iconAll times are GMT. The time now is 09:12 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Kyokushin4life Trainings Technique Kata List of all kyokushin kata from yesteryear and today.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #41
ashiharakaicho
Advanced Shoshinsha

Org/Style: Ashihara Karate
ashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud of
Osu,

We also had Gyaku Tsuki no kata - taikyoku sono ichi with an immediate reverse punch without stepping forward. Can be done nicely as it is very fast.

Taught that to some of our students for beginners All Styles competition.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #42
Deaken
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: IKO1
Deaken is a name known to allDeaken is a name known to allDeaken is a name known to allDeaken is a name known to allDeaken is a name known to allDeaken is a name known to all
Other katas mentioned that I don't know how to classify - please help!

Soburi Kata
Hiji Kata
Ichigai Kata
Happono No Kazushi (32 movements)

Osu![/quote]

Taikeyoku 3 and 4 and Soburi Kata were created by Shihan Ande Gilbert as requirement at the time by Sosai to create Kata for Yondan and higher gradings. These are usually only found in Eastern Canada.

Hiji Kata could be the same as Empi? It is an old Kyokushin Kata only still done by us I think, esentially elbow techniques done in Sanchin Dachi.

Ichigai Kata is another old Kyokushin Kata still done in Eastern Canada and at some Japanese dojo's. In Japan they have removed the first movement. Each count repeats the same 5 movements always done in Kiba dachi at 45 degrees. The first movement is gedan barai, but in Japan they have removed this so they do 4 techniques intead of 5.

Happono also somemtimes called star Kata or movements in 8 direction is part of the original Goshin Jitsu of Kokushin and was brought back by Shihan Lowe about 12 years ago and added to the syllabus. There are 32 movements done in two sest of 8 and then 4 sets of 4. Shihan Corrigal's website has the best explanation of it that I know: http://www.kyokushin.ca/kyokushin/kawashi.html
Old 11-18-2011, 06:25 AM   #43
FredInChina
Apprentice

Org/Style: IOGKF,Kyokushin
FredInChina has disabled reputation
Osu,

Thanks for the further inputs, very interesting.
Please keep it coming, I'd like to wrap up a complete list soon

Here is a nice GIF of tekki/naihanshi (Shorin ryu style)

Osu!
Old 11-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #44
gotapex
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Yamaki Karate
gotapex is a glorious beacon of lightgotapex is a glorious beacon of lightgotapex is a glorious beacon of lightgotapex is a glorious beacon of lightgotapex is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredInChina View Post
Osu,

Thanks for the further inputs, very interesting.
Please keep it coming, I'd like to wrap up a complete list soon

Here is a nice GIF of tekki/naihanshi (Shorin ryu style)

Osu!
Looks like how we did it in Shotokan (JKA/AAKF) too.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #45
polarbearfighter
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: WKO
polarbearfighter is a glorious beacon of lightpolarbearfighter is a glorious beacon of lightpolarbearfighter is a glorious beacon of lightpolarbearfighter is a glorious beacon of lightpolarbearfighter is a glorious beacon of lightpolarbearfighter is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaken View Post
Hiji Kata could be the same as Empi? It is an old Kyokushin Kata only still done by us I think, esentially elbow techniques done in Sanchin Dachi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enpi_(kata)
Old 11-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #46
Deaken
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: IKO1
Deaken is a name known to allDeaken is a name known to allDeaken is a name known to allDeaken is a name known to allDeaken is a name known to allDeaken is a name known to all
No, Hiji Kata is definately not the same at all as Enpi. Thank you as this resolves that hypothesis.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #47
Spirit

Org/Style: KDA
Spirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to beholdSpirit is a splendid one to behold
Fred
Kuma Dojo Assoc; does not have this in our syllabus. I was taught this at a "so called "kyokushin" dojo back in the 70's... I know of no other dojo's be them kyokushin or shotokan that teaches it. .. & I know several shotokan sensei's who trained directly under Obata sensei in the 50's and they don't know it
Though the kata I was taught is a bit different than of the 3 links you posted.
I do have it in my syllabus In Spirit karate.

I find it a very good basic and building kata for beginners and a great workout for advanced.
It is a great way to humble the mind, finding that the most basic moves beat you or you are unable to do them with technique, speed and power.

Quote:
Osu Spirit, thank you for that.
Can you tell me more about Ten No Kata?

OSu!

[edit] I looked it up (thank you Google )
Apparently it is a kata created by Gishin Funakoshi as a way to train beginners on the stability of the stances and basic techniques.
Here are 3 links where it is described:
http://www.tjska.com/ten_no_kata_omote.html
http://www.cleckheatonkarate.co.uk/tennokat.pdf
http://havasukarate.com/TEN-NO-KATA.html

Are you practicing/teaching this kata at Kuma Karate Spirit?
Do you know of other kyokushin dojos/orgs that are using it?

Osu!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #48
FredInChina
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakatootoshi View Post
This is Meikyo, never heard it has been a Kyokushin Kata.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNP9A2DBu7A

Osu,

Meiko Kata was brought to my attention by ShiAiDo in this thread.
The first indications are that it is not a kyokushin kata nor has ever been a one; does anyone has other information about this kata and how it is linked with kyokushin (if it is)?

