iconAll times are GMT. The time now is 09:36 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Kyokushin4life The Lounge Open Discussion ╗ Kyokushin karate in Video games

Old 11-18-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
supergroup7
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: N/A
supergroup7 is a splendid one to beholdsupergroup7 is a splendid one to beholdsupergroup7 is a splendid one to beholdsupergroup7 is a splendid one to beholdsupergroup7 is a splendid one to beholdsupergroup7 is a splendid one to beholdsupergroup7 is a splendid one to behold
Kyokushin karate in Video games

I just found a kyokushin website that states the following:

"Jin Kazama from Namco's Tekken series uses the art of Kyokushin Karate in Tekken 4, Tekken 5 and Tekken Dark Resurrection. He can be seen practicing Yansu and Naihanchi kata in various demonstration modes in the Tekken series. Kadonashi Shintaro from Namco's Urban Reign video game uses the art of Kyokushinkai. Hitomi from Tecmo's Dead or Alive series uses the art of Kyokushin Karate in Dead or Alive 3 and Dead or Alive 4. She can be seen practicing the kata Pinan Sono Yon in various demonstration modes in Dead or Alive 3 and Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball. While Hitomi's style of karate is never explicitly stated in-game, the ending credits of Dead or Alive 3 indicate the only karate martial arts consultant for the game is a practitioner of Kyokushinkai.
Solara from is said to practice Kyokushinkai.
Kyokugenryu Karate is a fictional martial art from SNK Playmore's Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury and King of Fighters series. Kyokugenryu, which is practiced by Ryo Sakazaki, Robert Garcia, Yuri Sakazaki, Takuma Sakazaki and Marco Rodriguez/Khushnood Butt, is heavily based on Kyokushinryu Karate." Suprari

O.K... all you gamers out there ( not that I can call myself a full-fledged gamer, but I do lift up the controller now and then in my hands) have you noticed a Kyokushin Karate style of fighting in the above mentioned games? I'm really curious because I might just go out to buy myself Tekken if that is so. I'd really like to see the animated character performing the Yangtsu, and Naihanchi kata. I wonder if a bunch of pixels on a screen can capture Kata flow, and power.

Last edited by supergroup7; 11-18-2007 at 02:01 PM. Reason: added the link to the quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:29 PM   #2
powerof0ne
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: KSK
powerof0ne has much to be proud ofpowerof0ne has much to be proud ofpowerof0ne has much to be proud ofpowerof0ne has much to be proud ofpowerof0ne has much to be proud ofpowerof0ne has much to be proud ofpowerof0ne has much to be proud ofpowerof0ne has much to be proud ofpowerof0ne has much to be proud of
I've always thought that especially in the later streetfighter series that it looks like Ryu and Ken are doing Kyokushin(alphas and SF3). I guess in the Tekken series I can see some Kyokushin in the Kazuya characters. Ken even does a Brasilian kick in streetfighter alphas and 3..enough said.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
Bloke
Senior Moderator

Org/Style: n/a
Bloke is just really niceBloke is just really niceBloke is just really niceBloke is just really niceBloke is just really nice
Supergroup your wish is my command

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE
Old 11-18-2007, 03:51 PM   #4
Martin
K4L Member

Org/Style: IKO 1
Martin is on a distinguished road
Well, like powerof0ne said, I think Ryu and Ken, practice Kyokushin, and Jim Kazama definitely use Kyokushin, in the game, he can do sanchin, brazilian kick, do mawashi, and many things from Kyokushin.
There's a game named Ichigeki: Hagane no Hito, por Plastation 1, Its about Kyokushin fighting.
Also, in K1 Grand Prix 2003, you can use, Francisco Filho, great kyokushin "superstar"
Ossu!
Old 11-18-2007, 06:17 PM   #5
vapor
▄ber Mod

Org/Style: IKO1
vapor is a splendid one to beholdvapor is a splendid one to beholdvapor is a splendid one to beholdvapor is a splendid one to beholdvapor is a splendid one to beholdvapor is a splendid one to beholdvapor is a splendid one to beholdvapor is a splendid one to behold
Post #3 in this thread should have a familiar face on the top right hand corner, and Andy on the bottom too!!

http://www.kyokushin4life.com/forums...hop-tokyo.html

(still have it sitting in my home if anyone has interest---and has a Japan version of PS1!)

vapor
Old 11-18-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
supergroup7
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: N/A
supergroup7 is a splendid one to beholdsupergroup7 is a splendid one to beholdsupergroup7 is a splendid one to beholdsupergroup7 is a splendid one to beholdsupergroup7 is a splendid one to beholdsupergroup7 is a splendid one to beholdsupergroup7 is a splendid one to behold
Wow!!! Thank you so much for the video, Bloke. I really appreciated being able to see that. It was so neat to watch. I love the background, and music. I believe that the music was created just for the kata demonstration as the bass drum seems to sound at perfect match with the punching techniques.

