iconAll times are GMT. The time now is 05:29 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:08 AM   #1
sokaiya
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Why?
sokaiya will become famous soon enoughsokaiya will become famous soon enough
Willie Williams

"Bear Killer" Willie Williams - ウィリー・ウィリアムス
ORGANIZATION: World Oyama Karate
HEIGHT: 6 feet 7 inches (200cm)
WEIGHT: 231lbs (105kg)
DATE OF BIRTH: July 14th, 1951
PLACE OF BIRTH: North Carolina, USA
DOJO HOMEPAGE:

Was suspended from the International Karate Organization Kyokushinkaikan along with his Sensei Shigeru Oyama for his fight against Antonio Inoki in 1980. The match ended in a draw from Doctor stoppage. Williams had a broken arm and Inoki had a broken rib. Also, Willie Williams fought in the now defunct RINGS Professional Organization formerly run by Akira Maeda in several mixed martial arts fights in the early 1990's. He entered KYOKUSHINKAIKAN in 1970 in New York, USA.

TITLES & ACCOMPLISHMENTS:

KARATE FIGHT HISTORY:
USA Oyama Karate vs Seidokaikan 1991 - Lost to Masaaki Satake
3rd World Open Karate Tournament 1984 (IKO) - Final 32 (Lost to Keizo..)
2nd World Open Karate Tournament 1979 (IKO) - 3rd Place

MEDIOGRAPHY:

Last edited by sokaiya; 02-26-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
mzee101
K4L Member

Org/Style: IKO and JKA
mzee101 is on a distinguished road
no one metion he took on a bear I wonder where willie williams is ? anyone know i'm probably not the frist to ask
Old 03-18-2009, 02:11 AM   #3
Lonewolf
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: n/a
Lonewolf is a jewel in the roughLonewolf is a jewel in the roughLonewolf is a jewel in the roughLonewolf is a jewel in the rough
Osu! Sensei Willie Williams(aka Kamau Okbar) is no longer affliated with World Oyama Karate. He now lives a simple, peaceful existence in an area where the people are unaware of his accomplishments and achievements. I am very well known in the area I live in. I have promoted Kyokushin here through the media for years. I have even taken part in several action movies and featured regularly on cable television. So, I am somewhat of a local celebrity and my face is recognizable by everyone living here.
I once met an elderly man and his wife at a restauran in the area I live in. They were from Willie Williams' home town. They were very familiar with me and my reputation in Kyokushin Karate from the media. The man was very thrilled to be meeting me in person as he had only seen me on television or in the newspapers. He even asked me for my autograph, which always embarrases me. After talking with me for a few minutes, he asked me the most incredible question anyone has ever asked me. He explained to me that there was a fellow in his hometown who was supposed to be good at Karate, but he didn't believe it. He told me that this man was named "Willie Williams", and he asked me if I have ever heard of him?(This man was totally unaware that Willie Williams and me were both in the same style, and that we knew each other well). The man then asked me the most incredible question. He asked me "Does Willie Williams know anything at all about Karate?" I looked at this man with the most dumbfounded expression on my face. I then replied, "You asking me if Willie Williams knows anything about Karate, is like asking me "Does Muhammad Ali know how to Box?" or if "Michael Jordan knows anything about Basketball?" This man was shocked by my answer. He then said, "Willie Williams is that good". I said "Yes, He is one of the greats. He fought against Antonio Inoki, Japan's top pro-restler in a martial arts fight. He was the first foreigner to gain third place in the Kyokushin Karate World Tournament in 1979. He fought a 8 foot 750 pound wild bear as part of a Japanese documentary on Kyokushin Karate in 1976. It's just that he has not received the true recognition that he deserves. And he is too modest and humble to seek it". This man was very impressed by what I told him. He had no idea who Willie Williams really was.
I'm proud to say this man is my friend and I wish him always the best in his life. He is now living a very peaceful, ordinary existence.
Osu!
Old 03-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
kanku
member k4l drinking club

