iconAll times are GMT. The time now is 01:34 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:26 AM   #1
ryan213
New K4Ler

Org/Style: n/a
ryan213 is on a distinguished road
Kyokushin training and questions

Hello again,

What is the average class of Kyokushin like? What is the training like?
do you practice full contact sparring when not in tournament? What is the sparring like? Does it consist of punches to the head? Has anybody here (who trains in Kyokushin) had to defend themselves on the street? How did it go?
I have heard many people bag Kyokushin because they dont allow punches to the face.. and that it teaches bad habbits for real life defense.. I don't believe this personally, but I would like to hear what you have to say about it.
About the real life defense, arent you most likley to be punched at the head? If so, how does Kyokushin prepare you for this?
From what I have seen the Kyokushin guys are amazing and extremely strong, I imagine that they would have all the tools/heart needed to consistantly defeat a one off attacker.
The next question is a hypothetical, I don't see it happening to me any time soon : How does a Kyokushin student defend against weapons? In particular a knife... ?

Thankyou.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:56 PM   #2
Bloke
Senior Moderator

Bloke is just really niceBloke is just really niceBloke is just really niceBloke is just really niceBloke is just really nice
Woah thats a lot of questions. Welcome to the forum - I hope we can help.

Kyokushin classes will vary depending on the needs of the student. Sometimes it will be all Kihon and Kata and others it will be sparring and bagwork.

As for the lack of face punches - well I have heard that before and that is just one ruleset. I dont think that it teaches bad habits. I worked as a doorman and got in a few scrapes but never once did I think "I cant punch him in the head" and I suspect that it will be the same for most people. In my dojo we also fight clicker but that doesnt mean I dont put the punches in when I fight knockdown. We train headpunches but dont use them in one particular set of circumstances.

As far as defence goes yes you are likely to get punched in the head and that is the argument used by people who complain about the lack of headpunches in knockdown. However you are also likely to have someone grab you, so should that be included - they will push you, should that be included, they may use a bottle or a knife (which is happening more and more) so should we include that? Its where Soasi decided to draw the line - its not perfect but no Martial Art is a true representation of what can happen in a real life situation and that is a fact that the critics of knockdown tend to forget or worse ignore.

Apologies for the mini rant there.

Defence against a Knife? Too many situations and too many variables to give you a straight answer. The short answer - run as fast as you can. Remember with a knife attack if someone pulls a knife they are probably adept or stupid and both are dangerous. A knife makes no noise and therefore an attacker may be more willing to use it as little or no attention will be drawn to the attack. And even if you do defend against it successfully (ie you dont get killed) you are going to be very lucky not to get cut.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
ryan213
New K4Ler

ryan213 is on a distinguished road
Ok, some very logical and interesting answers there. My father was born and spent the first 18 years of his life living in Falls Rd. Belfast btw ...

Now, if I have your attention I would like to ask one other thing..

What are the benefits of Kyokushin for self defense that either lack or are perhaps non-existant in other styles (Karate or otherwise)?

I mean, what are the Pros as opposed to the Cons? What is Kyokushin's strengths? And what are the things which make you confident that Kyokushin is right for you, and (if you believe so) others who are interested in Martial Arts, especially for self defense?

Thanks Bloke
Old 07-26-2006, 01:48 PM   #4
Bloke
Senior Moderator

Bloke is just really niceBloke is just really niceBloke is just really niceBloke is just really niceBloke is just really nice
Ryan213

Sorry for the delay in replying. To be completley honest Im not sure I have an answer on the self defence question. I cant really say that we are better for self defence than another style without knowing more about the other style. I hope that makes sense.

As for whether or not Kyokushin is right for someone - well I have seen big and small, skinny and stocky come and train and it seems to suit all sorts. I worked as a doorman for a couple of years when I was younger and was able to defend myself using Kyokushin (and common sense) and I have been at this for more than twenty years now so it must be right for me.

The only real way to know if something is right for you is to try it. I could tell you Kyokushin is right for you but I cant really tell without seeing you or training with you.

I hope this makes sense to you.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
Tay
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: BKK (IFK)
Tay is just really niceTay is just really niceTay is just really niceTay is just really nice
ryan213 it seems to me that you're looking for real self defense training. (at least your questions seem to go that way), in that case I suggest you check out Krav Maga. That's the self defense trained by the Israeli Special Forces, the French counter-terrorism unit, etc.
You get taught how to defend yourself against armed attackers for example.
Kyokushin isn't really a self defense Martial Art, even though it can be used for that as well, but the training isn't focusing on modern street self defense that much. See it more as a full contact Martial Art / Sport.

