iconAll times are GMT. The time now is 05:29 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

» Kyokushin4life » General Discussion » Knockdown Karate » Kyokushin Karate » The Generations of Kyokushin Karate

Old 11-04-2006, 09:57 AM   #1
IFKQ80
K4L Member

Org/Style: IFK
IFKQ80 is an unknown quantity at this point
The Generations of Kyokushin Karate

This Topic is dedicated to all Kyokushin Karate members it will server as a history list of everyone who you feel has worked hard and dedicated their life to Karate.

I hope it will also serve as a track list of the instructors who you studied Kyokushin under and their instructors before and so on all the way up to Sosai Oyama.

I have divided this list in to several generations and I also added some names of my own I believe there should be more in each list I hope you can help in making each list bigger by adding more names.

I also added comments at the end of each list please let us know if there is something else you would like to say.

The Generations of Kyokushin Karate

1-Sosai Oyama The founder of Kyokushin Karate

2-The First generation :

•Tadashi Nakamura
•Shigeru Oyama
•Steve Arneil
•Ashihara

(This generation is the direct students of Sosai who helped in the development, spreading this new form of Karate world wide and also giving it the strong repetition that it has.)

3-The Second generation:

•Katsuaki Sato
•Hatsuo Royama
•Joko Nimoniya
•Takashi Azuma
•Makoto Nakamura

(This generation is the first generation who should the world how strong the Kyokushin tournaments is and fought with strong sprites).

4-The third generation:

•Matsui
•Filho
•Andy hug
•Midori
•Kazumi

(This generation is the one who made fighting in Kyokushin very technical and gave ideas of how to fight to all fighters around the world).

I am sure this list wont stop and there will be more and more generations to come and the The Generations of Kyokushin Karate will continues for ever OSU!!!

Your’s in Kyokushin
IFKQ80
Old 11-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
kenjikurosaki
New K4Ler

kenjikurosaki
is missing in the first generation, Kenji Kurosaki, who many people call him the co-founder of Kyokushin.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:16 PM   #3
sokaiya
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Why?
sokaiya will become famous soon enoughsokaiya will become famous soon enough
Kazuyoshii Ishii - Would he be considered 2nd Generation? If so 2nd Generation seems like the revolutionists with big idea's.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:49 AM   #4
ibuki

Org/Style: Judo
ibuki will become famous soon enoughibuki will become famous soon enough
OSU!
This is a great topic and na excellent idea. Thanks IFKQ80-san. By the way I think the new generation will be somethign like "Karatekas with a very high spirit and with such a devotion to the Kyokushin Competition that they have closed their eyes for the real fight"
Anyway hope You all don't kill me, but from the experience that I have(I won't mention exact names), this is teh truth
OSU!

Old 11-05-2006, 11:24 AM   #5
nzproud
Fight Ippatsu!

Org/Style: IKO1
nzproud is just really nicenzproud is just really nicenzproud is just really nicenzproud is just really nice
Sensei Kazumi should be in the 4th generation after Kancho Matsui/Midori???
Old 11-07-2006, 01:00 AM   #6
sokaiya
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Why?
sokaiya will become famous soon enoughsokaiya will become famous soon enough
So should Sensei Filho and they both came at the end of Midori, Matsui and Hug's runs in Kyokushin.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:50 AM   #7
IFKQ80
K4L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjikurosaki View Post
is missing in the first generation, Kenji Kurosaki, who many people call him the co-founder of Kyokushin.
Dear KenjiKurosaku,

I didn't plan to list all members of each generation I understand that there are more then the ones I listed.

Read this please:

"I have divided this list in to several generations and I also added some names of my own I believe there should be more in each list I hope you can help in making each list bigger by adding more names." <-- Original post.

So with the help of people like you we can make each list bigger.

OSU

IFKQ80
Old 11-07-2006, 08:12 AM   #8
IFKQ80
K4L Member

The First generation :

- Kenji Kurosaki

(Ten years later, in 1964, Oyama's senior disciple Kurosaki led another team of 3 Karateka to Lumpinee to challenge the Thais. Although the Karate team won 2 out of 3 bouts; Kurosaki, who was the leader, got KOed by middleweight champion "Reewai" 2 min 35 sec in the 1st round with an elbow strike. That fight changed his life forever - he was to give up Karate and train himself in Muaythai, eventually becoming the Father of Japanese Kickboxing. His castle, the Mejiro Gym still stands strong today. But in the old Japanese martial art comics "Karate Baka Ichidai", this important episode in Karate history was not depicted at all, only vaguely mentioned. It appeared that the comics only glorifiied, sometimes exagerating the victories of Kyokushin, but not its defeats.)

