iconAll times are GMT. The time now is 03:02 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Kyokushin4life General Discussion Knockdown Karate Kyokushin Karate Where in the world is Willie Williams?

Old 06-29-2006, 03:12 PM   #1
anarki13
K4L Member

Org/Style: WKO
anarki13 is on a distinguished road
Where in the world is Willie Williams?

I once searched for this great fighter and could only find a little quote about him going off to play in PRIDE tournaments in japan.. i visited the site two months later and even that was gone...

so, if anyone knows, please help!

Osu.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:30 AM   #2
spanky11
Senior K4L Member

spanky11 is on a distinguished road
Not too sure where is at...

He must be at least 55 years old these days, so I'd be surprised to see if he went in the ring again.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:07 PM   #3
anarki13
K4L Member

Org/Style: WKO
anarki13 is on a distinguished road
hmmm...thanx! i'll keep looking!
Old 07-13-2006, 07:05 PM   #4
Superfoot
New K4Ler

Org/Style: n/a
Superfoot is on a distinguished road
Willie Williams, after leaving Kyokushin competition, made appearances in the RINGS fight promotion, usually in "worked" matches, where the outcome was predetermined. He also toured with several pro wrestling industries, most notably the UWFi. After that, not much has been heard of him. He is also a secret character in the video game "Tekken", under the name "Bear Killer" Willy B Williams.

Its also intersting to note that, according to this link:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~YF7M-ON/ekakunen.html

"Kyokushin Kaikan suspended the North American branch boss Shigeru Oyama and expelled Willie Williams"

This decision came about as a result of Williams' participation in a challenge match with Antionio Inoki. The math itself was declared a draw, due to the fact that the doctor, upon finding that Inoki had a broken rib, and Williams a broken arm, stopped the match.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
Lonewolf
Senior K4L Member

Lonewolf is a jewel in the roughLonewolf is a jewel in the roughLonewolf is a jewel in the roughLonewolf is a jewel in the rough
Osu! There is a poster on the Sherdog message board with questions about Willie Williams. If he wants to know anything, send me a private email and I will respond. Also, does anyone know which version of the video game "TEKKEN" that the Willie B. Williams character is included in? That was very interesting to hear, and I'm sure Sensei will get a kick out of hearing about this. Osu!
Old 06-25-2008, 05:28 PM   #6
kakatootoshi
良いお年を!

Org/Style: fumei
kakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond repute
Dear Lonewolf,
No idea of a character in Tekken who is modelled after Willie Williams Sensei, but according to the descriptions, a character "Paul Phoenix" looked up to Williams Sensei when he was small and became interested in martial arts. Sorry I do not know much about this game, but I am sure some game freaks here may help.

OSU!
Old 10-17-2012, 03:17 AM   #7
Lonewolf
Senior K4L Member

Lonewolf is a jewel in the roughLonewolf is a jewel in the roughLonewolf is a jewel in the roughLonewolf is a jewel in the rough
Osu! Update about Sensei Willie Williams. I recently visited my good friend Sensei Willie Williams(Kamau Okbar) after not seeing him for about 5 years. Sensei Willie is doing fine and in good health (He has completely recovered from the near fatal traffic accident that he was in a few years ago. He was hit by a large truck while riding his bicycle.) I mentioned to him that there were a few people on various martial arts forums asking about his whereabouts and what he is doing these days. Sensei Willie had no idea about any of this as he does not like alot of modern technology (computers, TVs, cell phones, etc.). Sensei feels that such techology is causing alot of people to lose that all important "human contact" in their daily lives. He lives a very simple, natural, spiritual type of life that keeps him in tune with nature, similiar to the way Budo-Ka(Martial Artists) lived in the past.

Sensei was very surprised when I told him about peoples' interest in him. He asked me to give this update about him and I agreed to do so. I am just trying to keep my word to him in doing so here. I have been his close friend for 37 years and he is like a brother to me. Here is the update:

"Sensei Willie Williams wants to be known in the martial arts world as "Sensei Kamau Okbar", which is his legal name now for over 30 years. He says if you find Kamau Okbar, you will also find Willie Williams. He is proud of all the accomplishments under the name "Willie Williams" and recognizes that, but he now wants the world to know him as Kamau Okbar, the Sensei(Teacher) and the man. He told me that the fighter is no more, he now wants to be recognized as a Sensei(Teacher) of the martial arts. Sensei Okbar has created his own style of martial arts and is now concentrating on teaching the youth for the next generation. This new style is based on his experience in Kyokushin, World Oyama, Shin Kakuto Jitsu, and Thailand's Muay-Thai. Sensei Okbar is in a very unique position to be able to create this very different and efficient combat style. (I will go into more detail in a future thread that will focus on Sensei's new style, it's name, training regimen, and philosophy). Sensei wanted me to tell everyone that he has rededicated his life to the Asian martial arts and is very excited by the prospects of the future. Sensei is more relaxed and focused now more than he has been in over 20 years.

Sensei Okbar is again training hard himself and is in incredible shape for a 61 year old man (He looks much younger in person than his actual age). For example, Sensei Okbar is an avid bicycle rider for many years now (He was even seen in the documentary movie "The Stongest Karate aka Fighting Black Kings" riding his bicycle as part of his training in the early 1970's). Sensei Okbar rode his bike over 80 miles in one day just a couple of weeks ago. He is also doing weight training and other really tough calisthenics as a part of his daily training. Sensei still has incredible speed and flexible movements, in addition to the power that he is famous for. There are many would be students who are looking forward to training under him after his new Dojo is open.