Is it just me, or do his Shuto strikes have an awkward look to them? almost like he is striking with the tip of his fingertips instead of the outside of his palm.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:50 AM   #7
Sonik
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Freelance
Sonik is on a distinguished road
Ryu and Sagat are based on Yoshiji Soeno (founder of Shidokan Karate) and Reiba from Karate Baka Ishidai (manga).
Old 12-01-2007, 12:19 PM   #8
_Simon_
K4L Member

Org/Style: VKKA/AKKA
_Simon_ will become famous soon enough
YES OMG i was actually going to post a topic on this myself haha! yeah in tekken, jin kazama uses kyokushin. WOW i haven't seen that clip of Jin before! it must be in tekken 4 or something (i don't have that one, only 1, 2, 3, and 5 lol)

but yeah it's really interesting, there is this Power stance that Jin uses, he steps out into sanchin with both his forearms pointing up and parallel (like at the start of some kata), and this sort of stops any attack from getting through i think. it's interesting ay! and sanchin is also used in a few other of his moves, as though it is showing as a strong immovable stance

Also, has anyone noticed that Paul Phoenix on Tekken 5 says "Osu!" when you win a match? (his style is an integrated judo martial art)

oh yeah, and i remember reading somewhere that Ryu off Street Fighter is a Shotokan practitioner, hmmmm, maybe i should get into Shotokan, them whirlwind/hurricane kicks (u know the tetsumekisempakiyaku) and HADUUUUKENs seem pretty devastating

Last edited by _Simon_; 12-02-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:50 PM   #9
dimi_108
New K4Ler

Org/Style: IKO Sosai
dimi_108 is on a distinguished road
In the King of Fighters series, Ryo, Takuma, Robert and Yuri do Kyokushin karate.
Has anybody played KOF before?

Last edited by dimi_108; 12-08-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:34 AM   #10
shinobijesus
Senior K4L Member

shinobijesus will become famous soon enough
yeah i noticed that on my own as well before i read it on wiki. i got tekken 5 long before i joined Kyokushin and Jin ended up being the first character i got to the rank of tekken lord. i was impressed by how powerful he was. put the game away for a while and eventually joined a karate dojo and started noticing that if you dont think about the physics of the hits, Jin does practically everything we do....
Old 12-12-2007, 12:43 PM   #11
_Simon_
K4L Member

YEAH i used to play mainly as Hwoarang ever since tekken 3 days lol, but got into Jin more in tekken 5 (he was okaaay in no 3, but no5 he's awwwesome lol)

and shinobijesus, dude, no idea HOW you got to tekken lord lol far out u must be good lol
Old 12-14-2007, 05:41 AM   #12
shinobijesus
Senior K4L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Simon_ View Post
and shinobijesus, dude, no idea HOW you got to tekken lord lol far out u must be good lol
seriously? ive got like 18 characters at tekken lord... i really dont think im that good. i only have to fight against the computer since i never have anyone to play against so i dont know.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #13
_Simon_
K4L Member

yeah i fight against the computer, but their rank gets HIGHER and HIGHER i think once it's at 5th dan, the ranks get to other stages (Master, Shihan, Sage, Expert etc), and man, they get HARD AS haha
Old 12-18-2007, 01:07 AM   #14
shinobijesus
Senior K4L Member

1st-5th dan, shihan, expert, master, virtuoso, champion, legend, sage, warlord, conqueror, deity, tekken lord....

once you get them figured out you will have an easier time on the tekken lord because it doesnt attack as recklessly as say a warlord. *shrug*
Old 12-18-2007, 12:36 PM   #15
_Simon_
K4L Member

LOL haha, ok cheers mate, i will work on gettin there haha! hey, do u get any special errrm priiiiiize for gettin to tekken lord???
Old 12-20-2007, 07:30 PM   #16
kidflash
New K4Ler

Org/Style: Wado
kidflash is on a distinguished road
osu, shinobijesus!
tekkenlord is really tough to get i think... my best character is feng and im only legend with him. but playing against real persons is quite different, computer always plays same style.
in tekken4 i was very good with jin, none of my friends stood a chance, but in tekken5 i dont get to this level with him

"There are three ways to become a good karateka: 1.basics - 2.basics - 3.basics"

Oyama Masutatsu
Old 05-31-2008, 04:18 PM   #17
MilkManX
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Enshin
MilkManX is just really niceMilkManX is just really niceMilkManX is just really niceMilkManX is just really niceMilkManX is just really nice
I am a huge fan of SNK games.

