iconAll times are GMT. The time now is 02:21 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Kyokushin4life The Lounge Social Space Tour de Sandman - Scotland, England's Lake District and Southern Ireland

Old 04-16-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
sandman
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: WYKKO
sandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond repute
Tour de Sandman - Scotland, England's Lake District and Southern Ireland

Osu!

Planning a family vacation in May and thought it would be cool if a K4L meet up or two could be arranged

Mrs Sandman has the itinerary pretty well ironed out - here's an overview:

Arrive to Edinburgh Scotland early May 13 - we'll be staying in Edinburgh just a couple days, leaving to the Lake District of England where we'll stay until May 19. From there we'll take the ferry to Ireland and will in the Limerick area until May 25. We had to Dublin early on the 25th and we depart Dublin for home on May 27.

If any of you folks in those areas think you might be able to meet me and the family in your favorite pub please let me know

Osu!
Old 04-16-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Bloke
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: n/a
Bloke is just really niceBloke is just really niceBloke is just really niceBloke is just really niceBloke is just really nice
Let me know where in Dublin you are staying and Ill buy you a pint (or two).
Old 04-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
sandman
Senior K4L Member

sandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond repute
Osu!

Sounds great Bloke . I'll pm you later with the details.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
senshido
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: IKKU
senshido is a splendid one to beholdsenshido is a splendid one to beholdsenshido is a splendid one to beholdsenshido is a splendid one to beholdsenshido is a splendid one to beholdsenshido is a splendid one to beholdsenshido is a splendid one to behold
wrong coast!!! wrong coast!!! wrong coast!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
sandman
Senior K4L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senshido View Post
wrong coast!!! wrong coast!!! wrong coast!!!
Doh!!!!

Ha ha! Too late to change now - Mrs. Sandman's got it all down on her spreadsheet
Old 04-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
sandman
Senior K4L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
Doh!!!!

Ha ha! Too late to change now - Mrs. Sandman's got it all down on her spreadsheet
BTW:

Would also be interested to hear any input from you guys living around these parts - any recommendations of places to go, things to do, etc...

For example, I was thinking it might be cool to tour a Scotch factory - any good ones on or near my route?

And in Dublin - is the Guinness factory worth a look?

Any other recommendations?

Cheers
Old 04-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
seienchin
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: Nil
seienchin has a reputation beyond reputeseienchin has a reputation beyond reputeseienchin has a reputation beyond reputeseienchin has a reputation beyond reputeseienchin has a reputation beyond reputeseienchin has a reputation beyond reputeseienchin has a reputation beyond reputeseienchin has a reputation beyond reputeseienchin has a reputation beyond reputeseienchin has a reputation beyond reputeseienchin has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
BTW:

I was thinking it might be cool to tour a Scotch factory

Cheers
I think the term you are after is distillery. I'd be surprised if there aren't a few good' uns on the way.

You can have whisky in Scotland, and whiskey in Ireland. Washed down by guinness, or kilkenny, or other brew of choice. The guiness brewery is very educational!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
kanku
member k4l drinking club

kanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant future
If it helps, we all stayed in the travelodge cameron toll edinburgh for 19 per night and i thought it was an o.k hotel with car park and bus stops outside.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
sandman
Senior K4L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seienchin View Post
I think the term you are after is distillery. I'd be surprised if there aren't a few good' uns on the way.

You can have whisky in Scotland, and whiskey in Ireland. Washed down by guinness, or kilkenny, or other brew of choice. The guiness brewery is very educational!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanku View Post
If it helps, we all stayed in the travelodge cameron toll edinburgh for 19 per night and i thought it was an o.k hotel with car park and bus stops outside.
A big "thank you" to the both of you!
Old 04-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
slaine
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: kyokushin
slaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to all
If BLOKE is going to hook up with you I might tag along aswell , I'd say you'll enjoy the Guinness factory but most of the pub's are good craic anyway , just be careful where you get your Guinness
Old 04-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #11
sandman
Senior K4L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaine View Post
If BLOKE is going to hook up with you I might tag along aswell , I'd say you'll enjoy the Guinness factory but most of the pub's are good craic anyway , just be careful where you get your Guinness
Great!

As for where to get the Guinness - I'll look to you and Bloke for that
Old 04-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
slaine
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: kyokushin
slaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to all
I'd say between the 2 of us we'll guide you in the right direction
Old 04-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
knuckleheader
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: none
knuckleheader is a jewel in the roughknuckleheader is a jewel in the roughknuckleheader is a jewel in the roughknuckleheader is a jewel in the rough
Gonna kiss the Blarney stone, ay?
Old 04-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #14
SKohai
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Kyokushin-IKO1
SKohai will become famous soon enoughSKohai will become famous soon enough
Sounds fun sandman! Hope i could take a vacation myself and join you in scotland. Have fun!

Last edited by sandman; 04-16-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
tmd
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: IKK
tmd has a brilliant futuretmd has a brilliant futuretmd has a brilliant futuretmd has a brilliant futuretmd has a brilliant futuretmd has a brilliant futuretmd has a brilliant futuretmd has a brilliant futuretmd has a brilliant futuretmd has a brilliant futuretmd has a brilliant future
have a great trip Sandman - I live below London so a good 6+ hours form your planed route but I do travel all over and if I find myself straying North I'll let you know.

I spent most of my childhood holidays in the lakes and still love them - kids think its the most boring thing in the world walking up hills and through woods and sitting by or on a lake (in a boat before someone gets smart ) but I still think it is a beautifully peaceful part of the country.

May is not warm here, very unpredictable time of year to be fair but probably will be between 10-15 deg C and will most likely rain for a good percentage of your trip, hope this helps with the packing choices. The MET Office is the best resource for weather watching.

If you do stray south let me know and we will defo hook up.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #16
sandman
Senior K4L Member

Thanks for the tips tmd - we will definitely be packing the rain coats! I guess we can leave the sun glasses at home
Old 04-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #17
tmd
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: IKK
tmd has a brilliant futuretmd has a brilliant futuretmd has a brilliant futuretmd has a brilliant futuretmd has a brilliant futuretmd has a brilliant futuretmd has a brilliant futuretmd has a brilliant futuretmd has a brilliant futuretmd has a brilliant futuretmd has a brilliant future
Quote:
Thanks for the tips tmd - we will definitely be packing the rain coats! I guess we can leave the sun glasses at home
Erm no not if your driving as the sun sits quite low this time of year and the roads are very shinny - so you'll be driving along with both the heater and the shades on
Old 04-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #18
Dent
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: IOGKF/ IKO 1
Dent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond repute
Osu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmd View Post
May is not warm here, very unpredictable time of year to be fair but probably will be between 10-15 deg C and will most likely rain for a good percentage of your trip,
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmd View Post
if your driving as the sun sits quite low this time of year and the roads are very shinny - so you'll be driving along with both the heater and the shades on
Still working for the tourism board, TMD?

Osu!
Old 04-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #19
kanku
member k4l drinking club

kanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant future
Osu Sandman!

I still think you should look up Senshido in the Oban area and you would get the bonus of meeting the brothers! Just over two hours from Edinburgh by car.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #20
Dent
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: IOGKF/ IKO 1
Dent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond repute
Osu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanku View Post
you would get the bonus of meeting the brothers!
Wouldn't be at all Grimm!

Osu!