Org/Style: IKKU
kanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Osu! Sensei Willie Williams(aka Kamau Okbar) is no longer affliated with World Oyama Karate. He now lives a simple, peaceful existence in an area where the people are unaware of his accomplishments and achievements. I am very well known in the area I live in. I have promoted Kyokushin here through the media for years. I have even taken part in several action movies and featured regularly on cable television. So, I am somewhat of a local celebrity and my face is recognizable by everyone living here.
I once met an elderly man and his wife at a restauran in the area I live in. They were from Willie Williams' home town. They were very familiar with me and my reputation in Kyokushin Karate from the media. The man was very thrilled to be meeting me in person as he had only seen me on television or in the newspapers. He even asked me for my autograph, which always embarrases me. After talking with me for a few minutes, he asked me the most incredible question anyone has ever asked me. He explained to me that there was a fellow in his hometown who was supposed to be good at Karate, but he didn't believe it. He told me that this man was named "Willie Williams", and he asked me if I have ever heard of him?(This man was totally unaware that Willie Williams and me were both in the same style, and that we knew each other well). The man then asked me the most incredible question. He asked me "Does Willie Williams know anything at all about Karate?" I looked at this man with the most dumbfounded expression on my face. I then replied, "You asking me if Willie Williams knows anything about Karate, is like asking me "Does Muhammad Ali know how to Box?" or if "Michael Jordan knows anything about Basketball?" This man was shocked by my answer. He then said, "Willie Williams is that good". I said "Yes, He is one of the greats. He fought against Antonio Inoki, Japan's top pro-restler in a martial arts fight. He was the first foreigner to gain third place in the Kyokushin Karate World Tournament in 1979. He fought a 8 foot 750 pound wild bear as part of a Japanese documentary on Kyokushin Karate in 1976. It's just that he has not received the true recognition that he deserves. And he is too modest and humble to seek it". This man was very impressed by what I told him. He had no idea who Willie Williams really was.
I'm proud to say this man is my friend and I wish him always the best in his life. He is now living a very peaceful, ordinary existence.
Osu!
osu lonewolf!

great post, perhaps you should be a candidate for an "interview"

one thing i would say is, having seen the documentary imo fighting a tame passive, perhaps doped up bear doesn`t make you a good karateka. this was purely for advertising purposes imo again..all dealt with in another thread!!

what he did in the world of m.a made him a great karateka!
Old 03-19-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
mzee101
K4L Member

Org/Style: IKO and JKA
mzee101 is on a distinguished road
Lonewolf
You are truly honored for knowing such a karateka i feel greatly incomptent from your reply to have known him personally wow ...... It is truly as shame that he is no longer part of Kyokushin aparently he was a very modest man.Even though the bear may have been tame it is not every day some one takes on a bear i think he wished to replicate oyama bull killing feat . My hat of to you lone wolf you seem to have reached a very high level in the world of kyokushin im still a rookie and thankful for your reply ha if i could only train under you
Old 03-19-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
Daredreamer
New K4Ler

Org/Style: IKO1
Daredreamer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Osu!
Lonewolf, that is so great to hear, I am glad he is doing well. Does Mr. Williams still practice karate?

The Fighting Black Kings had such an influence on me in my youth, and still to this day. Does anyone know what ever happened to Frank Clark?

Osu!
Scott
Old 08-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
jlee24
K4L Member

Org/Style: Thai Boxing
jlee24 will become famous soon enoughjlee24 will become famous soon enough
Frank Clark lives in upstate apparently as well. I've never met the man, but he visits Matsumoto Dojo every now and then to say hello. Shihan Skinner, whom I believe is his step-son, runs a dojo in New Paltz, NY. The friendliest karateka I've ever met.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:55 AM   #8
Salis
New K4Ler

Salis is on a distinguished road
Wow it's really crazy what one finds when googling some time. I am Kamau Okbar's son, Willie Williams as a lot of you know him. It's great to see people talking about him, kinda surreal in a way for me, since I know him as my father. Anyway I just wanted to say he is indeed doing well and he is not fighting anymore not since he was hit but a car while riding his bike. But he is doing well and considering better then most people even right after having been hit by the car.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:01 AM   #9
kakatootoshi
良いお年を!

Org/Style: fumei
kakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond reputekakatootoshi has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salis View Post
Wow it's really crazy what one finds when googling some time. I am Kamau Okbar's son, Willie Williams as a lot of you know him. It's great to see people talking about him, kinda surreal in a way for me, since I know him as my father. Anyway I just wanted to say he is indeed doing well and he is not fighting anymore not since he was hit but a car while riding his bike. But he is doing well and considering better then most people even right after having been hit by the car.
Please send our warmest regards to your father.

