

Turn up with an open mind with no pre-conceptions, listen and always give 100% or there is no point in starting.

As for your boy: I always ask him if he enjoyed himself, if he says no, two or three times i will ask him if HE wants to carry on with his training, a child should see training as a social event as well as a training event....Just my opinion.

p.s yes my injuries were karate related.

Last edited by kanku; 04-11-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #26
danbo
New K4Ler

OK off down the gym. Till I find a dojo I can at least work on losing the gut.

Osu and thanks for all the replies so far!!

Just seen your reply kanku and I love your attitude re your son's training. My son stopped playing football on weekends in the scorching Thai weather as we asked a couple of times and he said he wasn't really enjoying it. I won't force him to do martial arts if they're not for him, but while he's training will encourage him as much as possible. So far he enjoys his Muay Thai but he's 4 1/2 years old so naturally the training is not too hardcore

Also what you say about being totally open-minded in training makes sense too. Osu!!

PS hope the injuries don't hurt too much day to day. I have a knackered toe from my Shorinji Kempo days (injured it about ten years ago sparring and it still hurts from time to time). Some injury is par for the course I guess.....

Last edited by Dent; 04-11-2012 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Consecutive posts - Please don't post consecutively. Use the MULTI function button to select multiple posts.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #27
kanku
member k4l drinking club

Quote:
OK off down the gym. Till I find a dojo I can at least work on losing the gut.

Osu and thanks for all the replies so far!!
If you do intend starting Kyokushin, i would also recommend gently working on your flexibility..could save time and ag.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #28
Dent
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: IOGKF/ IKO 1
Dent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond repute
Osu!

Ah! I do understand. I do recommend that you start the immigration process early. Kanku can be invaluable in this regard.

Osu!

Old 04-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #29
kanku
member k4l drinking club

I am quite happy to advise, i had loads of problems initially which were overcome legally with the correct legal support ( it costs but it works!)....Don`t get tempted by any short cuts, or the "vultures" in wireless road!!

We know somebody who processed his wife no problem and then tried the same with her child....refused!!.... marriage on the rocks because his wife knew he refused the advise we were trying to give because it cost a few quid!.....Is it worth it?

The guy i know does no visa no fee, they are all of course bandits but he is English, an ex legal immagration advisor to the British embassy and lives in Thailand with his own offices...he has been established years and knows what he is doing...he also speaks Thai and has experienced bi lingual staff, a big help!

Old 04-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #30
danbo
New K4Ler

Kanku, my flexibility leaves a great deal to be desired so I'll certainly be working on that. I started doing a bit of (mostly daily) light stretching when I started working out again but I probably need to ramp it up. Doubtless there's some useful info to that end on this forum...

Dent, your advice about starting the immigration process early sounds wise, therefore...

Kanku I may indeed ask your advice at some juncture should the need arise, if that's ok...

Osu!!

Old 04-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #31
danbo
New K4Ler

Just seen your latest kanku. Thanks for that. My son has dual passports so hopefully getting him there shouldn't be a problem. Just the old trouble and strife to worry about

Sorry to hear about the guy you klnow and his troubles. I've heard UK Immigration can be a bit harsh

My wife is rather stingy but I'll try and impress upon her the fact that it may be worth getting legal support. Not the sort of thing you want to mess up...

Old 04-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #32
kanku
member k4l drinking club

Quote:
Just seen your latest kanku. Thanks for that. My son has dual passports so hopefully getting him there shouldn't be a problem. Just the old trouble and strife to worry about

Sorry to hear about the guy you klnow and his troubles. I've heard UK Immigration can be a bit harsh

My wife is rather stingy but I'll try and impress upon her the fact that it may be worth getting legal support. Not the sort of thing you want to mess up...
I`ll p.m you....................couldn`t p.m you perhaps because of your lack of posts but i have tried to email you, let me know if you do not receive the email?

Last edited by kanku; 04-11-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #33
danbo
New K4Ler

kanku I got your email - very grateful for that. Thanks.

I'll definitely heed your advice.

Osu!!

Old 04-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #34
danbo
New K4Ler

There are some great people on this forum.

Osu!!

Old 04-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #35
SteveK
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: The SteveK Way
SteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud of
Welcome to K4L - mate 38 is a good age to start
and there is plenty of good advise so far
if you want to get a headstart I would say have a look around for a Muay Thai gym that is Farang Friendly and doesnt just cater for fighters
Try and get in a couple of lessons a week it will get you on the right track and get you in shape
things like skipping, single technique practice and shadow sparring you can do at home a couple of days a week along with stretching - you will be surprised how quickly you start to improve

Osu

Last edited by SteveK; 04-11-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Closed Thread