iconAll times are GMT. The time now is 10:57 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:13 PM   #1
BigAl

Org/Style: N/A
BigAl is a name known to allBigAl is a name known to allBigAl is a name known to allBigAl is a name known to allBigAl is a name known to allBigAl is a name known to all
"Harvey Dojo" -- Pittsburgh, PA

By request, I'll talk about my dojo. We currently learn out of my sempai's garage. About 3/4 of it is puzzle mats covered by a thin carpet, the other 1/4 has some weight machines, dumbbells, free weights, medicine balls, pads, a makiwara, and a shin conditioning pole (PVC pipe with duct tape and padding on it stuck in a tire with cement to stand up).

My instructor is Sempai Harvey Turner, who first got his shodan in the 80s from Shihan Ferrell (currently a nidan) and also has a background in Isshin-Ryu. There is also Sempai Yuki Noda, who received his shodan from Shihan Bobby Lowe (and is now currently a sandan) and also has a background in Shorin-Ryu.

Student-wise, there's only a handful of us, as often people say they'd like to check the place out but never do, or because Sempai doesn't want to teach them. His house, his rules.

Instruction-wise, best I've ever received and I can say it with 100% confidence. Every class I leave seeing something improve but knowing 5-10 more things that need to be improved.

For more information, contact me and I can pass along his contact info. Since it's his private email address, I don't want to display it out on the Internet so all the spam-bots and whatnots will pick it up.

If you have any questions on weight training, feel free to PM me. I don't know everything, but I'll be glad to help the best I can.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:34 AM   #2
Kurisu
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Shotput
Kurisu is on a distinguished road
Sensei Yuki is great. I'm envious that you get to train with him on a consistant basis!
Old 03-08-2007, 03:36 AM   #3
BigAl

BigAl is a name known to allBigAl is a name known to allBigAl is a name known to allBigAl is a name known to allBigAl is a name known to allBigAl is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
Sensei Yuki is great. I'm envious that you get to train with him on a consistant basis!
The stuff he can teach us is amazing. It seems a lot of people know who he is, too Now if only I can get more money for gas to get my butt out there more often.

Where did you meet him?

If you have any questions on weight training, feel free to PM me. I don't know everything, but I'll be glad to help the best I can.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:36 AM   #4
smoothsake

Org/Style: IKO1
smoothsake is a splendid one to beholdsmoothsake is a splendid one to beholdsmoothsake is a splendid one to beholdsmoothsake is a splendid one to beholdsmoothsake is a splendid one to beholdsmoothsake is a splendid one to beholdsmoothsake is a splendid one to behold
BigAl,

Will you be posting pictures to show off your dojo?
Old 03-08-2007, 08:44 AM   #5
Kurisu
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Shotput
Kurisu is on a distinguished road
Al, I saw him on Monday.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:35 AM   #6
BigAl

Smoothsake: As soon as I can upload some, sure

Kurisu: At Harvey's place? Or is he visiting you guys?

Old 03-30-2007, 11:47 AM   #7
Spirit

Org/Style: KDA
Spirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
My instructor is Sempai Harvey Turner, who first got his shodan in the 80s from Shihan Ferrell (currently a nidan) and also has a background in Isshin-Ryu.
I have trained with Harvey, he came to our (instructors) dojo a few times with Shihan Farrell back in the 80's...
Old 04-01-2007, 03:12 AM   #8
BigAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jap man View Post
I have trained with Harvey, he came to our (instructors) dojo a few times with Shihan Farrell back in the 80's...
Osu, nice to know Shihan Farrell left for several years to Texas (I believe) so from all that time Harvey just kept training. He received his nidan finally last year, so for about a decade he was just a shodan. He's a great instructor and still has very strong kumite skills. He's with Phoenix Karatedo now under Shihan Soller.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:18 AM   #9
BigAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothsake View Post
BigAl,

Will you be posting pictures to show off your dojo?
Most of the pictures I have are of training so they don't really show off the dojo too much but here's a few old ones.

Last edited by BigAl; 04-01-2007 at 03:20 AM.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:48 AM   #10
Spirit

Org/Style: KDA
Spirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to behold
Al,
Shihan Farrell is back in PA now.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:09 PM   #11
kyofighter
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: IFK
kyofighter has a spectacular aura aboutkyofighter has a spectacular aura about
Great pics Al , strong group man.
Train Hard !
Osu !
Old 04-01-2007, 02:13 PM   #12
BigAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jap man View Post
Al,
Shihan Farrell is back in PA now.
He actually came to Harvey's dojo once or twice when I was there. He's an incredible guy, he can see exactly what you're doing wrong, fix it, and have you doing it correctly within an extremely short time.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:15 PM   #13
BigAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyofighter View Post
Great pics Al , strong group man.
Train Hard !
Osu !
Thanks kyofighter, OSU!

Old 02-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #14
Kawika
New K4Ler

Org/Style: n/a
Kawika is on a distinguished road
Please help me contact Yuki Noda

I train at the Kyokushin dojo in Honolulu and am very fortunate that Yuki Noda is both my esteemed senpai and my good friend. I will be traveling to the Bay Area in two weeks and hope to hook up with him. Due to a Category Five hard drive crash I have lost his contact info. If any of you have his e-mail addy and/or his cell phone number I would be most grateful if you could send it to me at dmcd50 @ hawaii.rr.com. Thank you.

Osu!

Since I am a newcomer to this forum I am unable to post pictures. Here is a link to a photo of Noda taken a couple of years ago at my home. Just delete the X and paste the resultant URL to your browser. Should work.
httpX://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/family/fr/websize/Yuki%20Noda.jpg
Old 02-23-2009, 09:26 PM   #15
Dent
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: IOGKF/ IKO 1
Dent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond repute
Osu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
I train at the Kyokushin dojo in Honolulu and am very fortunate that Yuki Noda is both my esteemed senpai and my good friend. I will be traveling to the Bay Area in two weeks and hope to hook up with him. Due to a Category Five hard drive crash I have lost his contact info. If any of you have his e-mail addy and/or his cell phone number I would be most grateful if you could send it to me at dmcd50 @ hawaii.rr.com. Thank you.

Osu!
Welcome to the Forum! Please stop by the Introductions section and tell us about yourself so that we can better welcome you.

Osu!
Old 02-23-2009, 10:38 PM   #16
BigAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post

Osu!

Since I am a newcomer to this forum I am unable to post pictures. Here is a link to a photo of Noda taken a couple of years ago at my home. Just delete the X and paste the resultant URL to your browser. Should work.
httpX://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/family/fr/websize/Yuki%20Noda.jpg
I will forward this message to him, he should be able to get in touch with you.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:59 AM   #17
BigAl

Let me know how the training goes, Kawika, and tell Yuki I said hello!