iconAll times are GMT. The time now is 10:09 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:20 AM   #1
Sonik
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Freelance
Sonik is on a distinguished road
All Styles Full Contact Karate Open

Is there any tournament of this kind in Japan? I mean a tournament that involves all full contact Karate styles. If not, do you guys think this would be possible? I sure would love it as long as it took 3 different types of competition: K-1 rules, and MMA rules (similar to those of UFC / no helmets used only gloves). What do you guys think about this? I think it would be great for all who apreciate this magnificent art. Unfortunately, because of all this political crap ( it's the students who lose mostly with it) it seems difficult to make it real but if we really want something we go for it. Are you guys with me on this one? it would take a lotta money (and maybe a lot of alchool and some fine women) to make this happen. This would be a dream come true!!

Osu no Seishin!!
Old 08-18-2006, 08:14 AM   #2
RASor

Org/Style: IKO1
RASor is on a distinguished road
Osu Sonik,

As proposed, such a tournament project would be expensive to pursue. Considerations would be:

1. Lucrative Purse.- Just like the WBC & WBA, otherwise fighters may not join for reasons that it may be too expensive for them (i.e., insurance cover, travel cost, lodging and meals, medical costs, and other miscellaneous expenses) in the end the fighter may wind up spending his own money (i.e., subsidize);

2. Sponsorship.- Someone must pay for all the expenses;

3. Marketing and Promotion.- International coverage, tri-media +internet;

4. Venue.- just like Lumpinee in Thailand this must be prestigious;

5. Facilities.- Mobilization & Storage of these items, where?

6. Personnel.- Salaries & Wages, a daily obligation;

7. Fighters & Fightclub Accreditation(?).- this is necessary to prevent bogus or those who would participate to take advantage of the benefits (i.e, leeches); and

8. Corporate Offices.- Place where work is centered.

Indeed such a vision would benefit the whole Martial Arts community. I am for such a pursuit but reality may hinder the project's commencement at this time. Funding is difficult to secure at the momment with much political problems worldwide and terrorism widespread. Economic growth has become an "undergrowth" affecting even 1st World States.

The only thing moving up is taxes, debt and death. Indeed reality paints a grim picture.

Solution: Mr. Bill Gates, any excess liquidity will be appreciated.

Just thinking aloud. Osu!
Old 08-20-2006, 12:02 AM   #3
Sonik
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Freelance
Sonik is on a distinguished road
That's a very pessimistic perspective . But i was just making a supposition, imagining there were sponcers (including the japanese government), good marketing, a great venue (such as the Tokyo Dome) and the necessary facilities and personnel.

Solution: Mr Bill Gates adopting me as his son and giving me a part of his share or .... promoting Mr Bill Gates to 10th dan in Karate lol
Old 10-13-2006, 06:34 PM   #4
Nix
Advocatus Diaboli

Org/Style: Ashihara (NIKO)
Nix is a splendid one to beholdNix is a splendid one to beholdNix is a splendid one to beholdNix is a splendid one to beholdNix is a splendid one to beholdNix is a splendid one to beholdNix is a splendid one to beholdNix is a splendid one to behold
The Sabaki Challenge Spirit (SCS), the Ashirara World Cup, is held at low costs. I will make an example, based on your post, RASor. (No offence intended).

1. Lucrative Purse - For the SCS, all fighters pay $100 in entry fee, and all branches pay $500. (I.e., a branch with two fighters would pay $700). This covers costs, such as lodging, the Sayonara Afterparty () and more. All fighters and branches pays the same, even those who live 30 minutes from the venue.

2. Sponsorship - There is a few local sponsors. One of the main sponsors is the local radio station, for example. The national sports association also covers an eventual loss.

3. Marketing and Promotion - A letter will be sent to all branches, and that is pretty much all it takes. As stated above, the local radio station is one of the main sponsors, and runs radio spots on a daily basis to attract spectacors. But admiteddly, I believe most of the spectacors is karate affiliated people, who are there to cheer for their fellow students and friends.

4. Venue - This might be a problem, pending on local laws. In some countries, the city hall (or whatever) is bound to with a offer suitable venue for free, or at a symbolic price. Sometimes, the national sports association covers the expenses used to rent a venue.

5. Facilities - What items are you referring to? Gloves, tatami's etc.? These items could be stored at the hosting dojo (I believe most decent dojo's have storage rooms).

6. Personnel - The SCS uses voulenteers only, such as other students that is not participating, parents, and other people afiliated with the hosting dojo. However, I believe judges gets a small fee from the national sports association.

7. Fighter & Fightclub Accreditation - Please elaborate this. All fighters needs to be member of a branch, have a certain amount of experience, and needs to pass a medical check.

8. Corporate Offices - Might be a challenge, pending on the size of the event. A website would be useful to find basic information, ruleset etc.

I believe it is possible, though it might be a challenge. But the traditional styles have done it with their WKF world championship, no? Correct me if I am wrong. It will also be a challenge to attract all Knockdown styles, seeing as there are several different rulesets. Kyokushin and Ashihara, for example, is very similar, but their rules differ (Ashihara is a bit rougher, allows throws etc.).

Osu

[EDIT: I just remembered that the German Open is open to all Knockdown Karate styles. ]

Last edited by Nix; 10-13-2006 at 06:46 PM.