iconAll times are GMT. The time now is 03:02 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

» Kyokushin4life » General Discussion » General Karate » Why I believe that Kyu ranks should not correct or advise Dan ranks

Old 04-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #101
FighterforLife
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: IKO
FighterforLife is a glorious beacon of lightFighterforLife is a glorious beacon of lightFighterforLife is a glorious beacon of lightFighterforLife is a glorious beacon of lightFighterforLife is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dent View Post
Osu!

Very recently, I had a young man come to me for something. I don't think it was training, because he spent a lot of time telling me how he had trained with this person, and that person, etc. and when we started the exercises, he told me about how X was done here, or Y was done there.

So rather than try to share my own limited knowledge, I told him how well he was doing, how I was sure of his future success, and how I looked forward to seeing him again. Three outright lies, but I feel very comfortable with that.

Osu!
you're a better man than i. i'd wanted to shut hum up by following those 3 remarks with "hey, lets throw on our gloves and go a couple rounds!"
Old 04-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #102
Dent
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: IOGKF/ IKO 1
Dent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond repute
Osu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FighterforLife View Post
you're a better man than i. i'd wanted to shut hum up by following those 3 remarks with "hey, lets throw on our gloves and go a couple rounds!"
Maybe if I didn't have better things to do. All I wanted was for him to leave so that I could get back to training. Every extra minute with him was another pound of sand in my shorts.

I would absolutely volunteer him to glove up with you though. I could train and enjoy the knowledge of his being at one with the shin.

Osu!
Old 04-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #103
FighterforLife
Senior K4L Member

FighterforLife is a glorious beacon of lightFighterforLife is a glorious beacon of lightFighterforLife is a glorious beacon of lightFighterforLife is a glorious beacon of lightFighterforLife is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Osu!

Maybe if I didn't have better things to do. All I wanted was for him to leave so that I could get back to training. Every extra minute with him was another pound of sand in my shorts.

I would absolutely volunteer him to glove up with you though. I could train and enjoy the knowledge of his being at one with the shin.

Osu!
volunteering me for the cage, eh? lol.

given that you and i have never actually met then this kid must have seriously UNDERwhelmed you.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #104
Dent
Senior Moderator

Dent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond repute
Osu!

Quote:
volunteering me for the cage, eh? lol.

given that you and i have never actually met then this kid must have seriously UNDERwhelmed you.
True, we haven't met yet, but I'm still confident in your skills over his.

Osu!
Old 04-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #105
FighterforLife
Senior K4L Member

Quote:
Osu!

True, we haven't met yet, but I'm still confident in your skills over his.

Osu!
Where are your stomping grounds? And if you're ever in Tampa FL send me a message - without sounding egotistical or self deprecating, I'd enjoy going a round or two with someone like you.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #106
Dent
Senior Moderator

Osu!

Quote:
Where are your stomping grounds? And if you're ever in Tampa FL send me a message - without sounding egotistical or self deprecating, I'd enjoy going a round or two with someone like you.
Wish I'd known last year. Was in Clearwater for a bit. Currently in NJ. Just north of Princeton. You're welcome here too.

Osu!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #107
Havamal
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: .
Havamal has a spectacular aura aboutHavamal has a spectacular aura about
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
In my opinion...

I agree that true beginners shouldn't be correcting anyone, even each other (occasionally in our dojo I'll see some 9th kyu kid trying to show a 10th kyu kid how to do something, and showing them entirely wrong - drives me nuts! I always give them a stern "you need to concentrate on yourself and leave the teaching to us").

However, in tournament fighting (and I believe this is where the difference of opinion was) you can often have situations where one fighter might be a lower rank but have plenty more fighting experience than a higher ranking member. In that case I am happy to listen to that lower ranking fighter. If he or she sees an opportunity I'm missing I want them to speak up! And I think in that case it should be clear to everyone else that this lower ranking fighter is experienced and his or her opinion has merit. If another lower ranking, inexperienced student takes it as a cue that it is ok to correct upperbelts, they can be put in their place pretty easily - "Joe has experience, you don't! Get out there and fight, do it often, then you can give advice."

Furthermore - if someone outranks me but has no fighting experience and wants to give me fighting advice, I will give them a polite thank you for the help, and then I will promptly forget everything they just told me.
...one fighter might be a lower rank, but have plenty more Sport-fighting or real-fighting experience(s)...

karata-ka tend to cling to ranks, buiding-up thier own ego & beliefs, while Judo-ka/BJJ/GJJ/MMA people tend have a relative more open mind about what works.

the less contact the karate a dojo does, more ego gets inflated.