We will appreciate if he can occasionally log on and share with us his great experiences.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:33 AM   #10
jcarmello
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Hwe Dup Bap
jcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant futurejcarmello has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salis View Post
I am sorry to hear about your Dads accident. I hope he mends quickly and completely. I know we all wish him well! It would be great to have him stop in to the forum and chat.

Thank you for posting Salis!!
Old 03-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #11
MilkManX
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Enshin
MilkManX is just really niceMilkManX is just really niceMilkManX is just really niceMilkManX is just really niceMilkManX is just really nice

I wish him the best. Hope he feels better and thanks for letting us know.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #12
sandman
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: WYKKO
sandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond reputesandman has a reputation beyond repute
Osu! Salis, thank you for popping in and sharing that information. Best wishes to your father...

Osu!
Old 03-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #13
ksan
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: Kicky & Punchy
ksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to beholdksan is a splendid one to behold
Osu Sails,

Best wishes to your father from the Netherlands & Ireland

Osu
Old 03-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #14
Kyu_7_Romania
K4L Member

Org/Style: probably all
Kyu_7_Romania is on a distinguished road
OSU Salis,

best wishes from Romania for your dad - he was a legend for us here, I remember watching movie records with him fighting, 30 years ago.

Do you practice?
Old 03-15-2010, 03:29 AM   #15
Dent
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: IOGKF/ IKO 1
Dent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond reputeDent has a reputation beyond repute
Osu!

Salis, thank you for your post! Is your father teaching anywhere?

I'm sure we all wish him a full recovery.

Osu!
Old 03-15-2010, 06:47 AM   #16
Okamido
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: BCKA / WKA
Okamido is a name known to allOkamido is a name known to allOkamido is a name known to allOkamido is a name known to allOkamido is a name known to allOkamido is a name known to all
USA Oyama Karate -vs- Seidokaikan 1991

Willie Williams -vs- Masaaki Satake

'Stand & Bang!' - lots of pain, and great spirit.

Please send well wishes and regards from across the pond.

Osu!
Old 03-16-2010, 10:43 AM   #17
kanku
member k4l drinking club

kanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant futurekanku has a brilliant future
Osu Salis!!

i would like to ask your father a couple of questions, it would be fantastic if you could get him to have a look at the forum!
Old 03-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #18
Lonewolf
Senior K4L Member

Lonewolf is a jewel in the roughLonewolf is a jewel in the roughLonewolf is a jewel in the roughLonewolf is a jewel in the rough
Osu! It is an honor to have you come on here and tell that news. I knew about that accident that Sensei Okbar(Sensei Willie Williams) had, but out of respect for him, I did not mention it here on this forum. I felt it was too personal. The injuries that he sustained would have killed or at least crippled a normal man. Your Father is not a normal man, he is one of the last of a dying breed of great, powerful fighters. Other than him limping a little bit, you cannot even tell now that he was injured that bad, as the accident happened about 6 years ago. He had a long road to recovery, and alot of serious pain.
A great man and a living legend. I'm proud to call him my friend.
Osu!
Old 03-17-2010, 07:00 AM   #19
kanku
member k4l drinking club

Quote:
Osu! It is an honor to have you come on here and tell that news. I knew about that accident that Sensei Okbar(Sensei Willie Williams) had, but out of respect for him, I did not mention it here on this forum. I felt it was too personal. The injuries that he sustained would have killed or at least crippled a normal man. Your Father is not a normal man, he is one of the last of a dying breed of great, powerful fighters. Other than him limping a little bit, you cannot even tell now that he was injured that bad, as the accident happened about 6 years ago. He had a long road to recovery, and alot of serious pain.
A great man and a living legend. I'm proud to call him my friend.
Osu!
Osu Lonewolf!!

Do you think Sensei Okbar would be at all interested in joining us at all?...or just saying hello?
Old 05-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #20
SenseiWB
New K4Ler

Org/Style: iko-sosai
SenseiWB is on a distinguished road
It's good to know that Sensei Okbar (W.Williams) is well. He was an inspiration to me as a fellow Kyokushin practitioner. I currently teach in Charlotte, NC along with a fellow classmate of his from Soshu Oyama. It would be an honor to have him come and visit us.
Let me know.
Peace.

Your dad was the Man! Back in the days. I have a some photo of him with my late Shihan, William Oliver along with Shihan Charles Martin.

Last edited by Dent; 05-09-2010 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Consecutive posts