iconAll times are GMT. The time now is 09:32 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
bennosuke
New K4Ler

Org/Style: n/a
bennosuke is on a distinguished road
Seido Juku Karate

OSU!

So it looks like I will be starting Seido juku karate, after having practiced some Kyokushin and Enshin as a child. I have read that Seido Juku is slightly modified. Does anyone have any experience with this martial art, and would be willing to elucidate how it differs?
Old 07-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
MilkManX
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Enshin
MilkManX is just really niceMilkManX is just really niceMilkManX is just really niceMilkManX is just really niceMilkManX is just really nice
I have no real knowledge but I am sure there are some here that can tell you more. Good training to you.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
netsecure
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Shidokan Karate
netsecure will become famous soon enough
I think seido doesnt emphasize fighting as much as kyokushin and its offshoot does but concentrates more on traditional and zen aspects. There is a dojo of siedo near my house and i saw some classes. They did lots of meditation and katas there.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
meguro
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Keyboard Jutsu
meguro has a reputation beyond reputemeguro has a reputation beyond reputemeguro has a reputation beyond reputemeguro has a reputation beyond reputemeguro has a reputation beyond reputemeguro has a reputation beyond reputemeguro has a reputation beyond reputemeguro has a reputation beyond reputemeguro has a reputation beyond reputemeguro has a reputation beyond reputemeguro has a reputation beyond repute
Seido Juku, although it has its roots in Kyokushin, is not knockdown karate. There is no kicking below the waist. Contact is light. In many respects, Nakamura Kaicho empasized the Shotokan aspects of Kyokushin. If you are keen on fighting knockdown, note that Seido Juku will be very much like Shotokan and will therefore disappoint you. However, if knockdown rules are of no importance to you, you will find many things to like about Seido Juku.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:27 AM   #5
bennosuke
New K4Ler

Meguro,

That is disappointing to hear. The only two schools in the area are seido juku schools (I'm moving to Albany). I was hoping to continue practicing knock down karate. I will still go visit both dojo's incase I find them appealing. Thank you for the honest answer.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
Dent
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: IOGKF/ IKO 1
Dent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond repute
Osu!

There is a small group of dedicated Knockdown fighters at the Seido Honbu. I was able to meet and interact with them at Shurenkan's last event.

They were strong, capable and if I hadn't been told otherwise, I would have thought that they only practiced Knockdown at their Dojo. I do believe they only have Dan grades practicing with them though.

Osu!
Old 07-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
jcarmello
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Hwe Dup Bap
jcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dent View Post
Osu!

There is a small group of dedicated Knockdown fighters at the Seido Honbu. I was able to meet and interact with them at Shurenkan's last event.

They were strong, capable and if I hadn't been told otherwise, I would have thought that they only practiced Knockdown at their Dojo. I do believe they only have Dan grades practicing with them though.

Osu!
My understanding of the few Seido dojos I have visited as well as the SeidokA I have spoken with, is that a few do participate in semi/full contact tournaments and others participate in TangSooDo and TaeKwonDo tournaments.

A former instructor at the TKD school my children went to was a TSD Blue/ Seido /Black belt. And had participated knockdown tournaments for years. I knew the dojo SEIDO he trained at prior to be an instructor at the TKD school and they trained very hard. The school went under some years ago, but he brought with him a desire to have the TKD students compete in Semi contact, but the Grand Master did not approve and would not do it.

Another school I visited some years back did not participate in any major tournaments at all but trained very hard non the less!

My thought on this is to inquire with the Sensei and go from there. At least the syllabus is similar enough to Kyokushin to get a foot hold and if the school has no full contact provisions keep looking. But for now, in the Albany area there are only MMA gym option, which can be very good as well!

Osu!!
Old 07-24-2010, 05:32 PM   #8
bennosuke
New K4Ler

In conversing with the dojos by email. They both hinted at the fact that kumite either was not as important or was practiced with "less intensity".

I've noticed that there are a lot of Muay Thai gyms in the area. I realize that those may be decent alternatives if I find I won't enjoy practice at either of the seido dojos. However, I am hopeful that one of the dojos is similar to the karate I have learned.

Last edited by bennosuke; 07-24-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
Havamal
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: .
Havamal has a spectacular aura aboutHavamal has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Seido

Quote:
Originally Posted by meguro View Post
Seido Juku, although it has its roots in Kyokushin, is not knockdown karate. There is no kicking below the waist. Contact is light. In many respects, Nakamura Kaicho empasized the Shotokan aspects of Kyokushin. If you are keen on fighting knockdown, note that Seido Juku will be very much like Shotokan and will therefore disappoint you. However, if knockdown rules are of no importance to you, you will find many things to like about Seido Juku.
Seido people are fine, but my take is that Seido focus on Seido more than karate.