Sensei Okbar wants to give back to Kyokushin some of the great things he has received as a result of his many years of training & experience. He now feels the time is right. I could feel his strong spirit and enthusiasm for training and I have not seen him like this for years. He explained to me that before he only wanted to concentrate on his "fighting career" and he had no real interest in teaching at that time. Sensei now wants to teach and pass on his vast knowledge and fighting techniques to the next generation. Sensei's techniques are "combat tested" from his many years of fighting on the mat and in the ring. He is very serious about this. I am very happy for him and looking forward to being a part of things".

I will keep everyone posted on Sensei Okbar's latest activities as they unfold. He asked me to do this for him and I am honored to be able to do so.

Osu!

Last edited by Lonewolf; 10-17-2012 at 03:21 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:59 AM   #8
jcarmello
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Hwe Dup Bap
jcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant future
Osu!

Lonewolf, Repped!!! Thank you very, very much for this update.

Osu!!
Old 10-17-2012, 04:33 AM   #9
pommiewog
K4L Member

Org/Style: Kyokushin
pommiewog is a jewel in the roughpommiewog is a jewel in the roughpommiewog is a jewel in the roughpommiewog is a jewel in the rough
Osu also repp'd!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-17-2012, 05:58 AM   #10
kanku
member k4l drinking club

Org/Style: IKKU
kanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant future
Repped!! Just fantastic, for me this just about sums up what K4L is all about, getting news from around the world from "the horses mouth" Thank you!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #11
hokuto12
Senior K4L Member

hokuto12 has a spectacular aura abouthokuto12 has a spectacular aura about
Osu thanks for the update.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #12
Lonewolf
Senior K4L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanku View Post
Repped!! Just fantastic, for me this just about sums up what K4L is all about, getting news from around the world from "the horses mouth" Thank you!
Osu! It is my pleasure to be able to report this positive news on my friend, Sensei Kamau Okbar. He is so talented that I was hoping for years that he would decide to train people again and share his knowledge with interested students. I often thought what a waste it would be if he never passed on his skills and knowledge to the next generation. He has some really great fighting techniques and strategies.

I will keep everyone posted on the developments of his new style in the next coming months. From what he demonstrated for me, it looks very interesting and is based on alot of "Tai Sabaki" type movements using various angles and positioning. It reminds me somewhat of Ashihara or Enshin style Karate a little bit. I told him that, but he was not aware about the principles of those two styles.(When Sensei Okbar trained with Mr. Joko Ninomiya, Ninomiya was still in Kyokushin training under Shihan Shigeru Oyama in New York in the 70's). Sensei has seen Seidokaikan and even fought against some of their top fighters, but Seidokaikan is still somewhat different from Ashihara or Enshin. It was so cool the way I did a straight punch at Sensei and he almost seemed to disappear as he got around to my back side that fast and hit me in the ribs. That's scary the way such a big man can move that fast and smoothly with agility. Very dangerous stuff.

Osu!
Old 10-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #13
Chakuriki
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Oyama-ish
Chakuriki is a glorious beacon of lightChakuriki is a glorious beacon of lightChakuriki is a glorious beacon of lightChakuriki is a glorious beacon of lightChakuriki is a glorious beacon of light
What is he going to call his new style?

Last edited by Chakuriki; 10-17-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Kanku finding my spelling error
Old 10-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
kanku
member k4l drinking club

Org/Style: IKKU
kanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakuriki View Post
Shat is he going to call his new style?
It doesn`t sound that bad!
Old 10-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #15
MilkManX
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Enshin
MilkManX is just really niceMilkManX is just really niceMilkManX is just really niceMilkManX is just really niceMilkManX is just really nice
Osu!

I am glad he is doing well. I train under Ralph Rhoads who use to train with Willie Williams back in the Kyokushin days under Shigeru Oyama in NY.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #16
JamesD25
K4L Member

Org/Style: OKKU
JamesD25 has a spectacular aura aboutJamesD25 has a spectacular aura aboutJamesD25 has a spectacular aura about
Where is he teaching at? I can't find anything online.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #17
sandman
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: WYKKO
sandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Lonewolf! Thanks for the update - repped!
Old 10-19-2012, 01:00 AM   #18
Lonewolf
Senior K4L Member

Osu! I will give an update about Sensei Okbar(aka Willie Williams) new style in a few weeks. He did not go into alot of detail about it when I spoke with him last week. I want to make sure I get the facts straight about this style before posting any information here on this forum. I can tell you that he is very excited and motivated by the way things are going so far and I am just happy that he will be involved in martial arts again, on any level. His life took a turn for the worse for awhile there and now things are looking up for him. The hardships and the obstacles this man has gone through would have completely crushed or defeated a lesser man. I am very proud of him and admire his spirit and determination very much. He is a great Teacher and a friend to me.

I will give another update in a few weeks.

Osu!
Old 10-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #19
Dent
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: IOGKF/ IKO 1
Dent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond repute
Osu!

Thanks for the extensive update, Lonewolf! Repped!.

Osu!
Old 10-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #20
Moichido
K4L Member

Org/Style: Seido Juku
Moichido has a spectacular aura aboutMoichido has a spectacular aura about
Osu - this is all very exciting news. Thank you Lonewolf!