iconAll times are GMT. The time now is 04:12 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Kyokushin4life General Discussion Knockdown Karate Yellow Belt - A special significance for me

Old 04-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
SKohai
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Kyokushin-IKO1
SKohai will become famous soon enoughSKohai will become famous soon enough
Yellow Belt - A special significance for me

I started training at the age of 14 in a sport karate style, the first belt they had was yellow belt. After training for four months i graded for my first belt which is yellow in that style(and many other style), i quit after that because i wanted full contacted style.

I joined kyokushin karate and trained for five years, here yellow belt was 6th kyu, and during my five years i made it to yellow belt, and was about to grade for green when i had to quit because of university.

After many years i joined shidokan, here i trained for a year and took one test and even though i had many years of experience they graded me to the first belt they have after white in syllabus, which is yellow belt again.

I again quit that dojo and joined another full contact dojo, where i started off again as a white, and after four months i was triple promoted again to guess what? Yellow belt!!.

Again i had to quit due to personal reasons and i joined a kyokushin dojo in January this year, I started off fresh as a white belt and i left it at shihan to gauge my experience and grade me to whatever he feels i belong at.
I got an invitation 2 days ago to grade here again to a yellow belt 6th kyu.

Currently i have like 5 yellow belts at my house, each from individual styles.
One from local karate, another from my teenage kyokushin dojo, one from shidokan dojo, another from miura dojo, and now i will have a new one from the new kyokushin kai dojo.

I will remember yellow as a significant belt in my kyokushin journey and as a significant color in my life.!

Last edited by SKohai; 04-12-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
bobh
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: Kyokushin
bobh has a reputation beyond reputebobh has a reputation beyond reputebobh has a reputation beyond reputebobh has a reputation beyond reputebobh has a reputation beyond reputebobh has a reputation beyond reputebobh has a reputation beyond reputebobh has a reputation beyond reputebobh has a reputation beyond reputebobh has a reputation beyond reputebobh has a reputation beyond repute
You forgot to mention... at the time of this post, you are a YELLOW belt on K4L! :-D
Old 04-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
SKohai
Senior K4L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobh View Post
You forgot to mention... at the time of this post, you are a YELLOW belt on K4L! :-D
hahahahahhahahahahaha!!!! repped! I honestly just noticed! Definitely there is something about "yellow" for me!
Old 04-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
Chakuriki
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Oyama-ish
Chakuriki is a glorious beacon of lightChakuriki is a glorious beacon of lightChakuriki is a glorious beacon of lightChakuriki is a glorious beacon of lightChakuriki is a glorious beacon of light
Hey SKohai,

As I'm sure you know, its not really the rank that matters its the experience you pick up along the way. With that say, what irony you keep getting yellow belts.

Good luck with your journey

OSU!
Old 04-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
SteveK
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: The SteveK Way
SteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud of
It is good you hold the significance of that colour - I think it is something many soon forget once getting to black belt but in fact every colour is a very significant milestone when it obtained and should be cherished as such

Osu
Old 04-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
Tay
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: BKK (IFK)
Tay is just really niceTay is just really niceTay is just really niceTay is just really nice
Don't mean to ruin it all but: in the English language, yellow has traditionally been associated with cowardice. The word yellow can be used as an adjective meaning cowardly.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow
Old 04-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
jcarmello
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Hwe Dup Bap
jcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant future
Osu!

Kiiroi Obi!! Has a ring to it for a new online name!!
Old 04-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
jcarmello
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Hwe Dup Bap
jcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay View Post
Don't mean to ruin it all but: in the English language, yellow has traditionally been associated with cowardice. The word yellow can be used as an adjective meaning cowardly.

That is "Old time yap." no one uses that expression any more over here!!

(sorry for the double quote)
Old 04-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
bobh
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: Kyokushin
bobh has a reputation beyond reputebobh has a reputation beyond reputebobh has a reputation beyond reputebobh has a reputation beyond reputebobh has a reputation beyond reputebobh has a reputation beyond reputebobh has a reputation beyond reputebobh has a reputation beyond reputebobh has a reputation beyond reputebobh has a reputation beyond reputebobh has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Yes, in case you get transported back to the USA in the 1950's or find yourself in a Western movie being called "yella."
Old 04-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
SKohai
Senior K4L Member

Quote:

I cant believe it! I started karate because i thought i was a coward as a child, and couldnt fight bullies or stand up for myself in life!
But with that said, karate did gave me confidence along the way.

EDIT: But to be honest, yellow is my least favourite color in kyokushin belt spectrum. Since beginning i never really found much enticement in the thought of havinga yellow belt, maybe becvasue the color doesnt stand on its own when wore on a gi? It was brown which i have always really wanted to get! but i keep getting yellows all the time.

Last edited by SKohai; 04-12-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
jcbel
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: IKO1
jcbel is just really nicejcbel is just really nicejcbel is just really nicejcbel is just really nicejcbel is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobh View Post
Yes, in case you get transported back to the USA in the 1950's or find yourself in a Western movie being called "yella."
If you have a DeLorean you could do both...

0:25

1:47