Osu
Old 04-27-2012, 03:17 AM   #108
SteveK
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: The SteveK Way
SteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud of
A wise man once told me

"Unless someone asks me for my opinion or advice I do not give it"

I have found this a very good rule of thumb

Osu
Old 04-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #109
vapor
Über Mod

Org/Style: IKO1
vapor is a splendid one to beholdvapor is a splendid one to beholdvapor is a splendid one to beholdvapor is a splendid one to beholdvapor is a splendid one to beholdvapor is a splendid one to beholdvapor is a splendid one to beholdvapor is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havamal View Post
...one fighter might be a lower rank, but have plenty more Sport-fighting or real-fighting experience(s)...

karata-ka tend to cling to ranks, buiding-up thier own ego & beliefs, while Judo-ka/BJJ/GJJ/MMA people tend have a relative more open mind about what works.

Osu
A rather broad statement....is this where the tried and true disclaimer "your mileage may vary" comes into play?

vapor
Old 04-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #110
SteveK
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: The SteveK Way
SteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud of
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havamal View Post

Osu
Not sure I agree with this statement - I have met plenty of over inflated egos in all forms - and many of the clingers on in Boxing/BJJ/GJJ/MMA/Muay Thai etc that have never had a fight or very few and trade on the reputations of the gyms they train at and fighters they know

Guys strutting round in their tap out shirts and venom shorts with bodies that reflect more time in the weights room and under tan lamps than on the mat and in the ring

I have found however the attitude of the students is often most reflective of that of their instructors trainers and higher ranks - humble open minds breed more humble open minds and proud closed minds perpetuate the same regardless of the art
Old 04-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #111
sandman
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: WYKKO
sandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond repute
Well said Steve - tried to rep you but couldn't...
Old 04-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #112
Dent
Senior Moderator

Osu!

Sandman, same boat. The thought was there, SteveK!

Osu!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #113
FighterforLife
Senior K4L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post

Guys strutting round in their tap out shirts and venom shorts with bodies that reflect more time in the weights room and under tan lamps than on the mat and in the ring
Have any of you guys noticed that the majority of people who wear 'fighter' clothes are terribly fat or clearly have never entered the ring?

It seems like the lifeblood for that apparel line is the need of posers to try to appear as something theyre not!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #114
Hangtime
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: WYKKO
Hangtime has much to be proud ofHangtime has much to be proud ofHangtime has much to be proud ofHangtime has much to be proud ofHangtime has much to be proud ofHangtime has much to be proud ofHangtime has much to be proud ofHangtime has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
Well said Steve - tried to rep you but couldn't...
Quote:
Osu!

Sandman, same boat. The thought was there, SteveK!

Osu!
Done....I want that post nominated for post of the month.

Quote:
Have any of you guys noticed that the majority of people who wear 'fighter' clothes are terribly fat or clearly have never entered the ring?

It seems like the lifeblood for that apparel line is the need of posers to try to appear as something theyre not!
uuuuuuuuuuuuugh don't get me started on that...

OSU!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #115
Dent
Senior Moderator

Osu!

Some of those fat folk are very dangerous. We might fall on you fit types, and then what?

Osu!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #116
slaine
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: kyokushin
slaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to all
Quote:
Osu!

Some of those fat folk are very dangerous. We might fall on you fit types, and then what?

Osu!
I'm going to do some research on you and find out where you're giging next , plus who writes your material or is all your own .
Old 04-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #117
Dent
Senior Moderator

Osu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaine View Post
I'm going to do some research on you and find out where you're giging next , plus who writes your material or is all your own .
And who says a misspent youth is a bad thing?

Osu!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #118
jcarmello
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Hwe Dup Bap
jcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant future
Quote:

Osu!

I believe there were a number of "fantasy fighters" in the beginning of the MMA apparel craze, however, I believe that now it is more aimed at the "fan base" similar to those wearing NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB Jerseys. Most of the folks I greet and ask where they train indicate they are big fans and their wife or family bought the shirt as a gift.

Osu!!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #119
FighterforLife
Senior K4L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarmello View Post
Osu!

I believe there were a number of "fantasy fighters" in the beginning of the MMA apparel craze, however, I believe that now it is more aimed at the "fan base" similar to those wearing NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB Jerseys. Most of the folks I greet and ask where they train indicate they are big fans and their wife or family bought the shirt as a gift.

Osu!!
how dare you inject RATIONALISM and understanding here? you clearly don't know what being a keyboard-warrior is all about.

honestly, I guess you're right. wearing a tap-out shirt is just like me wearing a football jersey (with the exception that no one thinks that i play for my supported team). i think my feeling comes from a sense of propriety, ya know? sort of like how no non-samurai were permitted to wear swords in the same way as the warrior caste.

but then, the world isn't run based on what I think.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #120
Dent
Senior Moderator

Osu!

Quote:
but then, the world isn't run based on what I think.
Sounds like there'd be a lot more running if it was!

Osu!