Source: The Rise & Fall of Kyokushin (http://crane.50megs.com/index6w.htm)

IFKQ80
Old 11-07-2006, 12:51 PM   #9
Martin H
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: WKO
Martin H has much to be proud ofMartin H has much to be proud ofMartin H has much to be proud ofMartin H has much to be proud ofMartin H has much to be proud ofMartin H has much to be proud ofMartin H has much to be proud ofMartin H has much to be proud ofMartin H has much to be proud of
Slight correction. He didnt get KOd, The thais elbow cut his eyebrow badly, and the bout was ended by the doctor. Kurosaki has said he thought it a BS stoppage because the thais were afraid to loose the entire event (they had already lost the two other fights by KO).
And he didnt switch to train in muaythai, he adapted his kyokushin to fight under japanese kickboxing+muaythai rules.

The crane site is not that relieable a source. And what info it does have is seriously skewed to fit the authors biases as a sanshou fanatic with a big respect for muaythai, a slight grudging acceptance of knockdown karate and scorn for anything else.

On topic I would say he is somewhere between generation 1 and 2. generation 1.5?
Old 11-07-2006, 05:43 PM   #10
Lonewolf
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: n/a
Lonewolf is a jewel in the roughLonewolf is a jewel in the roughLonewolf is a jewel in the roughLonewolf is a jewel in the rough
OSU! Mr. Kenji Kurosaki has contributed alot to the development of Kyokushin. It is said that when Mas. Oyama was formulating his new style(Kyokushin), he looked to Mr. Kurosaki as the model for "fighting spirit" and to Mr. Okada as the model for "technique". Mr. Kenji Kurosaki was a very special Budo-Ka and a throwback to the old days of the Samurai. I know from previous message boards and posts that Kurosaki is not too popular with the Kyokushin community today. But, we should all acknowlge his achievements and contributions to this amazing style. Kenji Kurosaki was the meanest of the mean, and noone gave this man any BS or trouble. They knew the deal. So, yes I agree that Kurosaki is actually the co-founder of Kyokushin and second only to Sosai Oyama. Before Mr. Shigeru Oyama was "Saiko-Shihan" Kurosaki was the "highest master" of Kyokushin first, with that same title. I would love to see a post stated on the career and life story of this amazing man. I know that the old time greats such as Shihan Bobby Lowe knew Mr. Kurosaki personally and could really share some interesting stories with us. Does anyone know more about this Karate legend? OSU!
Old 11-07-2006, 11:01 PM   #11
Boaretto
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: KWF
Boaretto will become famous soon enough
Maybe in second generation also Mr. Daigo Oishi, Mr. Cameron Quinn and Mr. John Taylor.

I think in third generation you can put Mr. Matsui, Mr. Midori, Mr. Hiroki Kurosawa, Mr. Akira Masuda, Mr. Andy Hug, Mr. Ademir da Costa and Mr. Yasuhiro Sichinohe.

After these, in 4th generation, Mr. Francisco Filho, Mr. Hajime Kazumi, Mr. Tamura.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:56 PM   #12
kakatootoshi
良いお年を!

Org/Style: fumei
kakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond repute
I think it is not easy to classify these karatekas into generations.
For example, according to an interview of Shihan Quinn, he first started kyokushin with Shihan Frank Everett, who was taught by Shihan Kato Shigeru. So in this theory he could be a 4th generation kyokushin karateka. But as he also spent a considerable period in Japan studying with Sosai Oyama so he is also a 2nd generation in kyokushin. And I think Filho and Kazumi can also be called 3rd generation because their instructors, Shihan Hiroshige and Isobe, have both been taught by Sosai. Anyway I think this difficulty in tracing a family tree is something good, as it shows people in kyokushin are all willing to share knowledge with each other, and not be bordered by hierarchy (just like what we are doing in this forum).

OSU!
Old 11-08-2006, 07:02 AM   #13
IFKQ80
K4L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokaiya View Post
Kazuyoshii Ishii - Would he be considered 2nd Generation? If so 2nd Generation seems like the revolutionists with big idea's.
Thank you for the your post Sokaiya.

