iconAll times are GMT. The time now is 09:41 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Kyokushin4life Trainings Technique Self-Defense Beyond Kicking and Punching

Old 05-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #41
sandman
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: WYKKO
sandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredInChina View Post
Another sure thing is that Singapore stats reflect a fairly even situation in the whole country

Osu!
All 693 square km of it

In all seriousness, your earlier point is taken - why is it that such an economically and industrially advanced country as ours would have such high rate of violent death?

But anyway, back to the thread topic. We are now going beyond kicking and punching...
Old 05-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #42
Okamido
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: BCKA / WKA
Okamido is a name known to allOkamido is a name known to allOkamido is a name known to allOkamido is a name known to allOkamido is a name known to allOkamido is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
What's the difference between martial art and combat sport in your opinion?

To me, uniforms and ranks don't add anything. Anyone can tell by looking at people what is their level of ability. And discipline is enforced by the instructor, not by the uniforms.

When I read karate forums, there are always so many threads about belts. It seems people are more interested in getting a new rank than improving themselves.
My personal take on the difference between a martial arts school and a combat-sports gym, is that a combat-sports gym has a total focus on competition, and more specifically training only the techniques allowed within the particular ruleset of that sport. This is usually found at most cage-fighting gyms or Thai-Kickboxing gyms. For me, martial arts classes should consist of self-defence training.

When I first starting teaching professionally as a martial arts instructor about 20 years ago, a Thai-Kickboxing champion trained by Master Toddy showed up to train in one of my classes. With his credentials, I would have thought that he would have had little interest in my session, but welcomed him. That night we were doing situation training for self-defence. The class was divided into groups of three. I then set up different scenarios on may encounter in a SD situation.

To keep it simply for the post, one of the setups was the person hitting the pads, the striker, stands facing someone that is holding the Thai-pads, (pretty standard at most Muaythai classes), and the third person was to hold a kickshield and stand behind the striker. Instead of working the Thai-pads with combinantions for 3 to 5 minutes, the striker was to explode with a set pattern of movements on the call of the trainer. The round would be a mere 30 seconds, however full-speed and full-power was to be used throughout. The combination was... A pre-emptive R.Punch to the Thai-Pad holder who was stood in front of the striker, then look over the right shoulder, at an attacker coming in to grab you from behind. As that person moves forward to attack you - perform a stepping back kick ( to the kick shield ), then turn back to face the original opponent. Forearm cover against a punch that they throw at you, then close the distance and elbow smash the pads ( would-be-face) twice. Then re-set, and go again, full-speed and full power!

The Muaythai Champion loved it, ( he trained with me for several months after that ). Now, with regards to your question, believe it or not - the MT Champ, could not perform a stepping back kick!!! The reason, simply becauses he never trained to use techniques that he would not perform in the ring, as your opponent, and only one at that never stands behind you during a Muaythai bout!

We were using Muaythai techniques, but training the style in a manner suited for martial arts / self-defence rather than just as a combat-sport.

Osu!

Last edited by Okamido; 05-01-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #43
DrPhil
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: n/a
DrPhil has a spectacular aura aboutDrPhil has a spectacular aura aboutDrPhil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dent View Post
Really? I am still surprised by how often the packaging is misleading.
I meant that if we look at people training (kata, sparring...), we can tell their level very fast. No need for belts for that.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #44
DrPhil
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: n/a
DrPhil has a spectacular aura aboutDrPhil has a spectacular aura aboutDrPhil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okamido View Post
My personal take on the difference between a martial arts school and a combat-sports gym, is that a combat-sports gym has a total focus on competition, and more specifically training only the techniques allowed within the particular ruleset of that sport. This is usually found at most cage-fighting gyms or Thai-Kickboxing gyms. For me, martial arts classes should consist of self-defence training.
Ok. So for you it's essentially a matter of syllabus (selfdefense vs sport fighting) rather than teaching methodes (uniform, belts...).

To me, the distinction is not so obvious.

For instance, people who train in combat-sport (judo, mma, muay thai...) develop self-defense skills as well. Whereas some martial arts, even though focus on self defense, are very inefficient at that.

Also, some martial arts have a focus on aesthetic which make them lean more toward art than sport.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #45
comadrealpha
New K4Ler

Org/Style: IKO Matsushima
comadrealpha is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okamido View Post
And which one you say is better? If you train just self defence you will not have the cardio and speed of a competitor. But You wil have (maybe) more weapons in a no-rule street fighting.

Can we say that one focus is more reliable for street than the other?

(Obviously all is in the fighter)

Old 05-05-2012, 05:46 AM   #46
homer_simpson
K4L Member

Org/Style: IKO1
homer_simpson will become famous soon enoughhomer_simpson will become famous soon enough
Kyokushin is my first real martial art, and BJJ is next. Overall, based on my limited exposure, I think it is good for stand-up folks to learn some grappling. It has been beneficial in my case. Sometimes you can quickly end a fight by applying a joint-lock without having to render your opponent bruised. Some locks can be applied while standing as well. You don't even have to bring the guy down to the floor ala BJJ in order to strangle him.

I first learned martial art because I wanted to learn self-defense. Although I am now grateful for everything that I have learned and my training has made me a much fitter person now, I have come to a realization that self-defense may require a slightly different set of skills. In my opinion, self-defense is about using one's head. Although a person may be extremely proficient in a bare-hand fighting, in an actual self-defense situation, s/he should find whatever available to him/her as a weapon. It is always better to be armed than unarmed. It is always better to scream and yell to get other people to help you, than to fight alone against the adversary. In essence, just like in a game of chess, it is all about using the available elements to work for you. Too often, we as martial artists tend to forget about this, and I am included.

I have been in trouble with the laws before. Thinking back, it would have been easier if I let the system works for me instead, rather than to act cocky and let ego gets in the way especially since I know how to fight. It would have been simpler to swallow my pride, back away, report to the police, and let the system handles it. This is the essence of self-defense. It's about using as many elements as possible to work against the other guy. So in reflection martial art may only be a small subset of self-defense.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #47
FredInChina
Apprentice

Org/Style: IOGKF,Kyokushin
FredInChina has disabled reputation
Welcome back Mr Homer Simpson, & thanks for this great post.
Repped!

Osu!
Old 05-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #48
SteveK
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: The SteveK Way
SteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud of
I echo Fred - Homer - good post and repped from me also
Old 05-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #49
slaine
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: kyokushin
slaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to allslaine is a name known to all
Unfortunately the law and the law enforcers in a lot of places don't work , especially in assaults your wasting your time even reporting them so it's up to to deal with things from altercation to aftermath .
Old 05-07-2012, 01:42 AM   #50
sandman
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: WYKKO
sandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond repute
Repped from me too Homer_Simpson! Welcome back
Old 05-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #51
homer_simpson
K4L Member

Org/Style: IKO1
homer_simpson will become famous soon enoughhomer_simpson will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the welcome back greetings, guys! Yeah, life has been busy lately. I hope everyone here is doing great.