I have always loved the King of Fighters series and now I have to have at least one Kyokugen(Kyokushin basically) Ryu fighter on my team!

I love when Takuma and Ryo face each other and go
before a fight.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:41 AM   #18
Kyokushin_Practioner
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Shorin-Ryu
Kyokushin_Practioner is on a distinguished road
yes,i love when Marco kicks the Bear in the Karate Gi in Mark Of The Wolves and does the Kyokushin Boah.LOL i also love when the Kyokugen fighters fight each other.pure awesomness.i love fighting games and SNK to the fullest.im a hardcore gamer and i will never stop.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:44 AM   #19
Kyokushin_Practioner
Senior K4L Member

Org/Style: Shorin-Ryu
Kyokushin_Practioner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergroup7 View Post
I just found a kyokushin website that states the following:

"Jin Kazama from Namco's Tekken series uses the art of Kyokushin Karate in Tekken 4, Tekken 5 and Tekken Dark Resurrection. He can be seen practicing Yansu and Naihanchi kata in various demonstration modes in the Tekken series. Kadonashi Shintaro from Namco's Urban Reign video game uses the art of Kyokushinkai. Hitomi from Tecmo's Dead or Alive series uses the art of Kyokushin Karate in Dead or Alive 3 and Dead or Alive 4. She can be seen practicing the kata Pinan Sono Yon in various demonstration modes in Dead or Alive 3 and Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball. While Hitomi's style of karate is never explicitly stated in-game, the ending credits of Dead or Alive 3 indicate the only karate martial arts consultant for the game is a practitioner of Kyokushinkai.
Solara from is said to practice Kyokushinkai.
Kyokugenryu Karate is a fictional martial art from SNK Playmore's Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury and King of Fighters series. Kyokugenryu, which is practiced by Ryo Sakazaki, Robert Garcia, Yuri Sakazaki, Takuma Sakazaki and Marco Rodriguez/Khushnood Butt, is heavily based on Kyokushinryu Karate." Suprari

O.K... all you gamers out there ( not that I can call myself a full-fledged gamer, but I do lift up the controller now and then in my hands) have you noticed a Kyokushin Karate style of fighting in the above mentioned games? I'm really curious because I might just go out to buy myself Tekken if that is so. I'd really like to see the animated character performing the Yangtsu, and Naihanchi kata. I wonder if a bunch of pixels on a screen can capture Kata flow, and power.

did you know that Takuma Sakazaki is based off of Mas Oyama himself? you can really see the resemblence between Mas and Takuma too.and Takuma is known to be hard on his students just like it was said about Mas.and in Takuma's bio it says that the drop-out rates in Kyokugen are high because Kyokugen is so tough.LOL also,it is said Paul Phoinex from the Tekken series cross-trains Kyokushin and Judo.Paul even says "Osu!" in one of his win quotes.you should really give fighting games and SNK games a try supergroup.i think you could have alot of fun.

Funfact:before studying Kyokushin,Jin studied his father and grandfather's "Mishima-Ryu Karate" which is said to be based off of Goji-Ryu Karate.Jin is a Mishima,but Jin takes his mothers last name because Jin hates his father and grandfather.

Last edited by Kyokushin_Practioner; 06-03-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:22 PM   #20
Kiryu
K4L Member

Kiryu
And know there also is Jean Kujo a french Kyokushin Fighter in Virtua Fighter.
He got cool design and moves.
Osu!
EDIT:
By the way Ken, Ryu, G˘ken, Akuma and Co are not from Sh˘tokan but from Ansatsuken ( "slayer fist"). They 're considered as shotokan fighters because of misunderstanding from capcom US.
NB: Street Fighter seems to be inspired by Soeno Sensei from Shidokan Karate.

Last edited by Kiryu; 07-16-2008 at 06:27 PM.