Kyokushin4Life has an excellent spam system. K4L Bot runs around all the time, checking for spam and promptly lets us know. However, some times spam slips through, and is approved as real posts. Some times the spammers are clever bots (like Dent), other times they're not so clever humans. The latter happened today, and as a result, I'm going to teach you the valuable lessons of recognizing spam and how to react.
Signs that suggest spam:
- Lots of bogus URLs, often offering cheap cell phones.
- Many of the posts are without content or make little sense, and are copied to other threads in order to bump the post count.
- The users location, rank and organization are most times either empty, or listed as "n/a".
- The usernames are not very imaginative - a combination of a word or name and random numbers are common (like "kent41" or "cell4u" - see your textbook for more examples).
- The language skills are "always" appalling.
Now we have an idea of how to recognize spam, but how to properly handle it? Stay tuned!
A little background info:
Some times, the posts can be rather witty, and it's tempting to reply with a sarcastic remark. Don't do this. If you suspect you have come across some spam, you might think it's a good idea to show off your amazing observation skills by replying to the thread and point it out. Don't do this either. Both of these things makes it harder for your friendly mod team to restore order, because it leaves a lot of senseless posts, that needs manual deletion, rather than just automagically delete all by said user. This stresses the mod out, and in the chaos, he might get a little trigger happy and confuse a legit poster with a dirty spammer - and we don't want that happening, do we? Yeah, thought so.
If you come across a spammer, here is what you do.
- Do not reply to the post. This will only burden and confuse the mod.
- Run the post through your personal spam filter. Could this be a spammer, or perhaps just a confused soul in need of some guidance and a dictionary?
- Report the post. There's a button near every post, that lets you report this post. This will dispatch your friendly moderator team, and they will do that thing they do. Unsure, or still can't find the button? PM a moderator of your choice.
Please take notes. These three steps are vital to success! Properly handling of spam will be rewarded with pies!*
You can use the same approach for trolling as with spam. No need to feed the trolls - simply report them, take a relaxing cup of chai tea, and let the moderators handle the dirty work. K4L'ing has never been easier!
*The pies may not be actual pies.