Kyokushin will make you tough, fit, sharp, and teach you a great set of fighting and defense technics as well as discipline, and some other values.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
polarbearfighter
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: WKO
polarbearfighter is a glorious beacon of lightpolarbearfighter is a glorious beacon of lightpolarbearfighter is a glorious beacon of lightpolarbearfighter is a glorious beacon of lightpolarbearfighter is a glorious beacon of lightpolarbearfighter is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay View Post
ryan213 it seems to me that you're looking for real self defense training. (at least your questions seem to go that way), in that case I suggest you check out Krav Maga. That's the self defense trained by the Israeli Special Forces, the French counter-terrorism unit, etc.
You get taught how to defend yourself against armed attackers for example.
Kyokushin isn't really a self defense Martial Art, even though it can be used for that as well, but the training isn't focusing on modern street self defense that much. See it more as a full contact Martial Art / Sport.

Kyokushin will make you tough, fit, sharp, and teach you a great set of fighting and defense technics as well as discipline, and some other values.
Tay, it seems to me that you perhaps did not notice that this thread is 5 years old.

It's a fine answer you gave though, and could maybe be of use to someone else who stumbles upon this thread some time. Perhaps after 5 more years?

...This makes me wonder where Ryan213 is today and what training experiences he's had. He could even possibly be a black belt now.

Last edited by polarbearfighter; 07-29-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
Tay
Senior K4L Member

Tay is just really niceTay is just really niceTay is just really niceTay is just really nice
woups, yep didn't pay attention to the year, I saw 26 July :P
oh well, it seems that very similar questions are being asked sometimes
Old 08-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #8
Dent
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: IOGKF/ IKO 1
Dent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond repute
Osu!

Krav Maga is not all taught the same way to all people. Just as there is Karate and Karate, and even Kyokushin and Kyokushin, I've seen some real mickey mouse stuff pass as KM.

Osu!
Old 08-03-2011, 11:23 PM   #9
powerof0ne
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: KSK
powerof0ne has much to be proud ofpowerof0ne has much to be proud ofpowerof0ne has much to be proud ofpowerof0ne has much to be proud ofpowerof0ne has much to be proud ofpowerof0ne has much to be proud ofpowerof0ne has much to be proud ofpowerof0ne has much to be proud ofpowerof0ne has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dent View Post
Osu!

Krav Maga is not all taught the same way to all people. Just as there is Karate and Karate, and even Kyokushin and Kyokushin, I've seen some real mickey mouse stuff pass as KM.

Osu!
Very true, I think in the USA you're probably more fortunate to at least a little bit of legit KM, however, I'm just guessing. Here in the PNW area of the USA, I have yet to see what I consider real KM! I haven't really tried ahrd to seek it out, though..but the schools I've seen that claim to teach KM is only I'd suggest for my enemies to train in .
Osu!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #10
Tay
Senior K4L Member

Quote:
Osu!

Osu!
very true.

I'll talk as to what I plan to do, not saying it's the best, but I'm thinking about sticking to kyokushin and maybe sometimes have a class of krav maga now and then just because I find interesting to learn for example how to attack the most vulnerable parts of the body such as eyes, throat, groin, etc. which aren't allowed in kyokushin kumite, or defend myself against more than 1 attacker
so I see krav maga as a complement to kyokushin for street situations purposes.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #11
Dent
Senior Moderator

Dent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond repute
Osu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay View Post
I find interesting to learn for example how to attack the most vulnerable parts of the body such as eyes, throat, groin, etc. which aren't allowed in kyokushin kumite, or defend myself against more than 1 attacker
so I see krav maga as a complement to kyokushin for street situations purposes.
If that isn't being covered in your KK class, I'm a little saddened to hear it.

Osu!
Old 08-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
Spirit

Org/Style: KDA
Spirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Osu!

Osu!
Lots of Cert classes out their for instructors to go to and then take back and teach it only after 1 class & 2-4 hours...
KM has become (sadly) a money making thing for many dojo's....
To bad too.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #13
senshido
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: IKKU
senshido is a splendid one to beholdsenshido is a splendid one to beholdsenshido is a splendid one to beholdsenshido is a splendid one to beholdsenshido is a splendid one to beholdsenshido is a splendid one to beholdsenshido is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Osu!

If that isn't being covered in your KK class, I'm a little saddened to hear it.

Osu!
I'm with you Dent... I cant believe a class that would call themselves Kyokushin is not teaching that...

maybe the same class doesnt teach face punches?
Old 08-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #14
Dent
Senior Moderator

Osu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by senshido View Post
maybe the same class doesnt teach face punches?
You're keeeling me, Senshido!

Osu!