Thank you
Osu!
Old 01-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #49
ashiharakaicho
Advanced Shoshinsha

ashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud ofashiharakaicho has much to be proud of
Quote:
Osu, Meiko Kata was brought to my attention by ShiAiDo The first indications are that it is not a kyokushin kata nor has ever been a one; does anyone has other information about this kata and how it is linked with kyokushin (if it is)? Thank you Osu!
Generally known as a shotokan kata. It was previously called Rohai and was another Kata renamed by Funakoshi Gichin.

It is possible in the early days of Kyokushin, more shotokan/goju kata was practised and perhaps phased out as Kyokushin started assuming its own identity. Other dojo converting to Kyokushin might have maintained some of their old kata and this could have crept in.

When I started kyokushin, my instructor was teaching Tekki Shodan as well as Jion.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #50
kakatootoshi
良いお年を!

Org/Style: fumei
kakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashiharakaicho View Post
Generally known as a shotokan kata. It was previously called Rohai and was another Kata renamed by Funakoshi Gichin.

It is possible in the early days of Kyokushin, more shotokan/goju kata was practised and perhaps phased out as Kyokushin started assuming its own identity. Other dojo converting to Kyokushin might have maintained some of their old kata and this could have crept in.

When I started kyokushin, my instructor was teaching Tekki Shodan as well as Jion.

Tekki is still being practised.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #51
Dent
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: IOGKF/ IKO 1
Dent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond repute
Osu!

Quote:
Tekki is still being practised.
I think it has been reintroduced. It was (Ahem) dormant for a long time.

Osu!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #52
ashiharakaicho
Advanced Shoshinsha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dent View Post
Osu! I think it has been reintroduced. It was (Ahem) dormant for a long time. Osu!
I would support this idea - and perhaps because there are those clips of Sosai doing it, it gives support to bringing it back.

But I would think that when Kyokushin was finally formalised, that the core structure would then be that and not the older ones.

I moved from Shukokai to Kyokushin and other than the pinan kata (heian), one of the first that I learnt was Tekki which I can do till this day. Perhaps shoot a clip of me doing it. Probably more like shotokan the the above clip.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #53
FredInChina
Apprentice

Osu,

Thank you Gentlemen; it seems that Meiko/Rohai does not make the cut to this list then...
Are we in agreement?

OSu!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #54
Dent
Senior Moderator

Dent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond repute
Osu!

Quote:
it seems that Meiko/Rohai does not make the cut to this list then...
Are we in agreement?
I agree with that.

Osu!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #55
kakatootoshi
良いお年を!

Org/Style: fumei
kakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Osu!

I think it has been reintroduced. It was (Ahem) dormant for a long time.

Osu!
It was defibrillated and came to meet you an old friend.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:44 AM   #56
Dent
Senior Moderator

Osu!

Quote:
It was defibrillated and came to meet you an old friend.
I have only one thing to say to this.

Osu!
Old 01-11-2012, 04:47 AM   #57
seienchin
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: Nil
seienchin has a reputation beyond reputeseienchin has a reputation beyond reputeseienchin has a reputation beyond reputeseienchin has a reputation beyond reputeseienchin has a reputation beyond reputeseienchin has a reputation beyond reputeseienchin has a reputation beyond reputeseienchin has a reputation beyond reputeseienchin has a reputation beyond reputeseienchin has a reputation beyond reputeseienchin has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Osu!

I have only one thing to say to this.

Osu!
Ah - so this is the before shoulder surgery kitty, and it was rainbows after?
Old 01-11-2012, 04:50 AM   #58
Dent
Senior Moderator

Osu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seienchin View Post
Ah - so this is the before shoulder surgery kitty, and it was rainbows after?
Nope, this is me post surgery. The before pics are too awful to show!

Osu!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #59
ksan
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: Kicky & Punchy
ksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
reading old post from myself (?!? -apparently my memory keeps getting worse) on a similar thread here on the forum, I find out that taizan is a tonfa kata.

While I cannot prove it, i THINK (or strongly suspect) that the kyokushin Taizan and Soki are versions of these kata (done here by oyama karate guys in Poland). If so they are hardly a invention of Matsui:
taizan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AA5OSyqZKM
Soki
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqNEpJCSqDE

And here we have bo kata 1 & 2 from IKO1 in scotland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3GiGEQ0oCU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byhucCe0oGk

The oyama karateka has a very "irritating" hip movement on his mae geri (he arches his body to much). He "kinda" knows the way in his weapon katas, but it lacks finese and power especially the tonfa kata. His shoulder also dips to much on his downward Bo strikes (leaving his back and neck exposed)

The Scotish IKO1 video is better though his focus is a lot on his technique, he should also be more aware of the positioning of his Bo on executing his techniques (in the end position of the technique).

I wouldnt recommend these video`s as examples.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #60
ksan
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: Kicky & Punchy
ksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbel View Post
Is this not an established knockdown fighter showing the kata ? I am not sure who he is, but he looks very familiar.

Osu