Pros:
rigorous (great for fitness)
safe
family friendly
really nice, interesting, people
1 to 2 years b/f sparring (good for beginners)

Cons:
"strict" philosophy
more art and sport than martial.
more "Shotokan" like, not much Okinawan-like.
too frequent bowing.
too many multiple kicks standing on one leg (exposed to charge, leg kicks)
no head contact, not even "controlled" with hand or feet
no kicks to thighs
1 to 2 years b/f sparring (not good for advanced beginners)
not much contact (reminded of MilkManX's
"It's not about how hard you can hit,
it's about how hard you can get hit
and keep moving forward!")

Last edited by Havamal; 07-29-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
Havamal
Senior K4L Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Osu!

Osu!
...that's a good observation. the Seido dans are willing, tough, and capable to play knockdown sparring if the student's ready for that level of speed and contact
Old 07-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
netsecure
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Shidokan Karate
netsecure will become famous soon enough
I wonder why tadashi nakamura with a full contact background switched over to a non contact and sport style karate.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #12
jcarmello
Senior K4L Member

jcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant future
Purely speculative.....but I wonder if his landing in Brooklyn amongst the culturally diverse population there caused his decision. He may have found that young impressionable people in the area were taking the hard lessons of kyokushin and applying it as an abomination to their fellow man. There were hard days and tough living in even the best of neighbor hoods in NYC when he arrived.

Toning Seido down to a Sport based art with an emphasis on strong ethical convictions, may have also been a way for him to take the greater lessons of Kyokushin away from those who could not manage to behave.

Just wondering.........
Old 07-29-2010, 07:22 PM   #13
Moichido
K4L Member

Org/Style: Seido Juku
Moichido has a spectacular aura aboutMoichido has a spectacular aura about
Osu everyone,
It was a pleasure meeting you earlier this year, Dent. I train at Seido Juku Honbu in NYC and I thought I could perhaps explain more about Seido. Yes, I would have to agree that most Seido Dojo's emphasize kumite less when compared with Kyokushin or other similar schools. Somewhere in the late 80's or early 90's point sparring (like clicker rules) and fighting similar to american kickboxing (which to me means no low kicks and no face punching, but heavy contact and continuous action - apologies if I am mistaken) began to be the primary kumite training for us in the NYC area. Part of the reason behind this was Kaicho Nakamura's desire that people from across the spectrum of ability could train. This has lead to strong blind, deaf, and young adult programs today. That being said, there is still a solid group of knockdown fighters, including myself, that train regularly and compete from time to time. I should point out though, you will not find knockdown training in all Seido dojos. As you can imagine, dojos reflect the head sensei and so some dojos will only do point sparring, while some will do everything from points to knockdown. Relative to point sparring, knockdown fighting in the NYC Honbu actually seems to be gaining ground again lately (happily so, in my opinion).

Osu.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #14
jcarmello
Senior K4L Member

Moichido

Thank you for stepping in and presenting your experience on Seido!! Repped!!
Old 07-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #15
bennosuke
New K4Ler

Osu everyone,

Thank you all for the replies. Because of the diversity of training styles amongst Seido dojos, and my interest in continuing knock down style karate training, I believe I will have to wait till I have visited the two dojos in Albany. I have spoken, via email, with contacts at both schools and am confident that they are both great dojos. I am very hopeful that one of the dojos will provide an atmosphere and learning experience that suits me. If not, I will probably look elsewhere for training. Please let me know if you know of any other knockdown style karate dojos in the Albany/Capitol District area (I have a car and will be able to drive some distance assuming it is not too impractical).
Old 07-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #16
Dent
Senior Moderator

Dent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond repute
Osu!

Thanks for the additional info, Moichido!

When will we be seeing you again? Any events on the near horizon?

Osu!
Old 07-30-2010, 12:46 AM   #17
Havamal
Senior K4L Member

marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsecure View Post
I wonder why tadashi nakamura with a full contact background switched over to a non contact and sport style karate.
marketing, to appeal to a wider audience...the whole family.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:38 AM   #18
Moichido
K4L Member

Org/Style: Seido Juku
Moichido has a spectacular aura aboutMoichido has a spectacular aura about
Osu,
Always keeping my ears to the ground for similar events, Dent. If you hear of any, please spread the word. There are some tournaments in October that are also a possibility. Hope your training is going well Dent! Maybe see you Sept. 18th?

Osu!
Old 07-30-2010, 05:19 AM   #19
Dent
Senior Moderator

Osu!

I'll be there on the 18th! Looking forward to it!

Osu!
Old 07-30-2010, 08:28 AM   #20
FredInChina
Apprentice

Org/Style: IOGKF,Kyokushin
FredInChina has disabled reputation
Quote:
(...) I'll be there on the 18th! Looking forward to it!
Safe to say I'll be there too...
Osu!