IFKQ80
Old 11-08-2006, 07:05 AM   #14
IFKQ80
K4L Member

The Second generation :

- Kazuyoshi Ishii

A former Kyokushin karate member who had formed his own organization ( Seido-kaikan karate) and K-1.

IFKQ80
Old 11-08-2006, 07:09 AM   #15
IFKQ80
K4L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuki View Post
OSU!
This is a great topic and na excellent idea. Thanks IFKQ80-san. By the way I think the new generation will be somethign like "Karatekas with a very high spirit and with such a devotion to the Kyokushin Competition that they have closed their eyes for the real fight"
Anyway hope You all don't kill me, but from the experience that I have(I won't mention exact names), this is teh truth
OSU!
Thank you very much ibuki I'm glad you like this topic. I think in a way what you said is true regarding the new generation but here comes the rule on their instructors who should always remind them that Kyokushin will always be Budo Karate and not to turn in into Sport Karate.

OSU

IFKQ80
Old 11-08-2006, 07:10 AM   #16
IFKQ80
K4L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzproud View Post
Sensei Kazumi should be in the 4th generation after Kancho Matsui/Midori???
I guess your are right nzproud Thank you for sharing that with us.

IFKQ80
Old 11-08-2006, 07:13 AM   #17
IFKQ80
K4L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
Slight correction. He didnt get KOd, The thais elbow cut his eyebrow badly, and the bout was ended by the doctor. Kurosaki has said he thought it a BS stoppage because the thais were afraid to loose the entire event (they had already lost the two other fights by KO).
And he didnt switch to train in muaythai, he adapted his kyokushin to fight under japanese kickboxing+muaythai rules.

The crane site is not that relieable a source. And what info it does have is seriously skewed to fit the authors biases as a sanshou fanatic with a big respect for muaythai, a slight grudging acceptance of knockdown karate and scorn for anything else.

On topic I would say he is somewhere between generation 1 and 2. generation 1.5?

Thank you Martin I'm glad you shared that with us to me this is important information.

IFKQ80
Old 11-08-2006, 07:18 AM   #18
IFKQ80
K4L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
OSU! Mr. Kenji Kurosaki has contributed alot to the development of Kyokushin. It is said that when Mas. Oyama was formulating his new style(Kyokushin), he looked to Mr. Kurosaki as the model for "fighting spirit" and to Mr. Okada as the model for "technique". Mr. Kenji Kurosaki was a very special Budo-Ka and a throwback to the old days of the Samurai. I know from previous message boards and posts that Kurosaki is not too popular with the Kyokushin community today. But, we should all acknowlge his achievements and contributions to this amazing style. Kenji Kurosaki was the meanest of the mean, and noone gave this man any BS or trouble. They knew the deal. So, yes I agree that Kurosaki is actually the co-founder of Kyokushin and second only to Sosai Oyama. Before Mr. Shigeru Oyama was "Saiko-Shihan" Kurosaki was the "highest master" of Kyokushin first, with that same title. I would love to see a post stated on the career and life story of this amazing man. I know that the old time greats such as Shihan Bobby Lowe knew Mr. Kurosaki personally and could really share some interesting stories with us. Does anyone know more about this Karate legend? OSU!
I would also love that too Lonewolf and not just Mr. Kenji Kurosaki but all other Kyokushin members that you read their names is this topic even the ones I have mentioned.

I was planning to do that for each name but I didn't want to make it a long topic and also I wanted to read what you guys think of them.

OSU!

IFKQ80
Old 11-08-2006, 07:32 AM   #19
IFKQ80
K4L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaretto View Post
Maybe in second generation also Mr. Daigo Oishi, Mr. Cameron Quinn and Mr. John Taylor.

I think in third generation you can put Mr. Matsui, Mr. Midori, Mr. Hiroki Kurosawa, Mr. Akira Masuda, Mr. Andy Hug, Mr. Ademir da Costa and Mr. Yasuhiro Sichinohe.

After these, in 4th generation, Mr. Francisco Filho, Mr. Hajime Kazumi, Mr. Tamura.
yes Boaretto you are right but I didn't do that because they are almost in the same time period and you could say they are between generation 3 and 4 maybe that will be more like it.

Thank you for giving in those names.

IFKQ80
Old 11-08-2006, 07:37 AM   #20
IFKQ80
K4L Member

The Second generation :

- Daigo Oishi
- Cameron Quinn
- John Taylor

IFKQ80