iconAll times are GMT. The time now is 08:55 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
SKohai
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Kyokushin-IKO1
SKohai will become famous soon enoughSKohai will become famous soon enough
Belts or ranks used by Sosai Oyama

I am just curious to know what were the initial belt system in kyokushinkaikan when kyokushin was still in its infancy. Back in the early 60's when kyokushin was known by "oyama dojo", i am sure they didnt have all the different colors and stripes we have now.
In "this is karate", sosai wrote, that the first class (grade i believe) is 8th kyu which is a white belt, and after 3 months of training, one advance to the yellow belt, from there another year to green belt, and then brown and black follows.

I guess the orange and blue belt and all the different color stripes are a recent addition.

I also have reasons to bleieve that the first belt yellow mentioned in "this is karate"(which is now actually 3rd belt in the spectrum) was also a later addition in the belt spectrum, when kyokushin got a little more popular.

Anyone have any information regarding the rank system employed in the early kyokushinkaikan or "oyama dojo".
Old 05-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
comadrealpha
New K4Ler

Org/Style: IKO Matsushima
comadrealpha is on a distinguished road
How much time from green to brown then? I mean a decent black belt must train at least 6 years.

white to yellow - three months, another year to green... two years to brown and other two for black?
Old 05-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
Dent
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: IOGKF/ IKO 1
Dent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond repute
Osu!

Grading to Shodan could be done in a year. What does that mean for today's stretched timetables?

Osu!
Old 05-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
FredInChina
Apprentice

Org/Style: IOGKF,Kyokushin
FredInChina has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dent View Post
Osu!

Grading to Shodan could be done in a year. What does that mean for today's stretched timetables?

Osu!
People were a lot stronger "back in the days"... remember, there were no internet, sitcoms, i-pads & video games!
Everybody knows that!

Osu!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Dent
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: IOGKF/ IKO 1
Dent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond repute
Osu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredInChina View Post
People were a lot stronger "back in the days"... remember, there were no internet, sitcoms, i-pads & video games!
Everybody knows that!
Ah! So that's how and why they knew all the Bunkai!

Osu!
Old 05-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
Spirit

Org/Style: KDA
Spirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to behold
we had sitcoms fred....
3 stooges,

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredInChina View Post
Everybody knows that!

Osu!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
Chakuriki
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Oyama-ish
Chakuriki is a glorious beacon of lightChakuriki is a glorious beacon of lightChakuriki is a glorious beacon of lightChakuriki is a glorious beacon of lightChakuriki is a glorious beacon of light
In the early days....'72 belt ranks were as follows.....

White Blue Yellow Green Brown Black....
Old 05-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
ashiharakaicho
Advanced Shoshinsha

Org/Style: Ashihara Karate
ashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakuriki View Post
In the early days....'72 belt ranks were as follows.....
White Blue Yellow Green Brown Black....
Tadashi Nakamura, of Seido Juku states in his book he developed this belt system.

But in the sixties and maybe early seventies, they worked on white, green, brown then black.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
Chakuriki
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Oyama-ish
Chakuriki is a glorious beacon of lightChakuriki is a glorious beacon of lightChakuriki is a glorious beacon of lightChakuriki is a glorious beacon of lightChakuriki is a glorious beacon of light
Personally, I like less belt colors...
Old 05-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
Lowlander
K4L Member

Org/Style: Enshin
Lowlander will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakuriki View Post
Personally, I like less belt colors...
Osu... I agree, I honestly wouldn't mind simply adding stripes to the white belt until you make it to brown, add some stripes again until you get to black and then add stripes from there. The color thing isn't bad in my opinion, its there to gauge more visible process for those who feel they need it, and I've gotten used to and don't mind it, its kind of an expected default now. However I would welcome a simplified color system
Old 05-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #11
Karate4Life
Sweaty Dogi

Org/Style: Hands and feet
Karate4Life is a splendid one to beholdKarate4Life is a splendid one to beholdKarate4Life is a splendid one to beholdKarate4Life is a splendid one to beholdKarate4Life is a splendid one to beholdKarate4Life is a splendid one to beholdKarate4Life is a splendid one to behold
Does anybody have a clue why the colours differ from style to style? In Goju Ryu when we progress the colours become darker gradually: white, yellow, orange, green, blue, brown, black. I'd be curious to know what the background for colours in Kyokushin is?

OSU!
Christian
Old 06-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
Dobbersky
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: KokuTora Ashiha
Dobbersky is a jewel in the roughDobbersky is a jewel in the roughDobbersky is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate4Life View Post
Does anybody have a clue why the colours differ from style to style? In Goju Ryu when we progress the colours become darker gradually: white, yellow, orange, green, blue, brown, black. I'd be curious to know what the background for colours in Kyokushin is?

OSU!
Christian
OSU, I'm not too sure where the choice of belts comes from, toe it seems like personal choice of Sosai.

I love reading sites and forums where they give a philosophical explanation as to what the colours mean, you know what Master Ken would say about that LOL.

From what I have read, the colours went from light to dark as its easier to dye the belts this
way.

OSU!
Old 06-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #13
Bloke
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: n/a
Bloke is just really niceBloke is just really niceBloke is just really niceBloke is just really niceBloke is just really nice
My second time referring to Shahs site this weekend:

http://www.australiankyokushin.com/whycolours.shtml
Old 06-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #14
SteveK
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: The SteveK Way
SteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud ofSteveK has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowlander View Post
The color thing isn't bad in my opinion, its there to gauge more visible process for those who feel they need it, and I've gotten used to and don't mind it, its kind of an expected default now. However I would welcome a simplified color system
I think nowadays many more people need it and there is also a commercial interest in the belts colours and number of gradings etc