iconAll times are GMT. The time now is 07:03 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.
-->

Kyokushin4life The Lounge Open Discussion What book's on your nightstand?

Reply 4849 50 515260 > Last »

Old 04-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #981
Akuru
New K4Ler

Org/Style: n/a
Akuru is on a distinguished road
The Book of Five Rings and What is Karate.
Osu!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #982
Bloke
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: n/a
Bloke is just really niceBloke is just really niceBloke is just really niceBloke is just really niceBloke is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksan View Post
Reading this one atm.

Any initial thoughts Ksan - worth a purchase?
Old 04-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #983
slaine
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: kyokushin
slaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to all
I also finished it last week Bloke , I found it a very enjoyable and interesting read and was worth buying , I got the printed version by the way .
Old 04-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #984
ksan
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: Kicky & Punchy
ksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloke View Post
Any initial thoughts Ksan - worth a purchase?
I really like this book. The only reason i didnt go through it in one go is because i have so much reading to do (work & study wise). And i am trying to savour it a bit. Also recently bought Natan Ligos book and that is much less of a good read then the Nicolas Pettas book. Both are good, but the Pettas one is just much better. Definately worth purchasing.

I am also stunned by the differences seeing both were at honbu as uchi desi at the same time. They dont flat out cancel eachother out but the differences are noticable and I am starting to wonder who is telling the "true-er" story.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:52 AM   #985
FredInChina
Apprentice

Org/Style: IOGKF,Kyokushin
FredInChina has disabled reputation
Quote:
(...) the differences are noticable and I am starting to wonder who is telling the "true-er" story.
Wonderful... I was talking to our own K4L Ikken on Skype the other day; he also was at Honbu as an Ushi Deshi together with Nicolas Pettas Sensei & a few others...
We'll see how this can develop into a full blown story

Osu!
Old 04-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #986
SteveK
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: The SteveK Way
SteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud of
The Winner Stands Alone - Paolo Coelho
I have become a bit of a fan
Old 04-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #987
sandman
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: WYKKO
sandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokuto12 View Post
Currently reading Meditations on Violence: A Comparison of Martial Arts Training and Real World Violence by Rory Miller.
I was just looking at Rory Miller's selection of books on Amazon - any recommendations which one to get first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredInChina View Post
Limits to growth, the 30 years edition...
Get your copy now! Trust me, this is going to be the hot trend of the coming 25 years!

Osu!
My copy just arrived
Old 04-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #988
slaine
Senior K4L Member

slaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to all
GO for Meditations first or just buy both you won't regret it they're both recommended reading , in my opinion .
Old 04-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #989
Sanshou_Jae
Banned

Org/Style: ?
Sanshou_Jae will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I really like this book. The only reason i didnt go through it in one go is because i have so much reading to do (work & study wise). And i am trying to savour it a bit. Also recently bought Natan Ligos book and that is much less of a good read then the Nicolas Pettas book. Both are good, but the Pettas one is just much better. Definately worth purchasing.

I am also stunned by the differences seeing both were at honbu as uchi desi at the same time. They dont flat out cancel eachother out but the differences are noticable and I am starting to wonder who is telling the "true-er" story.
Cristina Oyama (Sosai's daughter) has publicly stated that Natan Ligos (she refers to him as NL on her blog) never completed the 1000days and quit the programme. She also went on to say that Natan is making/was untrue statements about his time at the Honbu and his 'qualifications'

It's all on her blog, but as none of us were there at that time I guess we all have to work out for ourselves what's fluff and whats true...!!!

Old 04-29-2012, 02:09 AM   #990
SteveK
Senior K4L Member

SteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud of
Reading Strategies and Practices - A Compendium - 5th Edition

Not everyone's cup of tea but interesting reading and definitely works better than a sleeping tablet
Old 04-29-2012, 02:25 AM   #991
FredInChina
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
My copy [of Limits to growth] just arrived
Enjoy the reading Sandman.

Quote:
Reading Strategies and Practices - A Compendium - 5th Edition

Not everyone's cup of tea but interesting reading and definitely works better than a sleeping tablet
What is that one about SteveK?

Osu!
Old 04-29-2012, 02:40 AM   #992
SteveK
Senior K4L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredInChina View Post
What is that one about SteveK? Osu!
Simply approaches to teaching reading in the classroom -
Old 04-29-2012, 02:41 AM   #993
FredInChina
Apprentice

Ahhhh, thank you SteveK

Osu!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #994
ksan
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: Kicky & Punchy
ksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanshou_Jae View Post
Cristina Oyama (Sosai's daughter) has publicly stated that Natan Ligos (she refers to him as NL on her blog) never completed the 1000days and quit the programme. She also went on to say that Natan is making/was untrue statements about his time at the Honbu and his 'qualifications'

It's all on her blog, but as none of us were there at that time I guess we all have to work out for ourselves what's fluff and whats true...!!!

The truth is in the eye of the beholder
Old 04-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #995
Lowlander
K4L Member

Org/Style: Enshin
Lowlander will become famous soon enough
My Journey in Karate by Joko Ninomiya has been an absolutely incredible read, I can honestly say it's the most inspiring book I have ever read and since I completed it about three weeks ago I have "re-doubled" my training efforts. His in depth description of his life brings the human inside to light instead of just an amazing master who you could never really relate to.

This books has taught me that we can only go as high as our dreams are and that when we tell ourselves that we can't, thats a lie, it's the weak part yelling "stop it's too hard, I hurt! ect.." Once we affirm to conquer and achieve victory over our own low self esteem and inner weaknesses, then we can become champions of life.

If you haven't read it please do!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #996
ashiharakaicho
Advanced Shoshinsha

Org/Style: Ashihara Karate
ashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud of
just finished Storm Dragon by James Cobb - with no more Ludlums or von Lustbader's or Alastair McLean - Cobb's sea stories are becoming a interesting read ...

Old 05-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #997
senshido
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: IKKU
senshido is a splendid one to beholdsenshido is a splendid one to beholdsenshido is a splendid one to beholdsenshido is a splendid one to beholdsenshido is a splendid one to beholdsenshido is a splendid one to beholdsenshido is a splendid one to behold
Currently reading "The Parthian" by Peter Darman
Old 05-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #998
SteveK
Senior K4L Member

Martial Arts Nutrition - A precision guide to fueling your fighting edge
by Teri Tom

Just quickly read through this - Daniel borrowed a copy
This looks like a seriously good book - not for those not interested in the hard yards regarding diet and nutrition
She has worked with Manny Pacquiou and Amir Khan and these stories alone are worth a read (the Amir Khan one was very interesting)

I will be picking up a copy for my reference library

Old 05-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #999
ashiharakaicho
Advanced Shoshinsha

Org/Style: Ashihara Karate
ashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
Martial Arts Nutrition - A precision guide to fueling your fighting edge by Teri Tom
She has worked with Manny Pacquiou and Amir Khan and these stories alone are worth a read (the Amir Khan one was very interesting)
Hi, Amir Khan as in the Bollywood actor?

Then, just started reading Clive Cussler's "Treasure of Khan" - a Dirk Pitt novel

Old 05-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #1000
slaine
Senior K4L Member

Amir Khan is also a well known british professional boxer .